5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Boy was he shocked when he looked up the 2k2 headlight housing for 500 some odd bucks!!! due to a 2 inch scuff! on the plastic

then he tried to say that because i scraped a curb on the under side of my bumper that there money would go down because they would be paying to fix something that there not responsible for...

that took me by SHOCK... i was like why would it matter?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

thanks
Old 02-04-2003, 11:29 AM

Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax
Boy was he shocked when he looked up the 2k2 headlight housing for 500 some odd bucks!!! due to a 2 inch scuff! on the plastic

then he tried to say that because i scraped a curb on the under side of my bumper that there money would go down because they would be paying to fix something that there not responsible for...

thanks
Well, insurance companies don't want to pay a dime. If there was previous damage to a part they can say "it was not in new condition" and not give you full replacement value. Double check your policy to be sure. I'm not sure about the details of your accident (refresh my memory) but if the bottom of the bumper was not a part of it they could pull some BS on you and say that they don't have to give you money for a brand new part because it was not new to begin with.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:40 AM

Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Originally posted by spta97

Well, insurance companies don't want to pay a dime. If there was previous damage to a part they can say "it was not in new condition" and not give you full replacement value. Double check your policy to be sure. I'm not sure about the details of your accident (refresh my memory) but if the bottom of the bumper was not a part of it they could pull some BS on you and say that they don't have to give you money for a brand new part because it was not new to begin with.
i was bumped at a gas station .. front right bumper scrathed and headlight housing scuffed...
it wasnt my fault so its that guys insurance comp.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:54 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

i was bumped at a gas station .. front right bumper scrathed and headlight housing scuffed...
the insurance guy doesn't want to pay. It's his job to pay as little as possible, so if there was existing damage they can say they're only going to pay its current value, not replacement cost.

tell the shop owner and the insurance company you want it replace and make them buy it, or you'll sue the guy in small claims. If it comes to that, it costs $20 or so to file in small claims and you can usually go as high as $5000.

BUUUT, really what you're hoping is the shop owner leans on the insurance guy to just pay up to avoid him paying out of pocket in small claims.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

It might be worth it to call your insurance company. They don't want you putting a claim in on their end so they can fight this guy's insurance company for who's responsible for what.

So this damage was definately not a part of when this guy "bumped" you?
Old 02-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

the insurance guy doesn't want to pay. It's his job to pay as little as possible, so if there was existing damage they can say they're only going to pay its current value, not replacement cost.

tell the shop owner and the insurance company you want it replace and make them buy it, or you'll sue the guy in small claims. If it comes to that, it costs $20 or so to file in small claims and you can usually go as high as $5000.

BUUUT, really what you're hoping is the shop owner leans on the insurance guy to just pay up to avoid him paying out of pocket in small claims.
You guys have a very poor understanding of how insurance works. If you file a claim through your insurance company, you are bound by the contract of your policy. 99% of people out there don't take the time to even read the policy, so they are SHOCKED when they hear news like the poster did. Why would an insurance company pay for damage that wasn't related to the accident? That's what claims are for. If you back into a pole and crunch in your bumper, why would you expect the insurance company to pay for that when you rear end somebody?? Those are 2 seperate claims, both subject to your deductible. Just like ANY other business, the insurance company has to make money to survive. If they just paid out the **** on every joe's claim, no one would have insurance because all the companies would be broke. No one wins there. READ YOUR POLICY!!
Old 02-04-2003, 12:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

It might be worth it to call your insurance company. They don't want you putting a claim in on their end so they can fight this guy's insurance company for who's responsible for what.

So this damage was definately not a part of when this guy "bumped" you?
everybody has pulled to far up on a curb once in there life... its one of those lil scraps under everything ... not visible at all...
i think hes just nit picking to get outta paying alot!

especially after the headlight housing price!!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

thanks
The previous scratch on your bumper is irrevelent. You have comprensive correct? Then you could have put that scratch through your insurnace company and they would have fixed it for you already.

Call your insurance company and complain about the adjuster, they might even give that adjuster a hard time. That was a stupid thing for the adjuster to say. You actually saved the insurance company $$$ by not reporting the inncident. What it costs to fix your bumper or when or where the accident happened is irrevelent. Tell them you did it and it falls under comprehensive, but they pay for it.

