5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP...Y-pipe Noise/Banging...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 08:48 AM

HELP...Y-pipe Noise/Banging...

Have any of you with the new Cattman ypipe had a similar problem? The pipe is banging against something underneath. I got it installed last weekend and this week I'm hearing a pretty loud banging noise when I launch and into 2nd gear at full throttle. I read a few threads on this and some people suggested putting washers or something to lower the cross member....(But I don't think this related to Cattmans new pipe)

Could the people with the gen2 cattman ypipe post their opinions and what they've done to fix this....thanks and Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2002, 09:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is a general problem with the y-pipes. The pipe is hitting the crossmember under the car. Search on y-pipe and bang to see other threads about this...you can put some washers in between the crossmember and the frame to lower it slightly. One of the threads out there, I posted the exact number and size of washers I used to solve the problem.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:42 AM

Do you have an aftermarket Exhaust??? Do this. Loosen the B Pipe from the final exhaust section. Have someone push the Final Exhaust section up and then bolt it down again. Mine was banging into the rear axle and thats how I fixed it. Good Luck.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:47 AM

Thanks guys for such a prompt response.

Pioneer- I do have a Greddy Evo Cat-back, but I don't think it's the exhaust hitting the axle. I had the Cat-back before the y-pipe and didn't have problems with it.

MichaelAE- I think I read that thread. I'll get the details from that thread again. However, If you guys remember, I had posted that I was having problems with the 5spd tranny. The dealer finally checked it and said that it doesn't feel right. The mgr is going to test drive it after the holidays and will determine if they should replace the entire tranny under warranty. So should I wait and get the tranny problem fixed before I mess with the cross-member. Won't they have to take out the ypipe and exhaust to replace the tranny?

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Smokin' X-press
Thanks guys for such a prompt response.

Pioneer- I do have a Greddy Evo Cat-back, but I don't think it's the exhaust hitting the axle. I had the Cat-back before the y-pipe and didn't have problems with it.

MichaelAE- I think I read that thread. I'll get the details from that thread again. However, If you guys remember, I had posted that I was having problems with the 5spd tranny. The dealer finally checked it and said that it doesn't feel right. The mgr is going to test drive it after the holidays and will determine if they should replace the entire tranny under warranty. So should I wait and get the tranny problem fixed before I mess with the cross-member. Won't they have to take out the ypipe and exhaust to replace the tranny?

Thanks.
I say leave the car the way it is right now until the dealer takes care of the Y-Pipe situation. If anything, see if you can take the Y-pipe off before you take it into the shop. Some dealers will try to blame the problem on the mod.

The Factory Y-pipe has hangers to keep it in the air. The Catman Y hangs in the air so it lowers the whole B-Pipe/Rear Section. Now I did see where Cattman has changed his design a bit and put a hanger on it.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:39 PM

Stiffer polyurethane engine mounts also fixes the problem. Kill two birds with one stone, reduce wheel hop drasticly and get rid of the y-pipe banging.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:48 PM

also u might want to check and see if the rubber hangers in the back loosened up a little. mine didnt want to support the wieght of the exhaust and was banging across a thin metal beam right after the cat every time id take a hard turn of speed bump ect... if that happens to be the case just throw on a clamp around each hanger and tighten it up a bit. solved my banging problem. i though i had bad struts at first since it was coming from the rear, i also though it might of been the y-pipe but since the noise was from the rear is couldnt be. stupid rubber hangers.