5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OT, but check out the 2005 Stang! (pic's)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 09:52 AM

OT, but check out the 2005 Stang! (pic's)

I realize this is a little OT, but check out the 2005 Mustang.

I don't have any plans on tradin'-out of my Max or anything, but I know that there are many ex-Stang owners (like myself) that might be interested.

Sorry if you've already seen em...
http://www.bradbarnett.net/mustangs/...197/index.html
Old 01-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I bet they will tone it down a little bit for the production version. I like some of the styling cues, but there are a few things that I am not sure of yet.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:01 AM
I'm needing a caw

That is a VERY,VERY good blend of retro and modern styling. I love the retro styled tail lights(I wonder if the blink sequentially like the old Mercury Cougar did?) I'm on the fence regarding the retro speedo. Nice idea but I don't know how easy it will be to read. And the boost guage is in a hard to read spot right near the shifter.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:05 AM
vqman

it's on the cover of MT magazine....and the bigger picture shows more

the grille looks like crap up close...your pics don't show just how ugly this thing really is...at least from the front....the side looks all right...the back?? not sure about the back...tail lights are 2 big...but I am biased...hate fords...worse than even dodge...

-vq

Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

On what basis do you hate Ford? Funny that us maxima guys are calling this "ugly". I mean ugly as compared to a 4th, 5th or 6th gen maxima??

Originally posted by VQMAN
it's on the cover of MT magazine....and the bigger picture shows more

the grille looks like crap up close...your pics don't show just how ugly this thing really is...at least from the front....the side looks all right...the back?? not sure about the back...tail lights are 2 big...but I am biased...hate fords...worse than even dodge...

-vq
Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 AM

its an improvement over the existing model.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:09 AM

That a Sharp looking car. Not sure which one looks better. The 350Z or the New Stang.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Yeah that thing is sweet! Too bad it's a Ford, but nice styling.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

looks somewhat like a 350z to me..
Old 01-07-2003, 10:37 AM

I saw that last night on Speed, thats a sweet stang... as some one said too bad its a ford.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:11 AM
It's chrome alright...

I think the speedo is cool, but overall the only thing that could help the interior is some lighter fluid and a match.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:39 AM

The roof line / rear window remind me of the late 60's - early 70s fast back.

I agree with Jeff92se, the rear lights were 70 cougarish.

In the thumbnail pic, the rear sorta reminded me of a 300z. Sorta like morphing 70 cougar lights with a late model 300z.

The roof line is unmistakenly fast-back though, just a bit smaller.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:54 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

errrr

"This concept car will not be produced--it is merely a marketing tool used to spark interest in the public."

and it's OT... very very OT. the countdown has begun.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's just a concept car... With a lot of speculation.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

The thing is when a maker goes the extra mile to actually develope a working suspension and engine, it's a clear sign that production of the vehicle is VERY possible. Ford has said before, it wanted to at least look into a retro look Mustang as it's next series or maybe make a special edition retro Mustang.

Originally posted by TimW
errrr

"This concept car will not be produced--it is merely a marketing tool used to spark interest in the public."

and it's OT... very very OT. the countdown has begun.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:05 PM

oooh that's very pretty. I especially love the front end and rear end treatments - they look retro, but not, if that's any way to describe it. from the side though it looks a little long though. I would actually consider buying that if Fords were anywhere near reliable.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:11 PM

looks like an Aston Martin to me, not realy surprising being that they are owned by Ford:

Old 01-07-2003, 12:29 PM

The interior will never be that nice in the final production version. Not unless they jack the price up like 10 grand.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:04 PM

I'd buy it with 400/390 SC and IRS!
Old 01-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Keven97SE

That car looks really, really sharp. The outside body looks perfect. I looove the fastback, not too crazy about the drop top, though. As stated earlier, it does looks like a perfect blend of retro and modern. The interior is too retro, though. It'll never make it to production. The body and wheels look "normal" enough that I could see it hitting production, though.

