5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Selling My Car !!! Need some advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 10:56 PM

Selling My Car !!! Need some advise!!

Hey Everyone~~
I'm selling my Car....but I need Good advise of selling my car... Should I sell it as it is right now or take out all the stuff and put the original one back ???????? I'm trying to collect as much as i can for my new car.. How much do u guys think i can sell it for???
i have 35,000miles... everything is mostly New, no accident, no scratches, and a Very Clean Car...
I was thinking about trading but I dont think i can get as much.. right??? very confused of how i'm gonna sell my car... please drop some notes if you can...thanks~
http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/choiy
Old 01-12-2003, 11:03 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Selling My Car !!! Need some advise!!

1. put it back to stock. Nobody but you will appreciate any mods, and they may take it as a sign that you modified something "for the worse."
2. sell the mods (here or in a local paper). That way you get at least some of your money back.
3. check kbb and edmunds for prices. Go to a local nissan dealer and try to find a car in similar shape... that would be even better.

good luck. What are you getting?

Originally posted by choiy
Hey Everyone~~
I'm selling my Car....but I need Good advise of selling my car... Should I sell it as it is right now or take out all the stuff and put the original one back ???????? I'm trying to collect as much as i can for my new car.. How much do u guys think i can sell it for???
i have 35,000miles... everything is mostly New, no accident, no scratches, and a Very Clean Car...
I was thinking about trading but I dont think i can get as much.. right??? very confused of how i'm gonna sell my car... please drop some notes if you can...thanks~
http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/choiy
Old 01-13-2003, 12:20 AM

Re: Re: Selling My Car !!! Need some advise!!

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
1. put it back to stock. Nobody but you will appreciate any mods, and they may take it as a sign that you modified something "for the worse."
2. sell the mods (here or in a local paper). That way you get at least some of your money back.
3. check kbb and edmunds for prices. Go to a local nissan dealer and try to find a car in similar shape... that would be even better.

good luck. What are you getting?

Thanks for the Comment.. still deciding...350Z or G35 Coupe
Hew..i have lots of work to do in order to sell all the parts..
Old 01-13-2003, 12:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Selling My Car !!! Need some advise!!

I'll be interested to buy some of the parts.... depending on how much cash I've got.

~limsandy
Old 01-13-2003, 12:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Selling My Car !!! Need some advise!!

Originally posted by limsandy

I'll be interested to buy some of the parts.... depending on how much cash I've got.

~limsandy
thanks for responding... Don't worry I will definitely give you a fair price... mostly mods are installed recently so it is still new and take your time of deciding which parts you want!!
Let me know!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 07:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Selling My Car !!! Need some advise!!

i would be interested in buying some of ur parts also.
i say get the g35 coupe 6spd. fast as hell..and luxurious at the same time.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:26 AM

Return it to stock..

..but after looking at your website you've got A LOT of work to do! I agree with the above post, if people see mods they are going to think that the car was beat on and will have problems because of the mods.

Things like tinted windows are ok (if they are in good condition), but engine work, body kits, rims, stereo, that kind of stuff is frowned upon. Anyone who would like it would probably want to do it them selves (1/2 the fun of modding!). The dealer will probably charge you more to take it off.

One thing to consider with a trade in - you will get less money but depending on how much less it may be worth it. Say if you get 10K for your car (hopefully more than that) and your new G35 is $35,000. With the trade-in, your total nut is now only $25,000 so you only have to pay tax on that.

If your tax rate is 8.5% (like mine ) here's how it would work:

New car = $35,000
Tax = $2,975

New car minus trade-in = $25,000
Tax = $2,125

Also, once the dealer gets it you never have to hear about it again unlike a private sale that could cause you more headaches. So if the prices are close with private vs. dealer trade in it might be worth it to go with the dealer.

However, I would negotiate the price of the new car COMPLETELY separate and get a final lowest price. ONLY then bring up about your trade in. Otherwise they will adjust the price of the new car to make sure they make more money on you and your trade in.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:34 AM

Re: Return it to stock..

According to my experience and stories that I have heard, selling your car to a dealer is the worst scenario and should be your last resort to get rid of your car. Try advertising in newspapers, online, ask friends, etc.....

~limsandy
Old 01-13-2003, 08:38 AM

Re: Re: Return it to stock..

Originally posted by limsandy
According to my experience and stories that I have heard, selling your car to a dealer is the worst scenario and should be your last resort to get rid of your car. Try advertising in newspapers, online, ask friends, etc.....

~limsandy
I'm with you. If you have a really nice ride, which it looks like you do, you never know who might be interested. I used to trade in all the time. I decided once to try to sell it myself and couldn't believe the extra money it made me. You have to deal with the stupid phone calls and the tire kickers, but I figure I will for $1 to $2k.

Look at it this way: What does it cost to run an ad in your local newspaper? Maybe $20 to $40. If it does'nt sell you haven't really lost anything.

Then when you go into your Infiniti dealer there are no games. The price is the price.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:49 AM

Ok I just visited your cardomain site.. Man you have one nice max..
If I were you, I'd do this. Try to find someone who will buy your car as is before you do anything. You have LOTS OF STUFF done to your car and its just too much of a hassle to take them off.

