5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2000 5 spd Maxima is still stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 01:26 PM

My 2000 5 spd Maxima is still stalling

I had the Stillen High Flow Intake on my car for 1 year(6500 miles). I experienced some stalling on the car every now and then when I came to a stop. The RPMs would drop below idle and and at times the car would shut off. This would happen occasionally. As time went by the problem became worse. I ended up cleaning the throttle body and that seemed to help. Well, time went by and a couple of weeks ago my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. I took it to the dealer and they reprogrammed/updated the ECU. The SES light turned off, but the car was still stalling Today, I took off the Stillen Intake and reinstalled the Nissan Airbox. I took the car out for a test drive and the car is stalling worse than before!!!!! Just about at every stop, the RPMs drop way below idle and some of the times it shuts down. Any of you experience this? Any idea what the problem still might be???It seems like the car ran better with the aftermarket intake. Any input would be appreciated.........THANKS
Old 12-30-2002, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My 2000 5 spd Maxima is still stalling

Originally posted by Dave Lopez
I had the Stillen High Flow Intake on my car for 1 year(6500 miles). I experienced some stalling on the car every now and then when I came to a stop. The RPMs would drop below idle and and at times the car would shut off. This would happen occasionally. As time went by the problem became worse. I ended up cleaning the throttle body and that seemed to help. Well, time went by and a couple of weeks ago my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. I took it to the dealer and they reprogrammed/updated the ECU. The SES light turned off, but the car was still stalling Today, I took off the Stillen Intake and reinstalled the Nissan Airbox. I took the car out for a test drive and the car is stalling worse than before!!!!! Just about at every stop, the RPMs drop way below idle and some of the times it shuts down. Any of you experience this? Any idea what the problem still might be???It seems like the car ran better with the aftermarket intake. Any input would be appreciated.........THANKS
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check the intake hose between the MAF and throttle body for cracks or leaks.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:44 PM

Hmm ... I have the same problem! Though it doesn't seem to be occuring quite as frequently as you mention.

I'll check the vacuum hose tomorrow ...

Old 12-31-2002, 08:22 AM

BAD MAF, the cleaning solvent maybe removing the coating from the electronic devices and hence the 'its getting worse' .. my .02
Old 12-31-2002, 10:29 AM

Re: Re: My 2000 5 spd Maxima is still stalling

Originally posted by optimus1

BAD MAF, the cleaning solvent maybe removing the coating from the electronic devices and hence the 'its getting worse' .. my .02
Thanks for the input so far. Anyone else?
Old 12-31-2002, 12:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: My 2000 5 spd Maxima is still stalling

Thanks for the input so far. Anyone else?
i had the same problem. in my case, i accidentally left one vacuum hose unplugged after re-installing my intake. i plugged it back in, and now it doesn't stall any more.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: My 2000 5 spd Maxima is still stalling

Originally posted by irvine78

i had the same problem. in my case, i accidentally left one vacuum hose unplugged after re-installing my intake. i plugged it back in, and now it doesn't stall any more.
I thought that I checked all of the hoses. Ill check it again tomorrow when its daylight. Hoon, have you had any MAF problems?
Old 12-31-2002, 07:10 PM

If all of your vacuum hoses checked out okay, then you need to clean your MAF. I had a real problem with my car stalling too. Everyone said the MAF was bad. It was just covered in oil and dirt. Car runs great now.

ADMAN
Old 01-01-2003, 12:07 PM

Re: Re: My 2000 5 spd Maxima is still stalling

Originally posted by adman
If all of your vacuum hoses checked out okay, then you need to clean your MAF. I had a real problem with my car stalling too. Everyone said the MAF was bad. It was just covered in oil and dirt. Car runs great now.

ADMAN
Adman, how did you clean the MAF? I checked under the hood today and I found one hose that was not attached to anything. However, I could not find what it connects to(if it does connect to something). This hose is in the front, near the AIR INLET area where the air comes in from the front of the hood. Its about 3 to 4 inches long and it does not appear to attch to anything
Old 01-01-2003, 07:31 PM

Adman, how did you clean the MAF? I checked under the hood today and I found one hose that was not attached to anything. However, I could not find what it connects to(if it does connect to something). This hose is in the front, near the AIR INLET area where the air comes in from the front of the hood. Its about 3 to 4 inches long and it does not appear to attch to anything
Ill update you guys after I go to the dealer tomorrow 1/2
Old 01-01-2003, 07:46 PM

That's probably the transmission pressure release hose (not sure of the exact name). It's supposed to be open to the air.

