5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

odometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 08:16 AM

odometer

Has anyone been able to turn back or adjust the miles on there odometer?I have a 2001 GXE and I put in a 2000 SE gauge cluster and the odometer reads 24K more than my car has on it.I know the number is stored in the cluster.Can it be modified?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:07 AM

Re: odometer

Originally posted by mrmick
Has anyone been able to turn back or adjust the miles on there odometer?I have a 2001 GXE and I put in a 2000 SE gauge cluster and the odometer reads 24K more than my car has on it.I know the number is stored in the cluster.Can it be modified?
two things.

i learned from a service tech that the odometer readings, while stored on the cluster, is also keyed to the ecu. so when you swap clusters like that, the dealer can 'rekey' your new cluster to the ecu. kinda like programming a new key to your factory smart-key system. if a dealer ever plugs in to the ecu for useage stats, then this is where discrepencies will show.

if you want to sync back to your true mileage, just change out the circuit boards on the back of the clusters. ie, use your old circuit boards on your new cluster.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:50 AM

Re: Re: odometer

Originally posted by serin

two things.

i learned from a service tech that the odometer readings, while stored on the cluster, is also keyed to the ecu. so when you swap clusters like that, the dealer can 'rekey' your new cluster to the ecu. kinda like programming a new key to your factory smart-key system. if a dealer ever plugs in to the ecu for useage stats, then this is where discrepencies will show.

if you want to sync back to your true mileage, just change out the circuit boards on the back of the clusters. ie, use your old circuit boards on your new cluster.
The problem with switching circuit boards is the 2000 Se gauges have a removable board but my 2001 stock black gauge cluster does not.The gauges are soldered on the 2001 and screwed on the 2000.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:55 AM

Ok, so learn to solder, or take your car to the dealership.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: odometer

The problem with switching circuit boards is the 2000 Se gauges have a removable board but my 2001 stock black gauge cluster does not.The gauges are soldered on the 2001 and screwed on the 2000.
well... try this. maybe you can leave the clusters the way they are without touching the electronics in the back. separate the front portions, including the guage faces and transplant the new to the old. if you look at it, you'll see that the se faces are simple overlays just like indiglo faces would be. they unscrew and separate very easily. just transplant those.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: Re: Re: Re: odometer

Originally posted by serin

well... try this. maybe you can leave the clusters the way they are without touching the electronics in the back. separate the front portions, including the guage faces and transplant the new to the old. if you look at it, you'll see that the se faces are simple overlays just like indiglo faces would be. they unscrew and separate very easily. just transplant those.
Can't do it. I already tried. I have 2001 SE gauges which are soldered that I have been waiting to put in my 2000 GLE. Mine read 53,118 right now and the SE gauges are 53,335 so I don't have much further to go before I will switch them.

You have two choices....do what was previously mentioned as getting the gauges keyed in correctly with the mileage on the ECU, or wait until you get to that mileage.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:04 PM

Can't do much other than wait for your car to reach the miles...I had the reverse problem, mine were screws and the one I bought had the board soldered in. Don't take it to the dealer, they will slap a True Mileage Unknown on your car and then it's value will torpedo. Whatever you decide to do, leave the dealer out of it.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:22 PM

Funny

With all the high tech people out there and no one has figured out how to turn these back yet.Maybe I'll have to try and experiment with my old ones.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:37 PM
rilla dope

Haha, you shouldn't have added in the cluster if it was off that much. Also, try selling it. It's fraud if the person ever finds out. The only way legally to swap clusters is to have it keyed by the dealer either when you purchase a new one from them or if you can get them to do it on one you plan on installing.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But the dealer is getting your car with the true mileage being known . . before the cluster swap is attempted. If they put True mileage unknown then they screwed up.

DW

Originally posted by Wasim521
Can't do much other than wait for your car to reach the miles...I had the reverse problem, mine were screws and the one I bought had the board soldered in. Don't take it to the dealer, they will slap a True Mileage Unknown on your car and then it's value will torpedo. Whatever you decide to do, leave the dealer out of it.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:23 PM

Yeah, but I had a not so friendly dealer that said he was going to slap that on my car if he ever noticed a different cluster when I bought it in for service, and likewise said that if they switched the cluster, that they would be forced to put a TMU on the title because it wasn't the same cluster that came with the car. I spoke with my dollars and that service dept. is not getting my business anymore.

Originally posted by dwapenyi
But the dealer is getting your car with the true mileage being known . . before the cluster swap is attempted. If they put True mileage unknown then they screwed up.

DW

Old 02-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I see where you're coming from. I'd do the same thing. But now I also see where the dealer is coming from. They want to protect themselves from any potential lawsuit concerning odo fraud. Oh well, what can you do?

DW

Originally posted by Wasim521
Yeah, but I had a not so friendly dealer that said he was going to slap that on my car if he ever noticed a different cluster when I bought it in for service, and likewise said that if they switched the cluster, that they would be forced to put a TMU on the title because it wasn't the same cluster that came with the car. I spoke with my dollars and that service dept. is not getting my business anymore.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: odometer

Just drive backwards...