If my finances finally clear up, 2004.5/2005 may be when I'd be ready for a new car again. I would defffffinitely consider this car if Ford finally agrees to ditch the live rear axle and adds a modern front/rear suspension. Retro is fine for styling but not for suspensions. Personally, even if the reliability is just average, I'd still be game. Always liked working on cars and don't mind a little maintenance. This Maxima is gonna drive me nuts. Nothing ever goes wrong unless I broke it myself!

Old 01-07-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by PIONEER
That a Sharp looking car. Not sure which one looks better. The 350Z or the New Stang.
The 350Z by far. Thought the Stang is an improvement over the the current body style. But I am sticking with my Max.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:24 PM

I think it is pretty sad in the auto industry as far as designs of autos of late is concerned and the stang is a clear indication of how sad it is.
What I mean is this: The auto world has become the equivalent of the rap music world, in other words they have to steal (sampling in rap) from the old school in order to come up with something "new".

Plagirism, pure and simple, however, I see the idea of trying to blend a little of the old with a little of the new. I personally would never buy a Ford anything, I respect Mustangs but they are not for me.
I think Ford shouldn't try to duplicate the success of Nissan's 350 Z by trying to do the stang in the same fashion. Ford should go back to the drawing board and come up with something all new not borrowed (sampled) from the old school.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally posted by bk2kmax
I think it is pretty sad in the auto industry as far as designs of autos of late is concerned and the stang is a clear indication of how sad it is.
What I mean is this: The auto world has become the equivalent of the rap music world, in other words they have to steal (sampling in rap) from the old school in order to come up with something "new".

What? This is the first time that Ford has borrowed the styling of the previous gens. They are doing this ON PURPOSE to honor the original success of the 1st Mustangs.

I personally would never buy a Ford anything, I respect Mustangs but they are not for me.

Hmmm, let's see. I'd like a few AC 427 Cobras, 302 Boss Mustangs, GT 40s, maybe a European GT Cortina, a few Costworth AWD 400hp Sierras, 93 Cobra, maybe an original F100 truck, SVT Lightning.... yeah, I would NEVER have a ford product..

I think Ford shouldn't try to duplicate the success of Nissan's 350 Z by trying to do the stang in the same fashion. Ford should go back to the drawing board and come up with something all new not borrowed (sampled) from the old school.
Ah so Nissan can do it but Ford can't? You talk like Nissan is the first to do retro styling. Actually Ford's thunderbird came out years before the 350z and the preproduction retro GT40 was shown last year.

Besides, the new 350z only has very few if any previous gen Z styling cues.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:45 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

if this thread turns more to Nissan's retro styling, it will live longer.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by TimW
if this thread turns more to Nissan's retro styling, it will live longer.
I like maximas
Old 01-07-2003, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
The interior will never be that nice in the final production version. Not unless they jack the price up like 10 grand.
I think the interior is just nasty. I would pay 10 grand less to put up with that. Such a nice exterior, such a barf interior.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se

What? This is the first time that Ford has borrowed the styling of the previous gens. They are doing this ON PURPOSE to honor the original success of the 1st Mustangs.

[/b]

Hmmm, let's see. I'd like a few AC 427 Cobras, 302 Boss Mustangs, GT 40s, maybe a European GT Cortina, a few Costworth AWD 400hp Sierras, 93 Cobra, maybe an original F100 truck, SVT Lightning.... yeah, I would NEVER have a ford product..

Ah so Nissan can do it but Ford can't? You talk like Nissan is the first to do retro styling. Actually Ford's thunderbird came out years before the 350z and the preproduction retro GT40 was shown last year.

Besides, the new 350z only has very few if any previous gen Z styling cues. [/B]
'