I think it's the MAF. Do you oil the Stillen filter? You might have over-oiled and got some oil on the MAF. Do a search for "clean MAF" and you'll find some how-to's to clean the MAF.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:59 AM

Glad I searched before posting--after going through hell getting a known bad ignition coil replaced, I am back to the intermittent stalling, just like yours. Since the car can be warm when it stalls, I don't think it's the ECM flash, but that's what I wanted to ask about. Now I need to find what this MAF is, and where to check all the lines. I want to avoid dealer hell at all costs
Old 01-07-2003, 09:26 PM

have u checked the O2 sensor? i've had the same problem on a 92 Dodge Spirit with it stalling everytime i stopped.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:36 PM

It's definatly your Mass air flow meter(sensor). Go to www.car-parts.com and get one cheap.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by emax95
It's definatly your Mass air flow meter(sensor). Go to www.car-parts.com and get one cheap.
Try cleaning it first, some others have had success with that.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:49 AM

I saw another post regarding the secure Torx screws holding the MAF sensor in place--there was question regarding what tools were required. Looks to be a T-20; just bought one, and am going to try removing and cleaning mine tonight. And, am going to buy a Nissan shop manaul this weekend--signed up for Alldata last night, and very disappointed. Nothing on the MAF, other than what it does, i.e. not even a replacement procedure. Maybe I did not know where to look.

Gotta admit I never thought I would have to become an expert mechanic with a 38,000 mile car after only 3 months of ownership

You all have been incredibly helpful, and this is a great site.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:53 PM

Stalling problem fixed?? Base Idle

All,

After checking and cleaning the MAF, I took it to another dealer. The report back is that the ECU lost the base idle setting. Of course, I asked how this could happen, and was given reasons that don't make sense, at lest not to me. It's not like I pulled the battery or poked around the ECU--this started before my coil failed.

So far, the car seems to run OK, and no stalls yet. Only 20 miles, though! I did a search for base idle, and did not see anything other than posts regarding changing base idle--nothing about losing it.

If the car is indeed fixed, great. Just wondering what others think, and if I'm in store for a re-occurrence of this 'lost' setting.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2003, 08:46 AM

Re: Stalling problem fixed?? Base Idle

Originally posted by dvanorder
All,

After checking and cleaning the MAF, I took it to another dealer. The report back is that the ECU lost the base idle setting. Of course, I asked how this could happen, and was given reasons that don't make sense, at lest not to me. It's not like I pulled the battery or poked around the ECU--this started before my coil failed.

So far, the car seems to run OK, and no stalls yet. Only 20 miles, though! I did a search for base idle, and did not see anything other than posts regarding changing base idle--nothing about losing it.

If the car is indeed fixed, great. Just wondering what others think, and if I'm in store for a re-occurrence of this 'lost' setting.

Thanks
Sorry that it took me so long to reply back on this topic. Here is what happened at the dealer recently. I took my car back a second time because of the stalling(I had reinstalled the stock airbox). I insisted that the problem was the MAF sensor. The Asst Service Mgr,who I usually deal with, said he would look into it. A couple of hours later he called me to his office and explained to me that it was NOT the MAF. The technician/mechanic adjusted the idle. Well, I was a little skeptical but I gave the car a good test drive and ever since( a week and a half)the car has been running fine. The idle is now set at about 850 rpms.
I truly miss the my Stillen intake. I miss the hiss and growl coming from under the hood, but if it means that my car will not stall any more ,I will leave it stock with only my modified exhaust. By the way, I have a K and N drop in filter in the stock airbox. I dont think that there is anything wrong with my Stillen Intake. If I knew that the low idle was the only thing wrong with the car, i would have left it on. Oh well, I may be selling my Stillen Intake in the near future. Lets see if Nismo will be making an intake for my 2000 Maxima