Normally, mods are frowned upon when you're trying to sell the car. But its a different story for you. You are in a different league. What you have aint something like ghetto home depot intakes or squeaking spring jobs and etc.. What you have are Car Show Quality stuff. Find someone who will appreciate and is willing to pay for whats on the car.

And if you find a buyer, both of you need to compromise. You cant try to get back ALL THE DOLLARS you put in to your car, and the buyer should not be a cheap a$$ either. If I was in the market for a 5th gen max, I'd buy your car !!

P.S.
If you sell your car as is to a dealer, I dont think the dealer will even touch your car. I think they'll prolly keep it in the show room as it is, since its so nice !!
It might take some time, but I think you can find someone you can sell your car to at a reasonable and fair price. Good luck !
Old 01-13-2003, 09:16 AM

You have one of the most heavily modded Maximas on this board. My suggestion is to put your car, as much as possible, back to stock. You may be able to use some of the wheels on your next car, if you decide to keep them. I can see that you have put A LOT of time and money into your car. I hope that you do not get hit hard in the wallet when you decide to sell.

Good luck. My vote is for the G35.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:36 AM

I've always sold my cars outright because I got more for them this way.

This is some serious reading, but great advice for anybody in the new car market:

www.carbuyingtips.com/
Old 01-13-2003, 11:53 AM

Damn that's one hot max!

Can I get the rear clears and some bulbs?? Pleaseee!
I called it..
Edit: Can I also get the door sills?

How much did you spend on your Maxima in total? You could've got a Ferrari. :crazy:
Old 01-13-2003, 11:57 AM

oh, about the original question:

You would defenitely make more money selling it seperately. You can part out everything and sell the car stock. The rims you can always reuse or sell later on. I hope you kept the stock wheels. If not, you can always trade a member and they can pay you a little extra. The tv/dvd/audio stuff you can use in your next car unless you want different systems but then you will end up losing some $$
Old 01-13-2003, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Selling My Car !!! Need some advise!!

I agree that you are better of returning the car to stock. Your potential audience of buyers will be larger. And as for a choice, the G35 is the right answer (in my opinion).
Old 01-13-2003, 02:38 PM

I wish I could see your car right now but, car domain says: Our member pages have been temporarily disabled from noon to 4:00pm (Pacific time) this Monday afternoon due to extraordinarily high traffic volumes on our shopping site
Old 01-13-2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut
I wish I could see your car right now but, car domain says: Our member pages have been temporarily disabled from noon to 4:00pm (Pacific time) this Monday afternoon due to extraordinarily high traffic volumes on our shopping site
ditto
Old 01-13-2003, 05:26 PM
vqman

you are obviously single...

-vq

Old 01-13-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by VQMAN
you are obviously single...

-vq

that's going to be me with the way my life is going
Old 01-13-2003, 05:44 PM

Re: Return it to stock..

Originally posted by spta97
One thing to consider with a trade in - you will get less money but depending on how much less it may be worth it. Say if you get 10K for your car (hopefully more than that) and your new G35 is $35,000. With the trade-in, your total nut is now only $25,000 so you only have to pay tax on that.

If your tax rate is 8.5% (like mine ) here's how it would work:

New car = $35,000
Tax = $2,975

New car minus trade-in = $25,000
Tax = $2,125
I don't know about other states but in Maryland you would have to pay tax on the new car price BEFORE the deduction of the trade-in. So, in your example the whole $35,000 would be taxable.
In Maryland the rebate is also taxable. Otherwords, you pay the tax on the whole amount BEFORE rebate.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:58 PM

That's the way it works here in Cali also.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:59 PM

How much are you looking to get for your Max anyways?
Old 01-13-2003, 06:03 PM

anybody now how much he is selling his max for, im in the market for a 03 but i could save money on insurance if i got a 01, if anyones knows please let me know how much it is
Old 01-13-2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by hiphop4321
anybody now how much he is selling his max for, im in the market for a 03 but i could save money on insurance if i got a 01, if anyones knows please let me know how much it is
Ask him, and with that car modded that much....you might as well be paying insurance on an 03.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
Ask him, and with that car modded that much....you might as well be paying insurance on an 03.
hew~~~~ thanks for the nice responses...maxma.org people are soo niceeee ..hehe.. honestly i just want to sell the car as it is...besides my new rims and a VRX925 Clarion DVD system... but I guess i'll try to sell all the parts separately.... I spent about 15,000~ 17,000 for the Mods..<<~~~ lots a money huh... however custom jobs for system was all free I wish I can get at least $$$$$half... i'll try to list all the parts that i have ASAP~~and a nice pic for each..so if anyone is interested..just let me know...

I wish I can sell my car for $25,000 or More?? sigh~~dont know!!!!! How much Do u guys think I can sell it with all the mods????? actually I went to the one of the Nissan dealer today and found out I can sell it for $15,000 for car itself without any mod parts!!! Good Deal ?????

thanks again everybone~
Old 01-13-2003, 09:09 PM

hey man, you were like my inspiration and stuff...how you gonna juss drop me like that? ...but hey i might want a couple things if you're parting... like your lights h4/h3 cuz that looks like it matches really well, unless Glen02NJ takes em
holla