5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another MAF bites the dust !

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 09:21 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Another MAF bites the dust !

Ok, so now I fell victim. I was in LA all weekend from San Diego. My car didnt quite feel right. I raced a 3 series BMW , and it took me to long to pull on him. Today at 6am, as I get ready to go to work, I crank up, and I get the SES light. I turn the car off, and turn it back on. It didnt come on, so I pull out and take off. It comes back on ! I called Nissan toi schedule an appointment, and the lady asked me what was wrong with the car. I told her, she said , " Sounds like a Mass air sensor "... which leads me to believe this is common. I put all my stock crap back in minus some bolts I lost. I tried cleaning the sensor, but no luck. It's greasy as **** ! I just got my Apexi on a few weeks ago. Screw KN and all the greasy filters. Screw Nissan for making such a BS part , on a car I paid 30+K for ! They'd better fix it, or there will be war at Mossy !
Old 01-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sucks to hear it. Hopefully they'll fix it with no trouble.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:56 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

dont forget that sticker on your kick panel

you know for all the crap, and I dont know much 1/2 a day at the dealer and the headache will cost you, but emax may have been on to something by swapping to a previous gen maf. maybe cheaper and less hassle (in the future) to do that. I mean, wont the replacement die in 2 months?
Old 01-20-2003, 09:57 PM

I feel for ya bro.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:04 PM

curious?

what is your current odometer reading?
Also, how long has it been since you have the aftermarket intake on, mileagewise?
Old 01-20-2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by TimW
dont forget that sticker on your kick panel

you know for all the crap, and I dont know much 1/2 a day at the dealer and the headache will cost you, but emax may have been on to something by swapping to a previous gen maf. may cheaper and less hassle (in the future) to do that. I mean, wont the replacement die in 2 months?
After my 3 broken MAFS in 3 weeks I had enough. The 2001 MAFS still works perfectly! I just ordered a 2001 MAFS off of DAVEB too (as a spare) and to my suprise the new TSB one has 5 prongs(likd the 2002 one) and a thicker clip. The actual MAFS it's self is longer too.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:18 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

My car has 21K miles on it. It had 5K miles when I put the Frankencar w/ KN filter on. I just switched to an Apexi 2 weeks or so ago...
Old 01-20-2003, 11:36 PM

is this in any way proof that aftermarket go fast parts shorten the life of your car and make malfunctions occur more frequently? or was this just a freak occurence?
Old 01-21-2003, 05:37 AM

Hey .. how much was it? My buddy needs a replacement one and a dealer in Toronto wants about $370 USD for it.

Originally posted by emax95

After my 3 broken MAFS in 3 weeks I had enough. The 2001 MAFS still works perfectly! I just ordered a 2001 MAFS off of DAVEB too (as a spare) and to my suprise the new TSB one has 5 prongs(likd the 2002 one) and a thicker clip. The actual MAFS it's self is longer too.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If the MAF sensor is as dirty as you say, I think it'd be worth it to clean it off and see if you can get it working again. Some people have had luck cleaning it.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

what kinda filter comes on the Injen CAI?
thnaks
im glad i know my service peeps at nissan if this ever happened i dont have to swap anything out (air box)
Old 01-21-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax
what kinda filter comes on the Injen CAI?
The injen comes with a crappy, small k&n style filter.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

Originally posted by maxman00

so if u were ggoin to replace it ... what would u get?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:41 AM

Thank you 2k2phatmax for asking that question, i've had my injen for atleast 4 or 5 months and I was wondering what filter would replace that ?

I noticed the growl wasnt the same as the first week I had my intake.

Someone please answer his question, i'm in the same situation.

-Rey
Old 01-21-2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by maxman00

While a K&N might be smaller it is not crappy.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:55 AM

I was wondering the same question about what filter to replace my injen, i have also made some sort of ram air for it which helps a great deal on the low end
Old 01-21-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Blackgums100

While a K&N might be smaller it is not crappy.
Let me rephrase myself. What I was trying to say is that the filter Injen gives you is rather small and well...crappy. This was not meant to suggest that K&N filters are crappy, but rather just the Injen filter, which to my knowledge is not even a real K&N.

