5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Broken Motor Mount maybe? Dealer telling me NOT!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Broken Motor Mount maybe? Dealer telling me NOT!!

Well after months and months of dealing with this problem where when Im in 1st gear in my Auto and floor it, at high rpms around 4k above I get some visicious banging noise coming right from my console shifter area. I thought it was a broken motor mount. Took it in finally to the dealer and they told me it is not the motor mount and it is the exhaust Bpipe hitting the two cross braces.

Well I told him dont you think if the motor mount was bad it would be vigourously shaking the exhaust too? He said for 100% certainty it was not the motor mount.

So now Im starting to think it has to be that Ypipe. The Cattman SS Ypipe. Reason I think is that its flex section is like 1/2 the size of the stock flex section. This can easily lead to more shaking. Also maybe the flex section inside is broken. But then dont think so with my last dyno being very good at 183whp.

What yall think?

Dixit
Old 01-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Got Bent?

I don't know.... remember when I revved the engine in reverse and you saw your engine snap back? It moved quite a bit...
Old 01-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Broken Motor Mount maybe? Dealer telling me NOT!!

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Well after months and months of dealing with this problem where when Im in 1st gear in my Auto and floor it, at high rpms around 4k above I get some visicious banging noise coming right from my console shifter area. I thought it was a broken motor mount. Took it in finally to the dealer and they told me it is not the motor mount and it is the exhaust Bpipe hitting the two cross braces.

Well I told him dont you think if the motor mount was bad it would be vigourously shaking the exhaust too? He said for 100% certainty it was not the motor mount.

So now Im starting to think it has to be that Ypipe. The Cattman SS Ypipe. Reason I think is that its flex section is like 1/2 the size of the stock flex section. This can easily lead to more shaking. Also maybe the flex section inside is broken. But then dont think so with my last dyno being very good at 183whp.

What yall think?

Dixit
definetly sounds like a motor mount dixit, i could make set up for you and see if they fit. email me i have an idea. thanks
-steve
Old 01-08-2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

I don't know.... remember when I revved the engine in reverse and you saw your engine snap back? It moved quite a bit...
Yea I know, I cant figure it out. Only other option I got now is to take it to another dealer now and get another opinion. It is a pain when you only got one car and still gotta get to work. I was thinking of maybe taking the dealer's word on it until my "boost" goes in in one month and see what happens with the new exhaust.

Steve, I sent you an email. Interested in what you got to offer.

Dixit
Old 01-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Dixit,

Do you have the gen1 or gen2 cattman y? I have the gen2 and I notice sometimes that in 1st gear there is a banging noise right under my shifter (I have an auto too).

This only started happening when I put the y-pipe in. How sever is the shaking? Hmmm could be the y-pipe against the brace. I saw mine where it hits the center brace right behind the catalytic converter.

But if its shaking A LOT then it's most likely the motor mount. How has your service been at that dealer? Been there before?
Old 01-08-2003, 08:00 PM

Service at the dealer hasnt been the greatest. But still I think the Ypipe seems to be part of the problem. I also firmly believe that the motor mount is possibly broken since it has been getting worse.

The banging comes right under my shift console as well. It all started from that one day when I went to the track and floored it out the gate and it made a visicious banging noise and had to back off. I cant seem to remember if I put on the Ypipe before I went to the track or after. But dont seem to matter to me since I think Im going to put performance mounts.

Dixit
Old 01-09-2003, 12:20 AM

Re: Broken Motor Mount maybe? Dealer telling me NOT!!

Sounds like just the y-pipe knocking...
Did you lose a hanger or anything???
Old 01-09-2003, 06:47 AM

Re: Re: Broken Motor Mount maybe? Dealer telling me NOT!!

Originally posted by adman
Sounds like just the y-pipe knocking...
Did you lose a hanger or anything???
See that is what I thought until I looked under the car last night to make sure none of them rubber bushing hangers fell off, and they all are still there and in place.

