5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

is the 30,000 mile check up worth the money???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 AM

is the 30,000 mile check up worth the money???

i have about 27,000 miles on my car......is the 30,000 mile check up at the Nissan dealership worth the money?.....ALSO...i did not have the 15,000 mile check done...i just get oil changes when needed.....soooo when i reach 30,000 miles..what should i do??
thanks
albert
Old 01-20-2003, 12:55 PM

can anyone help me
Old 01-20-2003, 12:57 PM
jjs

Originally posted by rob van dam
can anyone help me
Given that most of the 'inspections' are purely visual and the fluid changes are often DIY or at very least cheaper elsewhere, I would say it is a ripoff.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:59 PM
The Definitive AE Master

depends on how much it costs. Usually I noticed that most of the stuff that they check or the fluids that they top off I can do myself. The dealer around here charges 200-300.. i forgot the exact price.

Maybe if they included a coolant and stuff, but mine over here in CA does not do the coolant flush, injection service, or tranny service
Old 01-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: is the 30,000 mile check up worth the money???

i have about 27,000 miles on my car......is the 30,000 mile check up at the Nissan dealership worth the money?.....ALSO...i did not have the 15,000 mile check done...i just get oil changes when needed.....soooo when i reach 30,000 miles..what should i do??
thanks
albert
I prefer to do it myself and save money while knowing it was done right. Here is a list of things I did:
1. Replaced air filter, actually went to an AMSOIL Air Filter.
2. Clean, check or replace PCV Valve.
3. Replace fuel filter.
4. Change engine oil and filter. Might consider synthetic oil conversion if your not already using it.
5. I flushed my Automatic transmission and converted it to AMSOIL Synthetic ATF.
6. Flushed Power Steering Assembly and Installed AMSOIL SYN ATF.
7. Pull wheels and check them for damage, tire pressure and wear also check brake pads for wear. Hand torque wheels to 80 foot pounds.
8. Check wiper blade and all fluid levels.
9. Put a can of BG 44K in gas tank.
10. Check very carefully for leaks, especially oil pressure sender.

There is a lot of help for you to do this, try search, www.motorvate.ca and I would spend $15 and buy a Haynes Manual.
Not really that much to do! Hope thid helps!
Old 01-20-2003, 01:05 PM

the 30 k check is just a basis check of all your systems in the car its nothing to worry about but how has the car been running. if anything is ok u can wait until the 50k full service to get it done.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:40 PM

I keep getting letters form my dealer trying to get me to go in for this too. I just changed the wiper blades to PIAA silicone wipers, Engine oil and MT fluid to Amsoil. I will clean my K&N air filter and change the PCV valve and fuel filter when I get the chance. I think I will save the 300 or so bucks on the service. All of my other fluid levels look good.

I need to take it in for the squeaky blower motor and while I have it in I will have them check the alignment.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:45 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Re: is the 30,000 mile check up worth the money???

Originally posted by karguy

I prefer to do it myself and save money while knowing it was done right. Here is a list of things I did:
1. Replaced air filter, actually went to an AMSOIL Air Filter.
2. Clean, check or replace PCV Valve.
3. Replace fuel filter.
4. Change engine oil and filter. Might consider synthetic oil conversion if your not already using it.
5. I flushed my Automatic transmission and converted it to AMSOIL Synthetic ATF.
6. Flushed Power Steering Assembly and Installed AMSOIL SYN ATF.
7. Pull wheels and check them for damage, tire pressure and wear also check brake pads for wear. Hand torque wheels to 80 foot pounds.
8. Check wiper blade and all fluid levels.
9. Put a can of BG 44K in gas tank.
10. Check very carefully for leaks, especially oil pressure sender.

There is a lot of help for you to do this, try search, www.motorvate.ca and I would spend $15 and buy a Haynes Manual.
Not really that much to do! Hope thid helps!
you most likely do not need to replace the fuel filter at 30k, at least in a 5th gen cause its in the tank. its supposed to be good for a 100k but you know how that goes. all of the rest of this list should suffice. i coming near 30k and i think im going to going to drain the tranny, drop the pan and clean, refill then drive for a while. then ill refill twice more. also going to check the pcv.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:27 PM

thanks guys....since i have a CAI and other mods done...maybe i can get them to lower the price since some checks they might not have to do...
Old 01-20-2003, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks guys....since i have a CAI and other mods done...maybe i can get them to lower the price since some checks they might not have to do...
You are talking about service at the dealer, there is no such thing as lowering the price. Remember, they do visual inspection they dont change or service most of the stuff on the 30K list.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut

You are talking about service at the dealer, there is no such thing as lowering the price. Remember, they do visual inspection they dont change or service most of the stuff on the 30K list.
so you mean when i get an oil change...they dont change the oil and replace the oil filter like they say? WTF....

