5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Owners....Please help ease my mind...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 08:55 AM

2003 Owners....Please help ease my mind...

Hi guys,

I hate to be one of those whiny, wishy-washy types, but I need the real dirt on 2003 Maximas. See, I just settled my lawsuit over my 2001 (and won, by the way), and I really like the Maxima in general so I am looking to buy an '03.

So what's the real scoop? Are the Maximas really okay overall, and did I just get a real piece of crap? If you had it to do over again, would you buy the Max or a different, comparable car?

If you could reply soon, that would help. I'm officially rid of this lemon as of 1:00 eastern time and I need to get a new car before school starts up.

If it makes any difference, I'm definitely going for the 6 speed.

Jack
maxima@falconkits.com
Old 12-27-2002, 08:59 AM

Get it (even though I have an 02 6spd). I made the change from 2000 GLE to 02 SE 6spd and I would do it again.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:07 AM

Re: 2003 Owners....Please help ease my mind...

Originally posted by jsmith24
Hi guys,

I hate to be one of those whiny, wishy-washy types, but I need the real dirt on 2003 Maximas. See, I just settled my lawsuit over my 2001 (and won, by the way), and I really like the Maxima in general so I am looking to buy an '03.

So what's the real scoop? Are the Maximas really okay overall, and did I just get a real piece of crap? If you had it to do over again, would you buy the Max or a different, comparable car?

If you could reply soon, that would help. I'm officially rid of this lemon as of 1:00 eastern time and I need to get a new car before school starts up.

Jack
maxima@falconkits.com
Well, I own a 2002. But I'll give you my $0.02:

I'm a strong believer that when a car comes out with a new body style, it takes them a couple of years to work out the kinks. This body style was released 00, so with the 01, they were still working out a few things here and there. I drove an 01, and the 02 felt much more solid. The only problem I've had is my seat memory switch (which I am still trying to get fixed...but the mechanics said that it's some fluke thing and they have to call their tech support line in Cali to get some help on it, but that's besides the fact.) Overall I am extremely pleased with this car. I test drove a number of other cars and I wasn't happy with the feel, or overall "off the line" power they had compared to the Maxima. It just didn't feel right, inside and out. The only reason I didn't get an 03 was because I bought my 02 a few months ago while they were having the year end clearance sales, so I got a "deal" on my 02.

If I had to do it over again, I think I would either buy a Maxima or a Hummer (new body style, so I would wait a few years on it)... (both are comparable ). I did go from a 1994 Max to a 2002 Maxima, so I def. like the kind of quality these cars have. Plus you can get HIDs and Navigation with an 03!

Congrats on your case, and let us know how you make out with your decision process!
Old 12-27-2002, 09:52 AM

I am happy with my 03 SE except the rattles from the right front dash when the temperature drops below 40. This is my third Maxima and bought it because I can't find another 4-door new vehicle with 255hp V6, with all the options for the same price.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:57 AM

buy the '03 and in a few months you have an "old" (read 5th gen, indistinguishable from all the other 5th gens to the masses) car. The worse thing anyone can do is buy a car in its last model year.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:10 AM

What's best

I totally disagree that the worst thing to do is buy a car in it's last year of a generation. In my opinion, that is the Best one to buy. The bugs are all worked out and the prices are great.

Jim
Old 12-27-2002, 10:47 AM

How about...

the G35? Have you tested one of those? My '02 is great, but its the last time I'll buy a FWD car. I'm almost accustomed to the tremendous torque steer, but wishing I had waited for the G35 coupe. And like so many have stated before Nissan service is terrible.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:52 AM

My $.02...

I'm very happy with the purchase of my 2K3 6SP. I would do it again depsite the annoying problems I've had (brake judder, dim ses light, alignment). Most of the problems with this car are minor annoyances, no show stoppers. It's very rare to read a post that says the car won't run at all with a 5th gen.

In this price bracket, there are no cars that compare. I considered many and love my Max. The new body style coming out in a few days kinda upsets me, but what can you do?

However, it might be worth it to see the new one before you buy an 03. You might like it. Also, don't be in a rush to get a car that is the worst possible position to put yourself in.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:01 AM

Re: My $.02...

Originally posted by spta97
I'm very happy with the purchase of my 2K3 6SP. I would do it again depsite the annoying problems I've had (brake judder, dim ses light, alignment). Most of the problems with this car are minor annoyances, no show stoppers. It's very rare to read a post that says the car won't run at all with a 5th gen.

In this price bracket, there are no cars that compare. I considered many and love my Max. The new body style coming out in a few days kinda upsets me, but what can you do?

However, it might be worth it to see the new one before you buy an 03. You might like it. Also, don't be in a rush to get a car that is the worst possible position to put yourself in.