At this point I dont care anymore since the performance mount if going in.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Broken Motor Mount maybe? Dealer telling me NOT!!

See that is what I thought until I looked under the car last night to make sure none of them rubber bushing hangers fell off, and they all are still there and in place.

At this point I dont care anymore since the performance mount if going in.
Are you going with PR or Steves?

If Steves, you might want to know that the auto and manual motor mounts are different. Whether or not the center(bushing) is the same, I don't know.

Dave B. confirmed that they look similar, but have different part numbers.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Broken Motor Mount maybe? Dealer telling me NOT!!

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Are you going with PR or Steves?

If Steves, you might want to know that the auto and manual motor mounts are different. Whether or not the center(bushing) is the same, I don't know.

Dave B. confirmed that they look similar, but have different part numbers.
Yeap going to try out Steve's. He said they look similar. We were comparing auto to auto actually.

Dixit
Old 01-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Broken Motor Mount maybe? Dealer telling me NOT!!

Yeap going to try out Steve's. He said they look similar. We were comparing auto to auto actually.

Dixit
Ok, I thought he was only modifying 6-speeds, so I figured he was going to offer those.

I'd recommend the softer material Steve uses than the PR mounts, since you have an auto. Less vibration at idle.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Y Pipes hitting against the undercarraige seems to be a common problem. A simple search should reviel a lot of threads regarding Y pipes the were rubbing up against things. Some had to bend brackets out of the way, others are saying the Y pipe needs to be supported better.

Perhaps your dealer actually knows what he's talking about. OEM motor mounts are soft so you will see some engine movement. Thats how they get the engine quiet, soft isolation mounts.

The flex section is shorter so any given movement of the engine is going to make that pipe move more then the stock one.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:44 AM

Hey BigDogJonx,
In my 99 when I put a y-pipe in I all the sudden got banging noises as well. What was weird was when it was raining it would really make a lot of noise. Must have been the different temps in the pipe.
Well any way I found that the rods welded to the pipe for the hangers were to long and one would bump the frame right under the shifter. (Fu[king annoying!) I took a die grinder to it, and the one in back just to be sure, I took about a 1/2" off'em. Problem solved.

I'm not saying you don't have a bad motor mount also but take a look at those hangers when the exhaust is cool. Try yanking the pipe back and forth (lol) and see if they make contact with anything.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777
Hey BigDogJonx,
In my 99 when I put a y-pipe in I all the sudden got banging noises as well. What was weird was when it was raining it would really make a lot of noise. Must have been the different temps in the pipe.
Well any way I found that the rods welded to the pipe for the hangers were to long and one would bump the frame right under the shifter. (Fu[king annoying!) I took a die grinder to it, and the one in back just to be sure, I took about a 1/2" off'em. Problem solved.

I'm not saying you don't have a bad motor mount also but take a look at those hangers when the exhaust is cool. Try yanking the pipe back and forth (lol) and see if they make contact with anything.
Yea that is what I thought at first too. But heres the thing, the dealer is being a b@##h about things. They write aftermarket exhaust. Well where the pipe is hitting the cross brace, it is a STOCK BPIPE. They dont want to understand that. All they see if an aftermarket MUFFLER on the car and blame that.

Cant be the Ypipe, and Cant be my stock Bpipe.

Dixit
Old 01-09-2003, 09:10 AM

Yea that is what I thought at first too. But heres the thing, the dealer is being a b@##h about things. They write aftermarket exhaust. Well where the pipe is hitting the cross brace, it is a STOCK BPIPE. They dont want to understand that. All they see if an aftermarket MUFFLER on the car and blame that.

Cant be the Ypipe, and Cant be my stock Bpipe.

Dixit
Hey you know your car. All I'm saying is look at the rod for the Y-pipe hanger yourself. If it's hitting the frame it will leave a mark there.

If you want a dealer to do something about you motor mounts the put your stock **** back on and take it to a new dealer. I know it's a pain to do but you will save more time in the long run.