5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about Vyper 790VX with Responder

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 09:32 AM

Question about Vyper 790VX with Responder

I have some questions about this unit. So far, I have not very pleased. Yes, I know it all depends on the installer but somethings do not. For example, my range for the transponder is only about 100 ft, not the up to 1 mile professed. Also, I can hit the car and push on it up and and down and the alarm won't go off. This is major since it has a shock alarm installed. Is this a sign that it was installed unproperly? Also, the proximity sensor does not work ALL around the car. It only detects around 2 doors in the upper section.

Finally, I want an alarm or sensor, that when someone touches the car, it warns. And I mean, any where in the car. Does anyone recommend some sensor that can do this?

I'm ready to tell them to give me my money back as the protection is minimal compared to what I paid for the unit.

Thanks in advance.

PS. How much did you pay for an extra responder?
Old 01-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Question about Vyper 790VX with Responder

Originally posted by Lost My HID
I have some questions about this unit. So far, I have not very pleased. Yes, I know it all depends on the installer but somethings do not. For example, my range for the transponder is only about 100 ft, not the up to 1 mile professed. Also, I can hit the car and push on it up and and down and the alarm won't go off. This is major since it has a shock alarm installed. Is this a sign that it was installed unproperly? Also, the proximity sensor does not work ALL around the car. It only detects around 2 doors in the upper section.

Finally, I want an alarm or sensor, that when someone touches the car, it warns. And I mean, any where in the car. Does anyone recommend some sensor that can do this?

I'm ready to tell them to give me my money back as the protection is minimal compared to what I paid for the unit.

Thanks in advance.

Dude, I think the range is 1/4 mile at OPTIMAL condition. My Viper 550 ESP also has very limited distance, about 100 feet. Don, what do you think of this?

~limsandy
Old 01-19-2003, 09:38 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

the shock sensor can be adjusted. Sometimes, if its too sensitive, the alarm will go off if a car just drives by. Have them increase the sensitivity and see what happens.

Old 01-19-2003, 09:49 AM

Thanks in advance.

it also depends on what you tell the installer you want. I have the exact same alarm. Like a previous poster mentioned, the 1/4 mile thing is if you park your car on the open plains of Nebraska and walk to a nearby farm house. Trees, walls, electronic interference, and other stuff in a city diminishes your effective range. This is also true for things like wireless internet.

About the bouncing the car thing, when I had my shock sensor installed, Don attached it to a grouping of wires, not a solid part of the car. that way it is more likely to jiggle it would be on the floor or under the dash or something. Perhaps your installer can move the sensor to a different spot.

I live in Queens, NYC so i understand your desire to warn anyone in the area who even thinks about touching your car. But with the beeping remote, you don't want the alarm going off that much (even warning chirps) especially if you live with a wife or girlfriend who doesn't share your justified paranoia. It gets ANNOYING! Especially since after it beeps with the warning, it beeps once every minute to let you know it was triggered until you turn that off.

It is a matter of turning two screws to adjust the sensitivity. Cold weather affects the prox alarm. there are many factors, you just need to play with it. Talk to your installer. Don (pearl96max) installed mine, and although there are a few adjustments I need to make, i am very happy with the alarm and extremely happy with his work and service. maybe you can ask him questions, but since he didn't install it, I wouldn't blame him if he referred you to your installer.

good luck. if you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them.

Dan
Old 01-19-2003, 10:02 AM

Re: Re: Question about Vyper 790VX with Responder

The 1-mile number came from a couple of the alarm stores I went to. They swore that the thing worked up to a mile. I believed them

But the range is not as important to me as the other sensors not working. The proximity sensor seems easily defeated if you squat down when you approach the door. It is almost as if the emissions for detection are coming in from inside the car through the windows. If this is the case, then it is worthless as most thieves would already know this limitation.

I really want something that when you place your hands on the car it warns the person. I would also like to adjust the time that the warning goes on for. Is this possible? It appears to be too short and it will be an inconvenience if people are just walking by in a parking lot.

Also, does anyone know how long the alarm sounds before it auto shuts-off? I don't want to test it because it is damn loud and the neighbors would kill me if it goes on for an hour.

Thank you.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:23 AM
JJL

Re: Re: Re: Question about Vyper 790VX with Responder

The 1-mile number came from a couple of the alarm stores I went to. They swore that the thing worked up to a mile. I believed them

But the range is not as important to me as the other sensors not working. The proximity sensor seems easily defeated if you squat down when you approach the door. It is almost as if the emissions for detection are coming in from inside the car through the windows. If this is the case, then it is worthless as most thieves would already know this limitation.

I really want something that when you place your hands on the car it warns the person. I would also like to adjust the time that the warning goes on for. Is this possible? It appears to be too short and it will be an inconvenience if people are just walking by in a parking lot.

Also, does anyone know how long the alarm sounds before it auto shuts-off? I don't want to test it because it is damn loud and the neighbors would kill me if it goes on for an hour.

Thank you.

