5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FSTB question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 06:02 PM

FSTB question

I have seen solid rod FSTB, hollow rod FSTB and what looks like a flat bar FSTB from Custommaxima.

Does anyone have an opinion on how these compare? Is there really any difference?

What about these $12 dollar jobs for sale on Ebay? I saw one on ebay that had Nissan engaved in it - it said it was a solid stainless steel rod.

Just looking for opinions - don't want to break the bank if I don't have to.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:06 PM

Re: FSTB question

Originally posted by simon tx
I have seen solid rod FSTB, hollow rod FSTB and what looks like a flat bar FSTB from Custommaxima.

Does anyone have an opinion on how these compare? Is there really any difference?

What about these $12 dollar jobs for sale on Ebay? I saw one on ebay that had Nissan engaved in it - it said it was a solid stainless steel rod.

People say the more solid the bar is the better. I have a BOMZ ($35) and the thing is awesome (solid too). People have also had luck with the E-bay ones.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:06 PM

go with the bomz FSTB. try searching for dealers. i got mine for 35 dollars shipped. it's solid stainless steel, and it was a breeze to install (even to someone who just learned what an "allen key" was the other day).
Old 01-21-2003, 06:54 PM

Re: Re: FSTB question

Originally posted by Young04

go with the bomz FSTB. try searching for dealers. i got mine for 35 dollars shipped. it's solid stainless steel, and it was a breeze to install (even to someone who just learned what an "allen key" was the other day).
I got mine direct from:

BOMZ Racing

for $35 shipped.

Good for you about learing something new! I hate when people reply on the board with stuff like "If you don't know what an Allen key is, maybe you should pay someone to do it". Like they were born with the knowledge of how to work on cars! The only way to learn it is do it!
Old 01-21-2003, 06:58 PM
It's chrome alright...

I got mine off ebay for $24 shipped. It's very solid as in I can't bend it while holding it. I'm putting it on tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Are these for real??

Why would a ton of people be paying over $100 for these things? Are the $35 ones really that crappy? What's the deal? I need to get one, and now that I'm seeing them for that cheap, I'm thinking about doing that AND getting an intake. Someone please comment.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:19 AM

Re: Are these for real??

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy
Why would a ton of people be paying over $100 for these things? Are the $35 ones really that crappy? What's the deal? I need to get one, and now that I'm seeing them for that cheap, I'm thinking about doing that AND getting an intake. Someone please comment.
Looks. That's the only reason people pay so much for a Stillen is because they like the way it looks. My Bomz is really high quality. Good hardware and a nice solid bar. Also, many people bought the expensive ones before the cheaper ones came out.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:38 AM

kind of off-topic, but may i make a suggestion? i see from your profile that you have no mods...before you get the FSTB, i would suggest getting the rear sway bar - a bit more expensive (130) or so, but it's worth every penny. many will tell you that, dollar for dollar, it is the best mod you can do your max - especially for a GLE like yours. i put a RSB on my GLE a couple of months ago, and it dramatically improved handling - eliminated at least 80 percent of the body roll.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:50 AM

Re: Re: FSTB question

kind of off-topic, but may i make a suggestion? i see from your profile that you have no mods...before you get the FSTB, i would suggest getting the rear sway bar - a bit more expensive (130) or so, but it's worth every penny. many will tell you that, dollar for dollar, it is the best mod you can do your max - especially for a GLE like yours. i put a RSB on my GLE a couple of months ago, and it dramatically improved handling - eliminated at least 80 percent of the body roll.
I'm in the same boat. No mods as of yet, but I have an SE. Would you still recommend the RSB first for me as well?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: FSTB question

I'm in the same boat. No mods as of yet, but I have an SE. Would you still recommend the RSB first for me as well?
definitely. do a search on this, and you'll hear nothing but good things about it.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:37 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: Re: Re: FSTB question

Yes! Many people recommend the RSB as the first suspension mod because it reduces body roll so dramatically. I think everyone on here who has a RSB can attest to that.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: FSTB question

definitely. do a search on this, and you'll hear nothing but good things about it.
Sweet, thanks! I'm prolly gonna do that and a Frankencar at the same time.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:04 AM

Young04

Young04,

Thanks for the tip - I definitely plan to do that. I had acutally already started the information query on the RSB last week.

I guess I was at the point where I thought maybe I would order both from Custommaxima and get it all in one package. But then I started seeing some of these other posts about BOMZ and Ebay FSTB and I wanted to inquire.

I'm a little more concerned about installing the RSB because I don't have good working conditions (I live in an apartment and my best friend has a really sloped driveway) - maybe I can help him empty his garage so there is somewhere level to work on the RSB.

I'm actually so busy right now I should put it off until April, but it nevers hurts to research these things in advance.

Right now my plan is RSB, FSTB. My next priority after that is to do a really fantastic detail job on my paint - I've been a little lazy about that.

After that I might consider a Frankenrcar intake with Apexi filter.

thanks for the advice on the RSB