5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Third Brake Light Add ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 01:59 PM
wpr

Third Brake Light Add ?

I'm thinking about adding a third brake light (the more lights the better chance someone will see them!) and was wondering what the folks here thought of this.

I had a 93 GXE to which I added a spoiler so it had both the 3rd light and the brake light on the spoiler and I thought it looked OK.

How difficult would it be to add the 3rd light, especially from an electrical viewpoint?

Any opinions welcome. If you have one you might like to sell, please contact me.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:34 PM

Damn...wish I had kept the third light when the Nissan dealership installed my spoiler...

My personal opinion is that it looks dumb having the extra light, because then everyone knows that the wing on the back of the car wasn't stock, or the person installing it was lazy,

but on the other hand...I do see your point about avoiding accidents.

It might be a little difficult on the SEs, since there's no cutout behind the back seat already for the light. I don't know if there's even wiring under there for a third brake light. I know that there's wiring in the trunk from the spoiler, so you might be able to do a custom job and wire a third brake light from inside the trunk by tapping into the spoiler light. I'm just guessing here though, your best bet would be to ask a Nissan service guy what the wiring is like in your trunk and if it would be possible.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Play with my balls

Re: Third Brake Light Add ?

Originally posted by wpr
I'm thinking about adding a third brake light (the more lights the better chance someone will see them!) and was wondering what the folks here thought of this.

I had a 93 GXE to which I added a spoiler so it had both the 3rd light and the brake light on the spoiler and I thought it looked OK.

How difficult would it be to add the 3rd light, especially from an electrical viewpoint?

Any opinions welcome. If you have one you might like to sell, please contact me.
I added a fourth brake light in my car and it was off of a 2000 honda accord spoiler, that i got practically new from a junk yard. the wire was long enough, so i poped the headliner and then mounted it there on the rear windshield, then ran the wire along the rear pillars, and behind the rear seats, then along the underside of the rear deck where the speakers are on the inside of the trunk. strip tie was used to keep the wires from dangling. I found the wire that ran from my spoiler that was located on the underside of the trunk lid, and tapped the wire into the brake light that runs to the spoiler. Works great and looks great with the location.........O this is on a Legend Coupe, but will work the same with the Max.