I'm not too happy with the new body style either.. it's something I'll have to get used to looking at. Then again I haven't seen it in person either. But one thing is since it's a whole new body... the first year (2004) is most likely going to have quite a few problems with it... unless Nissan did a lot of testing with it.. We'll soon see I'm sure.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:12 AM

Hi guys,

Jack
maxima@falconkits.com
I own a 2K3 SE and I'm beginning to dislike the car mostly because I found out that the horsepower (255) is overrated and Nissan customer service is crappy just to mention a few negative points. If you have a little more money to spend, buy an Infinity G35/I35 or an Acura TL-S. Apparently their power is not exaggerated and you'll get much better customer service from the dealerships.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:27 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

what? you just settled a suit on the 2k1 and you want another Nissan? errr, are you nuts? I suppose you had to lemon law of because something they refused to fix. Nothing has changed there.

While the new 5th gens are more feature packed, I believe cost cutting has led to less reliable parts. Really, the 00's have less problems than '03's (however, auto trannies improved, manuals declined). Just search the board. We have NEVER had the kind of discontented maxima owner posts that we've had since the 02's hit. Go ahead, search back. Its really pretty shocking. Most of the 00 owner complaints are still present in current builds. Dash rattle and wind noise? We've had the problem since day one, I really have not heard of any change in the apillar and seals to correct this. So, it really makes me wonder why they wouldnt address these problems that are so obvious.

I'm fairly sure the only Nissan I would consider again would be an Infiniti. Same good engineering, but the committment to service is there.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by TimW
I'm fairly sure the only Nissan I would consider again would be an Infiniti. Same good engineering, but the committment to service is there.
As the brittish say: spot on.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:21 PM
Banned

I bought my 2003 6sp about a month ago (still have only 750 miles on it), and haven't had any big problems (duh, it's still relatively new...) I do, however, have same of the small annoyances that others have mentioned (interior rattles and the shifter is a little notchy when it's cold out), but nothing major.

I haven't been able to really open my car up yet as it's still being broken in, but I did get on the test drive Max, and it sure kicked me back into the seat--quite a nice experience for a $26K car. As far as its competition in this price bracket, it's by far the best you can get for the money.

I haven't had experience with Nissan service yet, but I'll take everyone's claim that it leaves a lot to be desired. However, don't forget, that some people on this forum have found dealerhips that do a great job and treat their customers well. By the way, if you go and look at www.acura-tl.com or www.acura-cl.com forums, it seems like a lot of Acura owners aren't happy with Acura service. Also, they have squeeks and rattles in the car as well, and some people who own both a TL-S and a Max say that the Acura is even more rattle prone.

I don't know what to say about the 255hp issue, but it may or may not be true. In either case, just see how it accelerates, and if you like it, it doesn't matter how much hp is doing it, what matters is that you like the pickup.

Also, I think a lot of the problems that people have with the Max are on modded cars, not stock. I don't know what you plan on doing with you car regarding mods, but it seems that if you keep it stock (or close to stock), you shouldn't have a lot of problems. The car is, after all, a family sedan that has a lot of oomph, but I don't think you can expect to drive it like a ferrari and have no problems as a result. I plan on driving it hard once in a while, but nothing too crazy, and not too frequent. The options that you get with the car for the price simply cannot be beat, and overall, I would DEFINITELY buy it again.

My two pennies.

***EDIT***
As far as the 2004 is concerned, keep in mind that it's going up in price significantly. Although there's no official pricing yet, everybody knows that it will be priced a few grand higher than the current 2003 (MSRP wise). You can get a great deal on fully-loaded 2003 6sp right now, but when the 2004's come out, there will be no discounts since it's new. And I don't think that getting a car at the end of its production cycle is a bad thing. I, for one, do not like the way 2004s look, and it may indeed grow on me in the future, but not right now. Just something to think about.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:17 PM

2003 SE auto

Happy so far, not base considering I paid $21,500 for a base SE that still comes pretty well equipped (compared to Accord/Camry) for the base features. I could have gotten a 6-spd base for the same price. Best car/power/features for the money in my opinion. If you wanna go different, I'd drive the Accord Coupe 6-spd or the Mazda6 5-spd... The Accord is supposed to be 14.5 stock (C&D issue) in the 6-spd format .. can't vouch for realworld numbers, we all know how those go. You won't have the torque but you'll have that VTEC power up high.

A few rattles in my Max, some suspension noises .. all checked out by the dealer, some rattles fixed, suspension is "working as designed"

For what I paid, I'd definitely do it again.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Max and TL -- in case you hadn't heard

I've been researching for my next car and was originally planning on a used 2k2 Max based on the widely heralded "bang for the buck" factor, but have been concerned about the hp, paint, squeaks/rattles, and service issues. Recently, I've been thinking of getting a 2k2 Acura TL-S since the cost is only a few thousand more and I'll get power plus all the bells and whistles I want standard (with great style IMHO) and I think I can stretch it financially. However, I have been doing some reading on acura-tl.com and a great number of TL owners are apparently having major tranny issues including complete failure at highway speeds. Some have had the tranny replaced multiple times--even up to 4 times or had it blow under 10-15k miles! I was shocked when I read that. The safety issue prompted a September article in the LA Times and Honda subsequently extended the drivetrain warranty to 100k miles on 1.2 million cars including the TL, CL, Prelude, Accord and Odyssey. I used to own an Integra and was very happy with the quality (90k with only a few minor glitches) so I was surprised. From all my reading on this board I haven't heard of too many 5th gen owners having such major problems. Rattles and squeaks are one thing, 2 or 3 trannys are another. I'm thinking twice and thrice and will probably hold off on any decision till Feb. I guess there really is no such thing as a problem-free vehicle
Old 12-27-2002, 01:41 PM