In fact, it was Kloogy that stated that when he switched his dirty K&N, for an Injen filter, the injen filter was terrible.

Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax

so if u were ggoin to replace it ... what would u get?
I actually ordered an Apexi to replace my Injen.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I ordered an Apexi to replace the filter on my Injen as well. I don't think there is too much of a problem with an oiled filter element on the Injen intake seeing as how the intake pathway is relatively long from the filter to the MAF sensor. But I do think the Apexi is a much better filter than what is on the Injen. I just hope to receive it sometime this week so I can bolt it on there.

I think maybe Kloogy's problem was over-oiling. He mentioned that the MAF was really greasy. I wondered if he ever took it off to clean it and possibly used too much oil in doing so.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:32 PM

Nissan MAF's suck. Sorry to hear gio...ive got 2 extra ones now..hahahaha Welcome to the club.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

If your MAF is "greasy" someone overoiled the filter. I have cleaned/reoiled my K&N cone on my 3-gen, and it's NEVER greased up my maf.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:48 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Well, after speaking to Nissan, I have oil in my manifold as well as in my intake track. My injectors are clogged too, and according to them it is all related to the dirt coming in through the POS KN Filter. The service manager told me that he could tell I was running a KN. He said they are horrible, and damaging to nissans. I now have an apexi, which he said should be good. The could tell I had an aftermarket intake, but went ahead and warantied everything.... all I can say is : GET APEXI FILTERS !!!!!!! Screw all the oiled filters. I know Blitz makes a a non - oiled one too... It's not worth blowing a $600 MAF !
Old 01-22-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Well, after speaking to Nissan, I have oil in my manifold as well as in my intake track. My injectors are clogged too, and according to them it is all related to the dirt coming in through the POS KN Filter. The service manager told me that he could tell I was running a KN. He said they are horrible, and damaging to nissans. I now have an apexi, which he said should be good. The could tell I had an aftermarket intake, but went ahead and warantied everything.... all I can say is : GET APEXI FILTERS !!!!!!! Screw all the oiled filters. I know Blitz makes a a non - oiled one too... It's not worth blowing a $600 MAF !
wow i cant believe k&N is that bad. is it that bad in general or for nissans? and is the stock filter better than the k&n?
Old 01-22-2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya
Hey .. how much was it? My buddy needs a replacement one and a dealer in Toronto wants about $370 USD for it.

I bought a used one for $50. Then I bought a new one from DAVEB for $82 + S/H ($88 all together). So now I have a spare
Old 01-22-2003, 10:13 PM

I've had my JWT popcharger on my 2k2 for almost a year now with no problems. Also had it on my '99 for 3 years with no problems. I try to use as little oil as possible. Maybe I should pick up a spare MAF just in case?
Old 01-22-2003, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the info kloogy. I've since purchased an APEXi air filter from Steve@FrankenCar. It's also nice to know MOSSY Nissan covered everthing under warranty for you.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:26 PM

Kloogy did you ever clean and re-grease your K&N?
Old 01-23-2003, 04:56 AM

I have a K&N drop in and so far all is well

Have you guys taken a look at the stock Nissan filter you removed???? I have news for you..IT IS OILED!!!!!!!!

As a matter of fact...there was more oil on the OEM I took out than was on the K&N I put in
Old 01-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Not a flame

Sorry, but that's WAY WAY wrong.

First, there is NO way your injectors would be clogged from ANYTHING that comes through your intake, ONLY the fuel system.

Second, K&N traps more dirt than Apexi, INJEN, MF, or ANY foam filter BECAUSE it's oiled. Other filters provide better air flow due to less filtration, but allow more junk into your engine and cause damage over time.

Third, your problem was due to TOO MUCH oil, which was either K&Ns fault(if it came that way) or YOUR fault for over-oiling it(if you ever did a "recharge").

You guys JUMP to conclusions way to fast around here.