Either way, they fix your car no matter whats wrong with it. Thats why you pay for insurance, so the cost of repair doesn't come out of your pocket.

FIGHT IT....
Old 02-04-2003, 03:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Originally posted by Ma><iManiac

You guys have a very poor understanding of how insurance works. If you file a claim through your insurance company, you are bound by the contract of your policy. 99% of people out there don't take the time to even read the policy, so they are SHOCKED when they hear news like the poster did. Why would an insurance company pay for damage that wasn't related to the accident? That's what claims are for. If you back into a pole and crunch in your bumper, why would you expect the insurance company to pay for that when you rear end somebody?? Those are 2 seperate claims, both subject to your deductible. Just like ANY other business, the insurance company has to make money to survive. If they just paid out the **** on every joe's claim, no one would have insurance because all the companies would be broke. No one wins there. READ YOUR POLICY!!
you just dont understand its just a couple deep scratch on the under side of the bumper... geesh when an insurance company pays to have the bumper resprayed (like they will) it just so happens that it resrayed the scratch!!

now to comment on the above post... this is NIT PICKING! its like some one backs into you and they say there not paying for it becasue of PAINT CHIPS already on ur bumper GEESH!
Old 02-04-2003, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

you just dont understand its just a couple deep scratch on the under side of the bumper... geesh when an insurance company pays to have the bumper resprayed (like they will) it just so happens that it resrayed the scratch!!

now to comment on the above post... this is NIT PICKING! its like some one backs into you and they say there not paying for it becasue of PAINT CHIPS already on ur bumper GEESH!
If the damage is overlapping, then there is nothing they can do. They have to repair it. I was saying if you damaged some other part of your car, like the quarter panel (extreme example), then the ins company is under no obligation to pay that damage. I just get that all day. I'm a claim rep in a total loss unit, and people just don't understand why we deduct for prior damage (in a total loss). We don't owe to REPLACE anything. We owe the FAIR MARKET VALUE for a vehicle. If you have damage on your car that would put it below the market, then yes that will be deducted. If you were buying a car, would you pay the same for one with a big scrape across the bumper as you would an identical one without the scrape? Of course not! I know you didn't total your car, I'm just venting.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

If the damage is overlapping, then there is nothing they can do. They have to repair it. I was saying if you damaged some other part of your car, like the quarter panel (extreme example), then the ins company is under no obligation to pay that damage. I just get that all day. I'm a claim rep in a total loss unit, and people just don't understand why we deduct for prior damage (in a total loss). We don't owe to REPLACE anything. We owe the FAIR MARKET VALUE for a vehicle. If you have damage on your car that would put it below the market, then yes that will be deducted. If you were buying a car, would you pay the same for one with a big scrape across the bumper as you would an identical one without the scrape? Of course not! I know you didn't total your car, I'm just venting.
ok guy just called... says 850 bucks for a new headlight housing(500)

and the rest to repaint the bumper!

sound fair?????????????????
Old 02-04-2003, 05:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

YOU'RE VENTING??!?!?!?! Try getting an insurance bill!

From your above logic if I back into a pole and then someone rear ends me does that mean he doesn't have to pay for the whole bumper? I totally understand about if the car gets hit on a different side than the damage but if it is on the same panel I think the insurance company doesn't have a choice. Would you deny a smashed windshield full replacement value if there was a bullseye in the corner?

I don't mean to flame, I just think that insurance companies are ***********. Here's there logic from a consumer's point of view:

1) If you use the insurance we will drop you or raise your rates.
2) If other people with the same car use the insurance we will rasise your rates.
3) If your car is violated by a criminal we will violate you again by dropping you or jacking your rates.

I have no sympathy for insurance companies!
Old 02-04-2003, 05:36 PM

ok guy just called... says 850 bucks.... for a new headlight housing(500bucks)

and the rest (350) to repaint the bumper!

let me know
Old 02-04-2003, 05:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Hahah....try dealing with them in health care.
My advice: Don't get in an accident without PIP coverage.

You made a mistake by telling him it was already scratched underneath. You should have said "I never noticed that, he (the other driver) must have done it". They'll simply pay for it versus trying to prove how it got there, since they can't.