Let me make this clear, first off I never said the Stang was ugly, I think it looks fine, second I never said that Nissan can do it and Ford can't, I know that they did it to honor past stangs and all that, I wasn't ever disputing that Ford didn't build nice cars, you are reading way too much into this and you are putting things in my mouth that I didn't say.
I thought moderators were supposed to be moderate, obviously you let your love for Ford get the best of you and you thought that I was diss'n Ford, I wasn't.
I was speaking more in general and the stang just happen to be the picture of this thread, anyway, I will say it again for you that the auto industry is either going 1 or 2 ways as far as designs is concerned.
Either they are too bland in styling or they always have to sample from the old school to try and come up with something new. I know that the Z wasn't the first to go retro, Ford did do it with that IMO ugly @$$ T-bird.
I personally wouldn't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever own a Ford, that's just me and to each his own. If you love Ford so much then that's fine, buy all the Ford products you want, I know that I wouldn't buy a Ford and it isn't because they don't build nice cars, I have my own reasons but I won't post those.
So please don't put words in my mouth and save the sarcasm for someone else.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:07 PM

hmmmm.... maxima owners judging sheetmetal? maybe you guys should have been a little more critical with your own purchases.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by Linh
hmmmm.... maxima owners judging sheetmetal? maybe you guys should have been a little more critical with your own purchases.
What does that supposed to mean?
Old 01-07-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm I can't have my opinion? Sorry! Well you mentioned that Ford shouldn't try to duplicate the success of Nissan's retro 350z styling or just the styling? How could Ford "copy" Nissan when the development of a new car takes well over a year for a concept and maybe 1-2 years for a running prototype?? So Ford copied Nissan within 1 year of the first production pics of the new Nissan 350z Z? I seriously doubt it. Especially when the styling cues are completely different. Just what parts are copied anyway?

I don't LOVE Ford. But I know better than just throw out unwarranted sweeping generalizations also. If I had a choice to own either my maxima or a Shelby GT500, WTH do you think 90% of auto enthusists would do?? But it's still a Ford right? Dissin' Ford? Well what would anyone else see your implication? "Ford should not copy the Z" + "I would never own a Ford" = glowing endorsement for Ford Mo Co?

Auto industry has bland styling? Well yes I guess. But the Mustang? Hardly. It's styling is "bland" as compared to what? The Z? I see many stolen styling cues on the Z from other makes. The Mustang is only reinventing cues from their own brand.

I can post what I want as can you. You don't like constructive debate, don't post.

BTW don't get upset, just reply to debate.

Let me make this clear, first off I never said the Stang was ugly, I think it looks fine, second I never said that Nissan can do it and Ford can't, I know that they did it to honor past stangs and all that, I wasn't ever disputing that Ford didn't build nice cars, you are reading way too much into this and you are putting things in my mouth that I didn't say.
I thought moderators were supposed to be moderate, obviously you let your love for Ford get the best of you and you thought that I was diss'n Ford, I wasn't.
I was speaking more in general and the stang just happen to be the picture of this thread, anyway, I will say it again for you that the auto industry is either going 1 or 2 ways as far as designs is concerned.
Either they are too bland in styling or they always have to sample from the old school to try and come up with something new. I know that the Z wasn't the first to go retro, Ford did do it with that IMO ugly @$$ T-bird.
I personally wouldn't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever own a Ford, that's just me and to each his own. If you love Ford so much then that's fine, buy all the Ford products you want, I know that I wouldn't buy a Ford and it isn't because they don't build nice cars, I have my own reasons but I won't post those.
So please don't put words in my mouth and save the sarcasm for someone else.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

1) If you are here, you have a 5th or maybe a 6th gen maxima
2) These gen maximas NEVER were widely acclaimed as beautiful styles either by the automotive community or onwers here at .org
3) So to have 5-6th gen owners comment on how ugly another car is(or will be) is ironic to this person. I tend to agree.

What does that supposed to mean?
Old 01-07-2003, 05:13 PM

1) If you are here, you have a 5th or maybe a 6th gen maxima
2) These gen maximas NEVER were widely acclaimed as beautiful styles either by the automotive community or onwers here at .org
3) So to have 5-6th gen owners comment on how ugly another car is(or will be) is ironic to this person. I tend to agree.

Everyone here agrees that the Max is not the best looking car on the planet but we are entitled to our opinion, after-all isn't that what this forum is about our opinions good or bad, learning, entertaining and sharing info with one another.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:28 PM

Hmm I can't have my opinion? Sorry! Well you mentioned that Ford shouldn't try to duplicate the success of Nissan's retro 350z styling or just the styling? How could Ford "copy" Nissan when the development of a new car takes well over a year for a concept and maybe 1-2 years for a running prototype?? So Ford copied Nissan within 1 year of the first production pics of the new Nissan 350z Z? I seriously doubt it. Especially when the styling cues are completely different. Just what parts are copied anyway?