Re: Max and TL -- in case you hadn't heard

Originally posted by dobiegillis
The safety issue prompted a September article in the LA Times and Honda subsequently extended the drivetrain warranty to 100k miles on 1.2 million cars including the TL, CL, Prelude, Accord and Odyssey.
Would you happen to have a link to the article or know when it appeared. The wife is hauling two kids around in an '02 Oddysey (and I haven signed up in the Oddysey org... )
Old 12-27-2002, 01:50 PM

Re: Re: Max and TL -- in case you hadn't heard

Originally posted by CCS2k1Max

Would you happen to have a link to the article or know when it appeared. The wife is hauling two kids around in an '02 Oddysey (and I haven signed up in the Oddysey org... )
The '02 Odyssey wasn't effected, just the 2000-2001 model years. The TL and CL's included 2000-2002 and some 2003s.

Here is the Honda press release:
http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/corp/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***003411***-wieck_media***-***corp(directory)***.ws4d?corp/results(r)_text.html

Here is the article I was referring to but it specifically focuses on the TL Type-S:
http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...album07&id=aap
http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...album07&id=aaq

Here is one of many links regarding the tranny problems on acura-tl.com:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...k&pagenumber=1
Old 12-27-2002, 01:51 PM

Thanks DG!
Old 12-27-2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by CCS2k1Max
Thanks DG!
Well I'd do some additional research on the Odyssey if I were you. Honda isn't extending the warranty on the 99 TL despite a lot of complaints on its tranny.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:56 PM

14k and so far so good. I'll mention it to my wife to keep a watch over it.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:37 PM

Does the Oddessy engine have VTEC?
Old 12-27-2002, 05:58 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Hi guys,

Jack
maxima@falconkits.com
i wouldn't do it all over again if i could, i would get a G35 hands down. the 2k2-up's suffer from too much cost cutting my 95 was much more solid then this hunk.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:50 PM

Re: Re: 2003 Owners....Please help ease my mind...

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

i wouldn't do it all over again if i could, i would get a G35 hands down. the 2k2-up's suffer from too much cost cutting my 95 was much more solid then this hunk.
Well, there are two reasons why I won't go the Infiniti route - 1) No manual transmission (that's a deal breaker for me). As long as I can push a clutch, it'll be a manual. 2) Infiniti's cost more. That's a simpler deal breaker.

Thanks for the input, though. Every opinion helps...and at least you stayed on topic! (Sorry guys!)

Jack
Old 12-27-2002, 08:06 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I thought I was saving money too...

after your lawyer fees and time missed at work camping out at the dealer, you really think the Infiniti was more? I'm not being unrealistic, I did the math for myself. I would have come out about the same, just less all the hassle.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:45 PM

Hi guys,

Jack
maxima@falconkits.com
Hi Jack
I have 2002 MAXIMA,AND I TELL YOU ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY CAR:
I had 2 recalls for 2002

Nissan Has Recalled the 2002 Maxima because the engine malfunction indicator lamp to come on and the engine speed to be severely limited. If this occurs unexpectedly, it could lead to a crash.

. It is a great car.This car handles great,this car is great! This car has more hp then most V8's. For the price there is not a better car.Anyone looking for a great sports car with a reasonable price should look at the Maxima. If sporty handling with great acceleration is what you need try the SE.(0-60,6.0sec)I love the kick in this Nissan 2002 Maxima SE car. The stereo controls in the steering wheel and the keyless remote that allows you the lower the windows is a nice touch.I already racked up 7200 miles. This is my first Maxima and I love it! I looked at the Altima several times before settling on the Maxima. The Altima is a great car, but it's a poor man's Maxima. The Maxima's performance, handling, and interior quality are too much for the Altima.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE RECALL GO TO-www.safetyalerts.com OR

www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/02/v00104.htm

After 7 month I have this car I receive another Recall notice!

REASON FOR RECALL
ONE OF THE PARTS OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION ON YOUR VEHICLE WHICH IS CALLED THE TRANSVERSE LINK MAY BREAK WHERE IT IS MOUNTED TO THE FRAME.THIS MAY CAUSE A KNOCKING SOUND AND ABNORMAL STEERING.THIS MAY RESULT IN DIFFICULTY CONTROLLING THE VEHICLE WHICH ,IF IGNORED,COULD CAUSE A CRASH.

another problem I had with my 2002 Maxima,my check engine light was on!

CAUSE:OPEN CIRCUIT

NISSAN DEALER REPLACE THE AIR FLOW METER/BRACKET,FREE OF CHARGE.

IM WORRY WHAT WILL BE NEXT ,but You know what I love my Car