5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tire Question. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 06:22 AM

Tire Question. Please help!

I live in upstate NY and its been snowing quite a bit lately. The stock potenzas are really crappy and ive been skidding all over and have virtually no traction (only 15k miles on them too).

I want to get the Michelin Pilot A/S, but cant afford a set of 4. Is it ok to buy just 2 and put them on the front since this is a FF car? I figure the rear wheels dont really need new tires even though i do fishtail around corners. Im thinking a set of new tires in the front will fix this crappy traction problem. Any thoughts? Has anyone else gotten only 2 new tires before?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:38 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Tire Question. Please help!

don't do it. Different tires with different traction will make your ride even worse than it is now. There are plenty of good $90 snow tires that will get you through 3 or 4 winters, or even just this one winter while you save up for better ones next year.

So my vote... DO NOT put different tires on the front than you have on the back.

Originally posted by NewbieMaxOwner
I live in upstate NY and its been snowing quite a bit lately. The stock potenzas are really crappy and ive been skidding all over and have virtually no traction (only 15k miles on them too).

I want to get the Michelin Pilot A/S, but cant afford a set of 4. Is it ok to buy just 2 and put them on the front since this is a FF car? I figure the rear wheels dont really need new tires even though i do fishtail around corners. Im thinking a set of new tires in the front will fix this crappy traction problem. Any thoughts? Has anyone else gotten only 2 new tires before?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2003, 10:25 AM

How come having two diffferent tires in the front and rear will result in even worse handling? Won't the better tires in the front give it the traction it needs to "pull" the rest of the car? It seems reasonable in theory.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Maxima Pilot

Theory yes, in practice this will likely induce

hideous and unpredictable oversteer, meaning the fronts will grip but the rears will slide just as they do now.

Look at it this way you'll still whatever you were gonna hit before, except you'll destroy your rear end instead of your front end...

Dont do it...get some snows or something
Old 01-07-2003, 11:02 AM
It's chrome alright...

for a quick and easy example... you have super-sticky snows on the front and slicks on the rear. When you take a corner the snows are going to stick like glue and the rear is going to want to break loose and slide all over.

It sounds like you want to buy the Michelins... go ahead, but you won't be happy until you get the other 2.

Originally posted by NewbieMaxOwner
How come having two diffferent tires in the front and rear will result in even worse handling? Won't the better tires in the front give it the traction it needs to "pull" the rest of the car? It seems reasonable in theory.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:40 PM

Tires on snow

What i suggest if you have a chance to come in Canada and change your brigstone for Some NOKIAN nrw .You will have a saving in the exchange for sure you will have a 50% discount with the exchange
MAXRT
Old 01-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Replace all four or none at all.

A good cheap snow is Bridgestone WS-50 Blizzaks
Old 01-07-2003, 12:53 PM

Re: Tires on snow

Originally posted by maxrt
What i suggest if you have a chance to come in Canada and change your brigstone for Some NOKIAN nrw .You will have a saving in the exchange for sure you will have a 50% discount with the exchange
MAXRT
???? More info please. I'd drive to Canada for a deal on some good tires. Are those only sold in Canada then?
Old 01-07-2003, 01:31 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Tires on snow

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
???? More info please. I'd drive to Canada for a deal on some good tires. Are those only sold in Canada then?
You can get them in the states...just use the store locator...

http://www.nokiantires.com/
Old 01-07-2003, 01:31 PM

winter tires

No those are sold in states also.
You could ckeck on the site of
WWW.MAGSANDTIRES.COM to get info and prices.
They have different brand
MaxRt
Old 01-07-2003, 03:23 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Tires on snow

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
if they were only sold in canada they'd be nokia-eh's
Old 01-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tires on snow

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

if they were only sold in canada they'd be nokia-eh's
Now, that's funny, eh!