I have the viper 550 ESP. I have the antenna mounted on the upper part of the windshield. I can be in the store ,sears or something . I press the remote, to start my car ,it has never failed me yet. I have good distance. AS for the proximity sensor ,you can not get within a foot of my car doors with getting a warn a way message .
If you stick your head in side the car you will trigger the alarm. I have the voice module
I think this is what you are looking for.

Tell them to fix it

Old 01-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There are two issues with the prox sensor:
1. placement inside the vehicle - in my car, Don (pearl96max) installed the prox sensor in the center console. If you think about a circular field emanating from the sensor, you can imagine what areas would be covered by the field.
2. there are actually two fields - an outer and an inner field. If movement is detected within the outer field, the "warn" response is activated. If movement is detected within the inner zone, the "trigger" response is activated. I have mine setup so that if a person's hand crosses the plane of the (front) window, the inner zone is triggered. The outer zone has a radius a few inches bigger than the inner zone radius, so if movement is detected close to the window, the user is warned by chirps. If you know where your proximity sensor is located, you can adjust both these settings yourself (it is a simple matter of turning a couple of screws).

I believe the shock sensor can be adjusted as well - don't have the details on how to do this.

How long the alarm sounds before it shuts off - is also programmable. The max it can be set to is 180 seconds. I believe the factory default is either 30 or 60 seconds.

Monish.

Thank you.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:18 PM

Since no one answered your question on this I will. I've asked around all over the place, and I believe Don was telling me he could get them for like about $110 or in that ballpark.. Yes they are freakin expensive.. But if you need just a spare you can get the 550 remote since their practically the same alarm..
Old 01-19-2003, 01:29 PM

Once again, it depends how you set the range. I find that the 10-20 degree farenheit(sp?) temps we've been having in NY affect the sensor. maybe the circuit board gets too cold or something. But other than that my warning alarm chirps when folks walk too close or a car drives too close to my Max.

Thank you.
Don set mine for 45 seconds. It is adjustable.

you just need to adjust your outer warning zone and your inner trigger zone. get a smal (like the size used for computer repair) flathead screwdriver and turn the adjustment screws. then get out of the car and walk up to it. If you get the warning chirp at a distance you're comfortable with, then great. If it allows you to get too close to the car then increase it. Get your alarm place to adjust it for you with you there. Let them turn the screws and you wlak up to the car over and over. It'll take 10 minutes tops.

I paid about $35 for a second remote because I just got a regular remote without the car display and the beeper function. It's a backup so i don't see a need to get the full remote for over $100 just so it can sit in a drawer and go off all day.

good luck,

Dan
Old 01-20-2003, 07:42 AM

First, thanks to all of you who have replied. Your answers have been helpful. I have but a few other questions:

1) My proximity sensor seems to only work around the window areas. Those of you who have the sensor, could you please tell me this? Does it go off if you stand next to the headlights or the trunk? Does it go off if you approach the car squatting down?

2) Has anyone heard of a sensor that detects when someone touches the car? I want to be warn the moment someone puts their hands on it. I think this would be more reliable and accurate than the proximity sensor.

3) Can the warn-away timer (before full alarm) be adjusted? I find it too short right now.

Thank you.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Question about Vyper 790VX with Responder

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Since no one answered your question on this I will. I've asked around all over the place, and I believe Don was telling me he could get them for like about $110 or in that ballpark.. Yes they are freakin expensive.. But if you need just a spare you can get the 550 remote since their practically the same alarm..
My girlfriend has the 790 installed and we also wanted an extra remote, I had the installer call the dealer when he was on speaker phone, and they said the only remote that can work with the 790 is the responder, nothing else. I don't know how true this is.

This may be wrong since DCOOK said that he got another remote to work with it.
That does not matter to me because we are getting an extra Responder for $23.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:59 AM

By the way what options do you have and do you mind me asking how much you paid for the system installed? Thanks
Old 01-20-2003, 09:12 AM
JJL

First, thanks to all of you who have replied. Your answers have been helpful. I have but a few other questions:

1) My proximity sensor seems to only work around the window areas. Those of you who have the sensor, could you please tell me this? Does it go off if you stand next to the headlights or the trunk? Does it go off if you approach the car squatting down?

2) Has anyone heard of a sensor that detects when someone touches the car? I want to be warn the moment someone puts their hands on it. I think this would be more reliable and accurate than the proximity sensor.

3) Can the warn-away timer (before full alarm) be adjusted? I find it too short right now.

Thank you.
I will try to answer the best I can.
proximity sensor has two invisible circles.The outer circle is warn away,second circle will trigger the alarm. if you make it to sensitive you will have to many false alarms. Maybe two proximity sensors would serve you better
Yes the proximity can be adjusted
There is another sensor you can buy the will detect sound or glass breakage,but not touch .[That I know of ]

AS far as your other questions
Keep this in mind .An alarm system is a deterrent.A person who wants to steel your car or HIDS hopefully will move to an easier target when they see you have an alarm. This may be your best defense

learn more here
http://www.directed.com/default.asp
Old 01-21-2003, 12:05 AM

$400 for the basic alarm, $80 for an extra remote and then start adding $30-40 per sensor that you add.