So, did you EVER reoil your K&N?
Old 01-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Steve walks warily down the street,
with the brim pulled way down low
Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet,
machine guns ready to go
Are you ready, Are you ready for this
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat
Another MAF bites the dust
And Another MAF gone, and Another MAF gone
Hey, I'm gonna get you too

How do you think I'm going to get along,
without you, when you're gone
You took me for everything that I had,
and kicked me out on my own

Are you happy, are you satisfied
How long can you stand the heat
To the sound of the beat

Chorus

There are plenty of ways you can hurt a man
And bring him to the ground
You can beat him
You can cheat him
You can treat him bad and leave him
When he's down
But I'm ready, yes I'm ready for you
I'm standing on my own two feet
repeating the sound of the beat
Old 01-23-2003, 10:24 AM

Re: Not a flame

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Sorry, but that's WAY WAY wrong.

First, there is NO way your injectors would be clogged from ANYTHING that comes through your intake, ONLY the fuel system.

Second, K&N traps more dirt than Apexi, INJEN, MF, or ANY foam filter BECAUSE it's oiled. Other filters provide better air flow due to less filtration, but allow more junk into your engine and cause damage over time.

Third, your problem was due to TOO MUCH oil, which was either K&Ns fault(if it came that way) or YOUR fault for over-oiling it(if you ever did a "recharge").

You guys JUMP to conclusions way to fast around here.

So, did you EVER reoil your K&N?

Ok...My understanding was that the Apexi filter was paper.
I've had two maximas with intakes, and both have suffered from contamination from oiled filters, no matter how little you oil it there will still be more oil than from a filter like Apexi. I talked to the rep at NOPI(who was standing next to a bada$$ skyline, aughhhhh) but anyway, he told me that if you own a nissan, then get a filter that is dry (not oiled). He told me that even the skyline has many of the same MAF problems that we are suffering from. Then he went on to tell me how the apexi has the best filtration out of any filter on the market, oiled or not. You be the judge
Filter Test
Old 01-23-2003, 10:45 AM

Re: Re: Not a flame

Originally posted by Bulldawg

Ok...My understanding was that the Apexi filter was paper.
I've had two maximas with intakes, and both have suffered from contamination from oiled filters, no matter how little you oil it there will still be more oil than from a filter like Apexi. I talked to the rep at NOPI(who was standing next to a bada$$ skyline, aughhhhh) but anyway, he told me that if you own a nissan, then get a filter that is dry (not oiled). He told me that even the skyline has many of the same MAF problems that we are suffering from. Then he went on to tell me how the apexi has the best filtration out of any filter on the market, oiled or not. You be the judge
Filter Test
Good comparison!

My question is, why did the MAF die after he switched to the Apexi? Bad luck on timing?

The only explanation I can think is that the MAF finally died from the oil left by the K&N, unless the Apexi filter let enough contaminents through to attach to the oil coated MAF element and cause it to fail.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: Not a flame

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Good comparison!

My question is, why did the MAF die after he switched to the Apexi? Bad luck on timing?

The only explanation I can think is that the MAF finally died from the oil left by the K&N, unless the Apexi filter let enough contaminents through to attach to the oil coated MAF element and cause it to fail.

Well here is my idea.....The K&N built up oil and gunk on the walls of the intake tube, but the velocity of the air passing by them when using a slower flowing intake wasn't enought to pull the sh$t off the wall. However, once he switched to the Apexi which has a higher flow rate and which is proportional to the velocity of the air passing by. This higher speed of air would create enough shear stress on the oil matter to "rip" it from the walls of the intake. After time this oil would build up on the MAF and cause it to fail.

I still don't think you are getting the point. Yes foam filters suck, i.e. monster flow. But, (someone correct me if I am wrong), the Apexi filter is paper, and the stock filter element that comes with the car is also paper. So this filter will stop more sh$t than your k&n, not to mention that isn't constantly letting small drops of oil come in contact with your MAF. After my MAF failure, the nissan tech told me to use nothing but paper filters, maily because of the oil factor.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not a flame

Originally posted by Bulldawg
Well here is my idea.....The K&N built up oil and gunk on the walls of the intake tube, but the velocity of the air passing by them when using a slower flowing intake wasn't enought to pull the sh$t off the wall. However, once he switched to the Apexi which has a higher flow rate and which is proportional to the velocity of the air passing by. This higher speed of air would create enough shear stress on the oil matter to "rip" it from the walls of the intake. After time this oil would build up on the MAF and cause it to fail.
Considering they didn't give a CFM measurement and the fact that the HP was approximately the same, I doubt that happened. Most likely bad timing and the K&N oil just finally took effect.

