5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RSB Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 07:32 AM

RSB Question

I have a question regarding selction and installation of an RSB.

First off - why do the Stillen RSB's cost nearly twice as much as the Addco - is there actually much difference in the quality (and performance).

How difficult is the RSB to install for someone with limited access to a good working area?

On a scale of 1 to 10, with FSTB being a 1 in terms on ease on installation - where would an RSB fall?

As a side question - my 2000 GLE is completely stock - I'm not the worlds most aggressive driver, but I probably way more aggressive than the average driver - probably will only drive on streets (highways) - will I see much difference (obvious difference) in my Maxima's handling with an RSB and FSTB?
Old 01-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: RSB Question

Originally posted by simon tx I have a question regarding selction and installation of an RSB.

First off - why do the Stillen RSB's cost nearly twice as much as the Addco - is there actually much difference in the quality (and performance).
because stealin can do whatever it wants to....they know SOMEONE will pay the high price I have the addco and drove a car with a stealin...our cars do the same thing, but I was able to afford gas and he wasn't cause he was broke hehehehehhe

How difficult is the RSB to install for someone with limited access to a good working area?
not too difficult, it helps if you have someone to help you hold up the rsb as you slide it into the brackets....and jackstands and a hydrolic jack

On a scale of 1 to 10, with FSTB being a 1 in terms on ease on installation - where would an RSB fall?
the fstb is WAYYYYY easier to install than the RSB...front strut bar--open hood unscrew nuts put on bar rescrew nuts ta-da....rsb jack up car...dammit go buy jack, jack up car dammit go buy jack stands slide on u bolts dammit ask neighbor for help....you get the gist of this right??

As a side question - my 2000 GLE is completely stock - I'm not the worlds most aggressive driver, but I probably way more aggressive than the average driver - probably will only drive on streets (highways) - will I see much difference (obvious difference) in my Maxima's handling with an RSB and FSTB?
I was not the world's most aggressive driver till I put the fstb and the rsb on......I'm lyin' I was......the addition of the two makes me more aggressive and turns and curvy roads are WAYYYYY more fun now (espcially with my sticky tires )

out of all the things that I have done to my car, the addition of the bars make a substantial difference in my driving ability

and no smart alec comments about women drivers either
Old 01-21-2003, 08:44 AM

The Stillen has is more adjustable than the Addco, you can change the stiffness of the Addco slightly by moving the bushings towards and away from the trailing arms and the Stillen has preset holes drilled in the bar for different settings. Not worth it for daily drivers IMO, perhaps for hardcore track or auto-x use. I'm more than happy with my Addco for the money, it's a great deal.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by simon tx

Again, because people will pay for it. I installed the Cattman Performance (made by Progress) one this weekend on my 2k3. It was $119 + shipping.

Depends on the weather. If it's cold, a garage would REALLY help. If it's nice and sunny out you can do it with no problem.

I would put it at a 5. The thing is the first time it is a pain in the butt, but I think I could do it in about 45 minutes after having experiance. You will also need a jack, stands, torque wrench (for the tires), assorted sockets, C-Clamps (helped to get the holders over the trailing arms (I think that's what they are called), and a friend to hold the bar and call the ambulance if the car falls on you . Always a good idea to have those around anyway.

YES! Actually, people say that the FSTB doesn't do that much but I immediately noticed a difference in the cornering. The car would run much flatter and had a more "solid" feel to the front end.

The RSB seemed to complete the package by giving the same feel to the rear end. I was taking corners this weekend 20MPH over what I used to. I'm still running on the stock tires so I did get some squealing, but hopefully I'll upgrade those one day too.

The really nice thing about both these mods, is there is no sacrafice in ride comfort unlike springs and larger wheels. If you haven't done either, get the BOMZ FSTB for $35 shipped:

BOMZ $35 FSTB

Once that goes on, you will want to to the RSB!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by simon tx

How difficult is the RSB to install for someone with limited access to a good working area? On a scale of 1 to 10, with FSTB being a 1 in terms on ease on installation - where would an RSB fall?

Easy - you need a flat surface where no-one is going to bother you or accidentally run into your car (thereby making your car fall on you...). Other than that, either ramps or jack stands are needed for safety.

Scale of 1 - 10 (what's 10 - engine replacement?): I'd call the RSB a 4 - it's more tedious and time-consuming (90 minutes if you go slow) than anything. Not complex to understand or do, other than the tweaks to avoid the brake lines and the Panhard "clunk" problem.

[As a side question - my 2000 GLE is completely stock - I'm not the worlds most aggressive driver, but I probably way more aggressive than the average driver - probably will only drive on streets (highways) - will I see much difference (obvious difference) in my Maxima's handling with an RSB and FSTB?
RSB - HUGE difference! FTSB - much less difference. I'm not sure I can tell the difference. Put it on, took it off, put it back on - car is definitely stable in high speed turns, but don't know how much of that is RSB vs. FTSB.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:06 AM

Re: Re: RSB Question

Originally posted by spta97
copycat

Old 01-21-2003, 11:52 AM

If you can get someone, preferably with experience, to help you with the RSB install, it will be a piece of cake.