5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Had a little fun tonight.. kinda long...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 09:57 PM

well I was on my way home tonight with my friend in the car... we were about to go to my house and chill a little... play some playstation... so im at the light ready to make a left turn and next to me a red 5.0 gt 1995 rustang auto pulls up... he is with his gf in the car... and im like yo i wanna try this... so i shut my turning signal off and i give him a good look... the light turns green and i go first and i drive to the next light about 5 blocks down and make sure he is following me so he turns to... he turns and we start going... i had 2 mistakes this night against the same guy...1st mistake: we start going... i had O/D off but for some F-in reason i think im in 2 so i shift it... guess waht im in N now... so he starts gaining but i drop it back to D... well we both stop and we start talkin... he was like yo u wanna race for watches? and im like um no.. cause hehe.. i sell watches... but i was like lets do this for fun... so we go a few blocks away were there are no cars and we pull up next to eachother and the GF calls out 1, 2, ... 3... this is the Second mistake: Im in 1st... (i was torque breaking a little about to 2000 rpm) so i slam the gas ( i took traction control off) and im just standing and spinning... he was spinning to but he changed gears i guess and he went... so i shifted to 2nd but guess what i was at 7500 RPM!!!!!!!!! we had snow over the weekend here in nyc but the road was pretty clean where we were i was sooo scared that i F-ed up the tranny but i went with him he didnt gain any ground... but i was soooo pissed i knew i could of taken him... but we pull over and i start talkin to him about modding cars and this and that... and turns out he is a real cool guy... this is the first mustang owner that ive met thats really cool.. well that was that and i wanna find another rustang to take... especially when the roads get dryer around here... sorry bout the long post..
-danny
Old 01-03-2001, 11:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah, that's some pretty risky rpm's mine won't go a grand under that.
Old 01-03-2001, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
Yeah, that's some pretty risky rpm's mine won't go a grand under that.
i was sooo scared... i didnt know what to do... but i hear people talking about rev limiters and other stuff liek that and i didnt feel/hear anything of that sort...
Old 01-04-2001, 06:05 AM
Got Bent?

Yikes...7500 rpm is a bit much....but hey, hopefully your engine is just fine.
Old 01-04-2001, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
ye i mean i drove it after and everything was just fine... i only have 6500k on the car so im hoping if anything does happen it happeneds soon so i can take the car in under warenty
Old 01-04-2001, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When people talk about rpm limiters I think they are refering to the manual trans. Usually, they will cut off the gas to the engine if the rpm goes too high. I've read that the main reason why they have some of the limiters is that the accessories that the engine runs cannot handle high rpm's. That's where under drive pullys come in hand.
What would have happened if you leave it in drive with od on, then floor it? Which is better, the method you did, or just letting the auto tranny handle it? What is the maximun rpm that an auto tranny will shift at if you leave it in OD?
Old 01-04-2001, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by SE MaN
When people talk about rpm limiters I think they are refering to the manual trans. Usually, they will cut off the gas to the engine if the rpm goes too high. I've read that the main reason why they have some of the limiters is that the accessories that the engine runs cannot handle high rpm's. That's where under drive pullys come in hand.
What would have happened if you leave it in drive with od on, then floor it? Which is better, the method you did, or just letting the auto tranny handle it? What is the maximun rpm that an auto tranny will shift at if you leave it in OD?

well when i shift myself i can take to redline/almost redline and when u let it shift by itself it shifts only at 6200 rpms which doenst use up the power to all its potential.. to me it seems like if i shift i feel better... i drive it like a stick a lot... its not that good for the tranny though but i figure if im racing it aint good for the car either so atleast lemme race to its best potential well im sure there are more experienced people on here who can put all this in more technical terms and stuff but i just think/feel its faster when i do it on my own... i dunno i guess someone who times there 1/4 mile in an auto should try either variety... well thats that..
Old 01-04-2001, 09:05 PM
wht2kmax

There is a rev limiter inyour car whether its an auto or stick, has nothing to with the tranny. Its actually there to protect the accessories thats attached to the engine from flying off. The VQ has the potential to go to 7000RPM.

Old 01-05-2001, 05:56 AM
Got Bent?

Will shifting your auto manually really screw up the tranny? I really don't think it should unless you do something stupid like shifting into first at 80 mph. I mean it is still shifting on its own, just at a different point which you determine. In that way, it is just like one of those sportshift transmissions.
Old 01-05-2001, 11:11 AM

Will shifting your auto manually really screw up the tranny? I really don't think it should unless you do something stupid like shifting into first at 80 mph. I mean it is still shifting on its own, just at a different point which you determine. In that way, it is just like one of those sportshift transmissions.

well i dunno how bad it is but u are usually shifting a little later than the auto would shift itself so u are taking it into higher rpms but i dunno i still shift my auto as a manual a lot... whatever happends happends... if anyone has any technical info on this that would be cool...
Old 01-05-2001, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by psing23
ye i mean i drove it after and everything was just fine... i only have 6500k on the car so im hoping if anything does happen it happeneds soon so i can take the car in under warenty
I'd laugh at the dealer if they actually fixxed your car under warrenty if it blew up at 7,500rpms.....Its not mechanical error, it was driver error....what story would you give them?
Old 01-05-2001, 11:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hehe...

you auto drivers!!!
Old 01-05-2001, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
Originally posted by psing23
I'd laugh at the dealer if they actually fixxed your car under warrenty if it blew up at 7,500rpms.....Its not mechanical error, it was driver error....what story would you give them?

dont worry getting it changed at the dealer wouldnt be a problem... my dad is very good friends with owners of the biggest dealership in nyc area... they wouldnt give us sht about it... but my dad would say he was driving it and it just _________ (whatever symptoms there are) without him doing anything... they know my dad isnt going to be revving this car up to 7500 or even 6250 lol... the only problem is the hassle... i had a problem on my isuzu rodeo... i was doing a lot of neutral drops and everytime u would press the gas on it the tires would like skip in the begining.. the only way to avoid this was to press the gas lightly from the start... well we took a drive to the dealer we left it in the morning picked it up at night and they changed a bunch of ****.. new headers and what not... whatever they did it was perfect since.. then (still hate isuzus) just the pain of going to dealer and leaving the car and then having to come pick it up sux...
Old 01-05-2001, 05:47 PM
Got Bent?

i had a problem on my isuzu rodeo... i was doing a lot of neutral drops
ACK!!! NO NEUTRAL DROPS dont ever do a neutral drop on an automatic....you will kill the transmission. But if you want to destroy the car...then it's ok.
Old 01-06-2001, 10:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Auto tranny's are weak as it is. I still can't believe what your doing to them. I would get a shift kit, and/or have the pcm reprogrammed to delay the shift. A shift kit will make faster shifts. I have heard pros and cons about shift kits, so if you like to beat up on your tranny, these could be some worth while while mods to consider. Unfortunatly, I am not to familar with maximas, so take this with salt. Also I do not know if shift kits exist for maximas. Also, these mods may void your warranty...