You pay insurance companies enough, they should take care of you. It's not your fault they took your money and made bad investments.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:53 PM

ok guy just called... says 850 bucks.... for a new headlight housing(500bucks)

and the rest (350) to repaint the bumper!

let me know
Just as a comparision I had to get my rear bumper redone and a slight ding on the trunk fixed after I backed into my g/f's car (I'm in NY):

Body shop #1 - $1100 (new bumper included)
Body shop #2 - $650 (bumper resurfaced)
Body shop #3 - $350 (bumper resurfaced)

Needless to say I went with door #3

My advice? Go to the most expensive body shop you can and get an estimate. Demand that is the money you want for the damage (it is your right to get the car fixed where YOU want it) then go to a cheaper shop, live with the scratch in the headlight and pocket the rest!
Old 02-04-2003, 05:53 PM

ok guy just called... says 850 bucks.... for a new headlight housing(500bucks) and the rest (350) to repaint the bumper!

let me know
In my experiences, the 2k2 headlight is more like $750. You might want to make sure you can get the extra $250 if it was underestimated.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Quidproquo

In my experiences, the 2k2 headlight is more like $750. You might want to make sure you can get the extra $250 if it was underestimated.
500 is just for the housing not the HID system....

thanks for all the comments!!
Old 02-04-2003, 07:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

I get them every month. " "

From your above logic if I back into a pole and then someone rear ends me does that mean he doesn't have to pay for the whole bumper?

Isn't that exactly what I just said? Read. "If the damage is overlapping, then...They have to repair it."

I totally understand about if the car gets hit on a different side than the damage but if it is on the same panel I think the insurance company doesn't have a choice. Would you deny a smashed windshield full replacement value if there was a bullseye in the corner?

No.

I don't mean to flame, I just think that insurance companies are ***********. Here's there logic from a consumer's point of view:

1) If you use the insurance we will drop you or raise your rates.
More like if you ABUSE your insurance we will drop you or raise your rates.

2) If other people with the same car use the insurance we will rasise your rates.

??? If you say so. Never happened to me, or anybody I know.

3) If your car is violated by a criminal we will violate you again by dropping you or jacking your rates.

What planet are you from? You must have some terrible insurance company or something. If that's what I had to deal with I'd be bitter too.

If you think insurance is so terrible, go ahead and drop your coverage and then tell me what your opinion of insurance is without it. I have to listen to people whine about this all day. Gets a little old.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:13 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

I have to listen to people whine about this all day. Gets a little old.
wow, you're brave.

we know you're "in" insurance but you must work at the best company on the face of the earth. On homeowner's, I put in a claim for a lost ring, then 2 days later found it and cancelled the claim. Put in a claim a year later for leaky roof. Two years later talked to the insurance company about something else and he said if I put in another claim I'll get dropped for being "excessive" (you're saying "abuse"). Turns out they counted the first claim, even though I cancelled it. I tried to talk sense to them but all they could see was "put in a claim"... never once mentioned "oh, but you cancelled it." Didn't care that they didn't pay me anything. All that mattered was, by putting in a claim, I proved I was WILLING to use my insurance... that's what they're afraid of... someone who's actually going to use insurance for what it's SUPPOSED to be used for. I don't want "free money", all I want it what I'm due.

So, since you singled me out as having a "very poor understanding of how insurance works" I'll say this... I pay every month/year to make sure if anything catastrophic goes wrong I won't be stuck with a seven hudred thousand dollar hospital bill.

But that smug "if you think insurance is so terrible...drop your coverage" is why people rank insurance companies/agents right up there with used car salesmen, drug dealers, and telemarketers.

So, 2k2PhatMax, if he scratched it sue him in small claims.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

wow, you're brave.

If you say so

we know you're "in" insurance but you must work at the best company on the face of the earth. On homeowner's, I put in a claim for a lost ring, then 2 days later found it and cancelled the claim.

I thought we were talking about auto here? Let's compare apples to apples please. Insurance companies expect people to use their auto insurance more often. You're driving a 2000 lb chunk of metal at 60mph every day. Things there are expected to go wrong. Homeowners isn't even close to the same thing. That said, remember insurance is like sick days at work. They are there for the times when you really need them. But start abusing them and you're gonna get fired.