I still don't think you are getting the point. Yes foam filters suck, i.e. monster flow. But, (someone correct me if I am wrong), the Apexi filter is paper, and the stock filter element that comes with the car is also paper. So this filter will stop more sh$t than your k&n, not to mention that isn't constantly letting small drops of oil come in contact with your MAF. After my MAF failure, the nissan tech told me to use nothing but paper filters, maily because of the oil factor.
I'm not sure if the Apexi is paper, but similar. The point your missing is that the OEM paper media filters are also OILED. So, that doesn't mean the Apexi will necessarily stop more junk. K&N have been around long enough for me to not worry about debris getting through. I know lots of guys who race/rebuild engines and they swear by K&Ns. Good enough for me.

Apexi appears to be a GREAT filter, however they are not as well proven and the throwing them away vs. cleaning is not for me.

My point was that the over-oiled K&N was too blame NOT that the Apexi was inferior to the "POS K&N" Kloogy was blaming.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:25 AM

What Kloogy forgot to mention is the fact that he used a Generic-Matrix-type open-top filter for a while. I used the same type of filter for around 3k miles, before I got the K&N RR-3003. It was a paper filter & provided about ZERO filtration. Also, the BLITZ metal screen filters are CRAP.

And if you check closely, even the stock filterbox will leave residue on your intake tract. NOTHING will provide 100% filtration. Except if maybe you seal it with duct tape... but then you will also block the much needed O2 for combustion.

My friend has 240,000 original miles on his 4th gen Max with a Stillen intake, and cleans/oils it periodically... never had a MAS failure!

Let's face it: THE 2K2 MAFS ARE JUNK

G
Old 01-23-2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
What Kloogy forgot to mention is the fact that he used a Generic-Matrix-type open-top filter for a while. I used the same type of filter for around 3k miles, before I got the K&N RR-3003. It was a paper filter & provided about ZERO filtration. Also, the BLITZ metal screen filters are CRAP.

And if you check closely, even the stock filterbox will leave residue on your intake tract. NOTHING will provide 100% filtration. Except if maybe you seal it with duct tape... but then you will also block the much needed O2 for combustion.

My friend has 240,000 original miles on his 4th gen Max with a Stillen intake, and cleans/oils it periodically... never had a MAS failure!

Let's face it: THE 2K2 MAFS ARE JUNK

G
so if im all stock enginewise, do i have to worry about my maf failing on my 2k2?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:33 AM

Its amazing how many cars out there use oiled air filters and never experience a hiccup. Some cars are running big boost pressure which will suck your air filter dry of oil and they still never experience an MAF failure. Our MAFs are junk.

Jesse
Old 01-23-2003, 11:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

Does anyone read Icy's or my posts? Geez.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Does anyone read Icy's or my posts? Geez.

What fun would that be?

BTW, SU and reply to my Ignition Timing post.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:11 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

You guys all make valid points. What it comes down to is the 2K2 MAF's are a POS !

I have the car back, and its stock still, it threw an SES light again today, but it's running fine. I tried disconnecting the battery , and resetting the computer, but it comes back on anyway. Who knows WTF is wrong. Im going to cruise on by Nissan right now, but I doubt they can do anything. I wont put my Frankencar back on, till I know everything is running right. My car is so quiet, that I hate it !
Old 01-25-2003, 12:24 PM

You guys all make valid points. What it comes down to is the 2K2 MAF's are a POS !

I have the car back, and its stock still, it threw an SES light again today, but it's running fine. I tried disconnecting the battery , and resetting the computer, but it comes back on anyway. Who knows WTF is wrong. Im going to cruise on by Nissan right now, but I doubt they can do anything. I wont put my Frankencar back on, till I know everything is running right. My car is so quiet, that I hate it !
Good luck Kloogy!

2K2 MAF = POS

Quick Reply: Another MAF bites the dust !