5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Aftermarket back to stock!! ARGH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003 | 10:14 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Aftermarket back to stock!! ARGH!

Let me tell you. Going from an aftermarket intake and y-pipe back to stock is no fun performance wise. But installation is really a pain. I can't believe how Nissan got that dang y-pipe in there with all the bolts attached. There is no room to manuever anything up there without cross-threading the nuts at the top. It took me about a half hour with a crowbar just to wretch that thing in place, and then another hour and a half fiddling with all the bolts. I didn't even manage to get all three nuts in place at the top section, only two! All this to take it to the dealer for the auto tranny slipping from 1st to 2nd. My only fear is that they don't think the tranny is slipping and nothing is done. Then my effort will all be wasted.

Arrggghhh....please Connell Nissan, replace the necessary tranny parts! I beg you!

Sorry for my rant, I am frustrated with spending over 6 hours on the car to change the intake and y-pipe back to stock.
Old 01-07-2003 | 12:55 PM
rilla dope

Why all the undo work for the tranny slipping? Why would they care about a y pipe in relation to the transmission? I wouldn't do any of that for warranty work....
Old 01-07-2003 | 01:35 PM

Originally posted by releasedtruth
Why all the undo work for the tranny slipping? Why would they care about a y pipe in relation to the transmission? I wouldn't do any of that for warranty work....
I wouldnt say that. He is a lot better off taking it all off and going back to stock, because the dealeship will use anything to void the warranty. Nissan is a bit$h to deal with so every time you take your car for any engine work you better put all the stock parts back on.
Old 01-07-2003 | 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need to find another dealership that doesn't care about the mod work. What part of the country are you in. I am sure you can find a org member that has a dealership or service guy that will look past that stuff. If you are in Dallas, Texas or nearby go to Courtsey Nissan and see Ken Palmer. (maybe they do the service because they sell alot of the stuff we put on our cars)
Old 01-07-2003 | 04:06 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Well I didn't want to take the chance of them voiding my warranty because of the intake and y-pipe. I know it all depends on the dealer and the technician sevicing the vehicle. But you never really know. Some are cool with mods, others aren't.

As far as the dealer I went to the first thing the service advisor asked me was if I had any powertrain related modifications to me car. So I was glad to have taken them off. I also e-mailed Irvine78 about them because he has been there before and mentioned to him what I needed done and if the y-pipe and intake would need to be taken off. He never got back to me, so I just took them off and went back to stock.

Better anyhow because when I re-install the cattman y-pipe, and injen intake I'll do a full write up with pictures so it'll help out others here on the org.

BTW, the dealer called and said they are going to fix the tranny via the method in the TSB. I hope it works!
Old 01-08-2003 | 08:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go hire some child labor to put those bolts on. They have smaller hands.
Old 01-08-2003 | 08:51 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by wildmanal

Seriously my hands are too big for those things. I'm gonna go test drive my car now that I have it back from the dealer and the tranny is cold. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I hope it's all good!
Old 01-08-2003 | 09:48 PM

Ryan,

can you describe please your slipping scenario?

I am trying to work out the bugs in my automatic as there is a surging at 3500 rpms and I cann ot determine why this is happening...

I changed fluid a month ago and ran it for a week with too much fluid, drained it down to spec and have had the surge for the last week and a half.

I already hit up the dealer for info and I still have to take out the y-pipe...
Old 01-08-2003 | 10:06 PM

Originally posted by wildmanal
Put your g/f to work on your y-pipe. She probably has small hands too.
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:13 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by realtor

Put your g/f to work on your y-pipe. She probably has small hands too.
You better hope she has smaller hands than you….

After the fix and I let the car cool it ran great. No slipping at all. Good experience with the dealer.

As far as the slipping. It only happened from 1st to 2nd and only when the tranny was cold. It just lagged in switching gears, there wasn’t really a surge at all. Good luck with the y-pipe going back to stock, it is a real pain. I was lazy and only connected just enough bolts to keep it on.
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:27 AM
rilla dope

Originally posted by xfirepwr1

I wouldnt say that. He is a lot better off taking it all off and going back to stock, because the dealeship will use anything to void the warranty. Nissan is a bit$h to deal with so every time you take your car for any engine work you better put all the stock parts back on.
The dealer can't void a warranty unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. I wouldn't stress over the Ypipe, maybe the intake, but the pipe, if anything should make things better than stock.
Old 01-09-2003 | 10:41 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by releasedtruth

The dealer can't void a warranty unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. I wouldn't stress over the Ypipe, maybe the intake, but the pipe, if anything should make things better than stock.
I know that, but considering the first thing the service advisor asked me, "Do you have any powertrain modifications?" I was glad to have removed both and went back to stock. Sure I could have left them and then he might not have considered it under warranty. Then I would have two options, another dealer (most likely with the same result), or fight it with Nissan. I didn't really feel like getting into anything about it. Besides it's always nice to learn a little extra about the car by doing your own installs and uninstalls. I learned to use anti-seize on all the nuts and bolts, HAHA.
Old 01-09-2003 | 10:42 AM

Originally posted by foodmanry

You better hope she has smaller hands than you….

After the fix and I let the car cool it ran great. No slipping at all. Good experience with the dealer.

As far as the slipping. It only happened from 1st to 2nd and only when the tranny was cold. It just lagged in switching gears, there wasn’t really a surge at all. Good luck with the y-pipe going back to stock, it is a real pain. I was lazy and only connected just enough bolts to keep it on.
The key to doing the Y-pipe is getting the car on a lift or as high off the ground as you can(on jackstands) and using LONG extensions for your ratchet. You will find that if you get a good set of extensions (12", 18", 24" & 30") with some universal joints it will be much easier to do jobs like this. With the right tools I can swap the Y-pipe in a 1/2hr.
Old 01-09-2003 | 11:33 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by maximaman777

The key to doing the Y-pipe is getting the car on a lift or as high off the ground as you can(on jackstands) and using LONG extentions for your ratchet. You will find that if you get a good set of extentions (12", 18", 24" & 30") with some universal joints it will be much easier to do jobs like this. With the right tools I can swap the Y-pipe in a 1/2hr.
Right…I have all that. Just that hardest part is starting the nuts on the top portion of the stock y-pipe. You have VERY little room to work with and a very good chance of putting the nuts on wrong and stripping the bolts. Even a person with smaller hands would have a tough time with those nuts.
Old 01-09-2003 | 02:57 PM

Originally posted by foodmanry

Right…I have all that. Just that hardest part is starting the nuts on the top portion of the stock y-pipe. You have VERY little room to work with and a very good chance of putting the nuts on wrong and stripping the bolts. Even a person with smaller hands would have a tough time with those nuts.
I use a shallow socket and a long extension to start all the nuts by hand. Then put the ratchet and deep well on and tighten them up. If your unsure if your cross threading you can still stick your hand up there and check before you start tightening.