I don't LOVE Ford. But I know better than just throw out unwarranted sweeping generalizations also. If I had a choice to own either my maxima or a Shelby GT500, WTH do you think 90% of auto enthusists would do?? But it's still a Ford right? Dissin' Ford? Well what would anyone else see your implication? "Ford should not copy the Z" + "I would never own a Ford" = glowing endorsement for Ford Mo Co?

Auto industry has bland styling? Well yes I guess. But the Mustang? Hardly. It's styling is "bland" as compared to what? The Z? I see many stolen styling cues on the Z from other makes. The Mustang is only reinventing cues from their own brand.

I can post what I want as can you. You don't like constructive debate, don't post.

BTW don't get upset, just reply to debate.

First off, you don't even know me enough to say anything about getting upset, I don't let the little things upset me, I thought we were having a constructive debate but you start putting out things that I said and misconstruing other things I said.
When I said that they (Ford) was copying I didn't mean the styling I meant the theme (retro, a lil bit of old with the new) second as far as I'm concerned I never got off of this constructive debate, you did when you stated that I'm upset, which I'm not.
Back to the cars, anyway most people on this board or forum will take the Shelby over the Max or just about any Nissan, but we don't represent everyone in who drive cars.
Most people couldn't handle the Shelby, so they would go for the Max or some other type of car. I too would opt for the Shelby, I just thought you were reading way too much into this and therefore started to second guess what I was trying to say.

Also I never said that the Stang was bland, I said it was fine, I was stating that the designers are going 1 or 2 ways, bland or mixing retro (sampling) with old school. I think you should probably re-read my posts again and stop misquoting or reading into what you think I'm trying to say.
Obviously, you're confused about my stance toward Ford and my mention of the styling of autos (not the mustang or Ford in general) but all automakers.
Just don't second guess me or read too much into my opinions and please stop twisting my words, this is still a constructive debate and I'm not debating the styling of the mustang, just the way autodesigners have gone about marketing their products as of the last few years.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:01 AM

I like it. It has alot of features from my favorite era of stangs. Hood looks like a shelby gt, and I really like the fastback. Only thing I ever disliked about fords and still do, is the instrumentation and interior.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:29 AM

= that's all i have to say
Old 01-08-2003, 12:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

Okay let me get this straight then: this thread is about the 2005 Mustang's retro styling.
You like the Mustang styling but DON'T like the auto industry's retro styling cues? So do you like the mustang's styling or not? In this post you state the Mustang is fine but in your first post you say the Mustang represents clearly what's sad w/ the industry(in regards to styling)?

You like the 350z styling but you comapre it to the Mustang("Ford shouldn't try to copy the Mustang's styling") But the 350z according to you is a retro styling by Nissan? So you like the 350z but not the 2005 Mustang style? Regardless, the Mustang did a much, much better retro/modern redesign than Nissan. But IMHO, Nissan wasn't really trying to borrow that much from previous Zs.

You said "I wouldn't buy ANY Ford" "for my own reasons". I said that's a false statement because you just said you would take the Shelby GT500 over a maxima. (who wouldn't?) So you would or would not buy a Ford?

First off, you don't even know me enough to say anything about getting upset, I don't let the little things upset me, I thought we were having a constructive debate but you start putting out things that I said and misconstruing other things I said.
When I said that they (Ford) was copying I didn't mean the styling I meant the theme (retro, a lil bit of old with the new) second as far as I'm concerned I never got off of this constructive debate, you did when you stated that I'm upset, which I'm not.
Back to the cars, anyway most people on this board or forum will take the Shelby over the Max or just about any Nissan, but we don't represent everyone in who drive cars.
Most people couldn't handle the Shelby, so they would go for the Max or some other type of car. I too would opt for the Shelby, I just thought you were reading way too much into this and therefore started to second guess what I was trying to say.