So, since you singled me out as having a "very poor understanding of how insurance works" I'll say this... I pay every month/year to make sure if anything catastrophic goes wrong I won't be stuck with a seven hudred thousand dollar hospital bill.

Everybody does.

But that smug "if you think insurance is so terrible...drop your coverage" is why people rank insurance companies/agents right up there with used car salesmen, drug dealers, and telemarketers.

It's not smug, it's called reality. Like I said, whine all you want, but when the time comes to pay the check, I'll bet you're damn glad you've got a system there to bail your **** out.

So, 2k2PhatMax, if he scratched it sue him in small claims.

Oh yeah, that's good. Let's congest our legal system with even more useless crap. Good solution.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Ma><iManiac <<<<<<
Old 02-04-2003, 09:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Ma><iManiac <<<<<<
Whatever, I'm done trying to tell you how it is. You guys can keep crying to each other. I'm out.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:18 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

Whatever, I'm done trying to tell you how it is. You guys can keep crying to each other. I'm out.

this is typical of the insurance industry... "we've got your money, now try to get it back." I'm not crying, I'm telling like it is. If someone else damaged his stuff their insurance should pay. If they won't, he should go to small claims... that's what it's there for!!!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:51 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well.. you could take out your frustations on Ma><iManiac (like everyone does all day) *or* you could just listen to him and try to learn something. I mean, should you ever have the misfortune to meet him he will most likely be holding all the cards.

I know people think insurance companies are evil. And for the most part it is highway robbery, but this litigous society (and natural distasters/terrorism) is really putting insurance in jeapordy (or priced out of affordability).

Anyway, you guys just dogpiled the messenger and missed the message. We give away an incredible amount of our rights without ever bothering to read the agreements we enter into. Not that we could do a damn thing about it, just saying.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by TimW
well.. you could take out your frustations on Ma><iManiac (like everyone does all day) *or* you could just listen to him and try to learn something. I mean, should you ever have the misfortune to meet him he will most likely be holding all the cards.

I know people think insurance companies are evil. And for the most part it is highway robbery, but this litigous society (and natural distasters/terrorism) is really putting insurance in jeapordy (or priced out of affordability).

Anyway, you guys just dogpiled the messenger and missed the message. We give away an incredible amount of our rights without ever bothering to read the agreements we enter into. Not that we could do a damn thing about it, just saying.
i know what u mean....in my case it was a bit rediculous though...
everybody and there brother has pulled to far up on a curb and the adjuster was trying to take advantage of it!
Old 02-05-2003, 05:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance Adjuster just looked at my car!!

I get them every month. " "
[/B]
Yea, and I'm sure you don't get a discount for being in the business

Isn't that exactly what I just said? Read. "If the damage is overlapping, then...They have to repair it."
Over lapping and on the same part are 2 different things. However, if you have to repair the whole part for damaged caused by an accident, the other parts that were previously damaged (ie: scratches on the lower part of the bumper) should be part of it no?

No.
Good!

More like if you ABUSE your insurance we will drop you or raise your rates.
I guess ABUSE is a relative term. Some insurance companies feel that one time usage is abuse (ie: GEICO).

??? If you say so. Never happened to me, or anybody I know.
I DO say so, and so does my and your insurance company. How do you think the rates are determined for a particular car???? When I had my old '97 Trans Am the rates were cheaper than a Mitsubishi Eclipse that had 100 less horsepower AND AWD (safer IMO). When I asked why the agent said "There are more claims on the Eclipse".

What planet are you from? You must have some terrible insurance company or something. If that's what I had to deal with I'd be bitter too.
I am from Earth, nice to meet you. I have Allstate which seems to be a pretty good company compared to others I've had but anything under about $1500 I'll pay for out of pocket so I don't have to deal with rate increases.

If you think insurance is so terrible, go ahead and drop your coverage and then tell me what your opinion of insurance is without it. I have to listen to people whine about this all day. Gets a little old.
Yea, that's pretty good advice. I can see that customer service is key where you work! Perhaps I can get a quote?