what stuff are you talking about....
Old 01-20-2003, 06:12 PM

so you mean when i get an oil change...they dont change the oil and replace the oil filter like they say? WTF....

what stuff are you talking about....
Yes, they do change the oil/filter, fuel filter but virtually everything else is pretty much 'inspect'.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:16 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

the only thing i can think of is not replacing the air filter which wont reduce the price much.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by sloppymax

the only thing i can think of is not replacing the air filter which wont reduce the price much.
i dont have a nissan air filter..i have a CAI....soooo what do you think i should do at 30,000 miles...just forget about the "inspection"?
Old 01-20-2003, 06:29 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i dont have a nissan air filter..i have a CAI....soooo what do you think i should do at 30,000 miles...just forget about the "inspection"?
i know, i was saying that since you had the CAI that you could ask them to take it off the price of the 30k checkup. my sister went in for 60k with her xterra and we able to take a few items off because they had been somewhere else. so some might not consider it a 60k, but whatever. there isnt much else at 30k that you need to be concerned with as long as the oil changes are taking place on recommended intervals. if you havent already, id change the MT transmission oil. if you've done that, then id call the 30k mile checkup a big waste of money.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:05 PM

i know, i was saying that since you had the CAI that you could ask them to take it off the price of the 30k checkup. my sister went in for 60k with her xterra and we able to take a few items off because they had been somewhere else. so some might not consider it a 60k, but whatever. there isnt much else at 30k that you need to be concerned with as long as the oil changes are taking place on recommended intervals. if you havent already, id change the MT transmission oil. if you've done that, then id call the 30k mile checkup a big waste of money.
MT transmission oil?.....i have an auto...do i have different stuff?.... ...man...car ****..im dumb..lol
Old 01-21-2003, 04:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

MT transmission oil?.....i have an auto...do i have different stuff?.... ...man...car ****..im dumb..lol
If you have an Automatic you need Automatic Transmission Fliud. Automatic trannys have no need for Manual Transmission oil. He or She
probably have a manual transmission and were referencing their car. I have to be careful or I'll do it all the time.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:24 AM

At 30K miles, I strongly recommend changing the automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Nissan only says "inspect" the ATF at 30k. I have not seen in the manual where it says change or replace. Conventional ATF will last around 30k miles.

I went to an independent mechanic (Eiffel's Place) in Marietta, GA that had a TransTech machine. I took him 14 quarts of Amsoil ATF and he did the labor for $65.00. I will take a sample at 30k and send it to the lab. Amsoil ATF should last at least 60k miles if not longer.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:29 AM

15K tune-up

At 19K miles, when doing my free oil change(only reason why i didn't do it myself), the dealer said I should have done the 15K check up, but said that mechanic inspected everything to be fine when changing my oil, and the only thing left is the fuel injectors cleaning. So for around $100 I let them do it, since i love my car, wanna keep it in tip-top shape, and i know running on aftermarket air filter and exhaust, could deposit some residue.
I'm over 27K miles now, and I will go to the dealer after 30K and i'll ask for the list, and only do things I can't do myself and think are necessary.
peace
Old 01-21-2003, 09:40 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

thats was my fault, i thought you had a 5spd. im auto as well but you can have nissan flush the tranny or any lube shop or you can do the drain and refill deal.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:45 AM

PM

thats was my fault, i thought you had a 5spd. im auto as well but you can have nissan flush the tranny or any lube shop or you can do the drain and refill deal.

Sloppy you have a PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:21 PM

Optional

If you go to the Nissan USa website or look in your OWners manual I think they say the changing the transmission fluid at 30K is OPTIONAL.

Of course the dealer will usually give you all kinds of BS about future trnasmission problems, if you have them, if you did not have the service performed.

I'm not sure if it is worth it, but if I recall - the dealer I went to here is Dallas charges like $350 dollars. Most of that is to inspect things like the brakes, intake, battery and very little actually involved real maintenance. I do think however you got a free oil change and a AFT flush for that $350.

I'm still fighting them on the TCM module TSB - Nissan USA told me to take it to another dealer. If that dealer does the TCM replacement that will be equal to the 30K checkup so I held off - I'm at 33K on a 2000 GLE.

By the way - if you have experienced brake judder that would be a good thing to bring up - often when they inspect they will acknowledge the rotor warping - whether they will repair under warranty requires a little more effort.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by johnny2kgle

At 30K miles, I strongly recommend changing the automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Nissan only says "inspect" the ATF at 30k. I have not seen in the manual where it says change or replace. Conventional ATF will last around 30k miles.

I went to an independent mechanic (Eiffel's Place) in Marietta, GA that had a TransTech machine. I took him 14 quarts of Amsoil ATF and he did the labor for $65.00. I will take a sample at 30k and send it to the lab. Amsoil ATF should last at least 60k miles if not longer.

what other places can i have them do a ATF flush? Midas, Jiffy Lube maybe???