Also I never said that the Stang was bland, I said it was fine, I was stating that the designers are going 1 or 2 ways, bland or mixing retro (sampling) with old school. I think you should probably re-read my posts again and stop misquoting or reading into what you think I'm trying to say.
Obviously, you're confused about my stance toward Ford and my mention of the styling of autos (not the mustang or Ford in general) but all automakers.
Just don't second guess me or read too much into my opinions and please stop twisting my words, this is still a constructive debate and I'm not debating the styling of the mustang, just the way autodesigners have gone about marketing their products as of the last few years.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:10 PM

that is actually the 2004 mustang. not 2005.

February 2003 Vanity Fair, page 76: (its my moms, Selma Hayek in a bathingsuit on the cover made me want to flip through. i swear)

"Ever since Steve McQueen raced a Ford Mustang through the streets of San Francisco in
Bullit in 1968, the man and the car have blurred into one national achetype: the car chase. But the car was a phenomenon well before the movie, and McQueen and the Mustang represented more o pairing of hearthrobs than savvy product placement. After unveiling the Mustang at the New York World's Fair in 1964, Ford sold more than 600,000 in the fist nine months of production. Dealerships were stormed; cops had to be called; the national demand-supply ratio at one point was 15 to 1. The Mustang became an American icon almost immediately, and in 2004 it will turn 40 years old. To mark the occasion Ford will debut two brand-new Mustang concept cars at the Detroit Auto Show this month-a coupe and a convertible. "We've gone back and looked at our favorite Mustangs-from 1967 and 1968," says J Mays, head of design at Ford. "It's a very modern-looking vehicle, but it could only be one kind of car, and it's a Mustang."

though it doesnt say it will be a 2004 model im making the assumption that since it will debut this month and since the 40th anniversary is actually 2004 then it will be a 2004 model. i could be wrong though. i apologize if i am.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:15 PM

i just noticed that there is a little caption under the picture that says "The 2004 Ford Mustand concept car". so take it for what it's worth. i could still be wrong.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:27 PM
vqman

IMO

the pic of the coupe (blue one) is ok...

but the convertible?

like gag me with a spoon!

-vq

Old 01-08-2003, 07:50 PM

Okay let me get this straight then: this thread is about the 2005 Mustang's retro styling.
You like the Mustang styling but DON'T like the auto industry's retro styling cues? So do you like the mustang's styling or not? In this post you state the Mustang is fine but in your first post you say the Mustang represents clearly what's sad w/ the industry(in regards to styling)?

You like the 350z styling but you comapre it to the Mustang("Ford shouldn't try to copy the Mustang's styling") But the 350z according to you is a retro styling by Nissan? So you like the 350z but not the 2005 Mustang style? Regardless, the Mustang did a much, much better retro/modern redesign than Nissan. But IMHO, Nissan wasn't really trying to borrow that much from previous Zs.

You said "I wouldn't buy ANY Ford" "for my own reasons". I said that's a false statement because you just said you would take the Shelby GT500 over a maxima. (who wouldn't?) So you would or would not buy a Ford?

Once again I said I'd take a Shelby over a Maxima, I'd take is different from I'd buy, in other words someone would have to give it to me rather than me buying one out of my own pocket.

My point was never to put down the retro styling of the Ford or Nissan but rather state the obvious that creativity is going in one or the other direction, it's either mix old with new or just plain old bland and this is the sad part.
What is it you are trying to prove? It's obvious that you are not reading well and that you are reading way, way too much into this.

I didn't say I did not like the industries styling cues, my statement remains the same and you just keep trying to make some kind of point by twisting and overstating your own comments by adding things that I did not say.
Go ahead though and keep on keeping on, moderate by calming yourself and reading verbatim, not what you are trying to perceive.

I'm not adding words to your comments, so please stop overofficiating and just chalk this up to our differences on the matter of auto styling as of late is just 2 different things that you don't see my point and that will keep us from seeing eye to eye on as long as you continue to do so.

Quick Reply: OT, but check out the 2005 Stang! (pic's)