5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM or After Market Navigation system for 5th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 03:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OEM or After Market Navigation system for 5th gen.

Alright guys, spring and summer are right around the corner and I am planning at least 4 road trips of more than 500 miles each. I've been thinking of getting a NAV system but not sure whats involved.
Here are some questions I have:
1. Would it be recommended to get the Nissan NAV on my 2K. or Can I even?
2. Would it better overall to go aftermarket?
3. Whats involved in the installation?
4. Do you have any recommendation on a particular system?
5. Anyone here has an aftermarket NAV system w/pictures?
6. What am I looking at cost wise?
7. Last, do you have one to sell in excellent condition

I am sorry to have asked so many questions but I am really thinking of getting one and just want to know whats involved. I appreciate any information you guys can spare.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have never used this but I was looking into this one myself.
Cheaper than factory.gpsnow
Old 02-06-2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by titanium maxx
I have never used this but I was looking into this one myself.
Cheaper than factory.gpsnow
I see that but I am really looking more for something in-dash.. not handheld
Old 02-06-2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut

I see that but I am really looking more for something in-dash.. not handheld
i think you need to go aftermarket. This was discuss awhile back, some 2k2 owners want to add NAV after we bought the car, but it was too much money.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:38 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I have one of these for sale
http://gpsnow.com/gmv.htm

right now I'm using this
http://www.mapopolis.com/index.jsp
With an Ipaq and Holux CF GPS. It rocks. I can use it in either car, it has voice, points of interest, fast and accurate routing, gets updated every quarter, and I dont worry about losing 4K worth of Nav and car stereo when traveling to areas I dont know.

surprisingly, it has better coverage than the G35 I was in last month :/ thats sad.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:50 PM

Dell has a 10% off sale on their Axim PDA's. They are top of the line, possibly the best right now. Here's the link:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/produc...es_pda_snp.htm

$224 is for a 300mhz PDA with 32mb
$314 is for a 400mhz PDA with 64mb
Old 02-06-2003, 10:52 PM

the best CompactFlash GPS you can buy, period... hands down... no contest..

http://www.semsons.com/holcfgpsrecw.html

that's bundled with Mapopolis. (or 159 without) You can upgrade to the voice and auto-rerouting version for $40 more from Mapopolis directly after registering.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:40 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

The stock Navi is awesome. It has helped me tons, when I travel.. but it's too pricey top put in .
Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Play with my balls

Re: OEM or After Market Navigation system for 5th gen.

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut
Alright guys, spring and summer are right around the corner and I am planning at least 4 road trips of more than 500 miles each. I've been thinking of getting a NAV system but not sure whats involved.
Here are some questions I have:
1. Would it be recommended to get the Nissan NAV on my 2K. or Can I even?
2. Would it better overall to go aftermarket?
3. Whats involved in the installation?
4. Do you have any recommendation on a particular system?
5. Anyone here has an aftermarket NAV system w/pictures?
6. What am I looking at cost wise?
7. Last, do you have one to sell in excellent condition

I am sorry to have asked so many questions but I am really thinking of getting one and just want to know whats involved. I appreciate any information you guys can spare.
If you want the best bang for a little more, check out the Kenwood Navigation System, with one of their indash fold out screens, that include a dvd also. This is a bit pricy, but you get kewl features like touch screen, and a hell of alot of other things. The reason I think these units are so great is because of the up to date roads. Kenwood has more physical addresses and recreational places. Most other units like Alpine and Clarion have more of a recreational setting, like places to eat, hotels, and stuff like that. Kenwood has all of this and more detailed roads. Did I mention the awesome touchscreen and dvd player.

Best packages: Kenwood KVT-911DVD w/touchscreen
Kenwood KNA-DV2100 Navigation System

Check ebay for the best prices.......if the head unit is too pricy, then you can go with just a regular monitor mounted on the dash which is also touchscreen, but will save you some funds. Kenwood LZ-701W, which is just a 7-inch monitor.

This is my .02 on what I think would be the best performing system for the precious Max. -----Very nice setup-----
Old 02-07-2003, 07:45 AM

Re: Re: OEM or After Market Navigation system for 5th gen.

Originally posted by Deckdout2

If you want the best bang for a little more, check out the Kenwood Navigation System, with one of their indash fold out screens, that include a dvd also. This is a bit pricy, but you get kewl features like touch screen, and a hell of alot of other things. The reason I think these units are so great is because of the up to date roads. Kenwood has more physical addresses and recreational places. Most other units like Alpine and Clarion have more of a recreational setting, like places to eat, hotels, and stuff like that. Kenwood has all of this and more detailed roads. Did I mention the awesome touchscreen and dvd player.

Check ebay for the best prices.......if the head unit is too pricy, then you can go with just a regular monitor mounted on the dash which is also touchscreen, but will save you some funds. Kenwood LZ-701W, which is just a 7-inch monitor.

This is my .02 on what I think would be the best performing system for the precious Max. -----Very nice setup-----
talk about Kenwood, there are 2 Kenwood outlets here in Dallas,
they might have some good prices and yet still under manufacture waranty.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:47 AM

Re: Re: OEM or After Market Navigation system for 5th gen.

Originally posted by Deckdout2

damn that does look nice...but is there a setup similar to the kenwood u mentioned with a 6 disc indash changer? it's annoying having to eject the cd and fumble with it in the case while i'm driving..a changer would be nice..i dont really care much for the navigation tho..just want a player with a screen
Old 02-07-2003, 09:04 AM

Thanks fellas, I am looking at some of my options. The Kenwood is hands down HoT! But real pricey. The Holux so far seems the better option cost and feature wise.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:18 AM

yeah, I love my Ipaq for nav, but I really wouldnt hesitate to drop 3k+ for the Pioneer or 4K for the Kenwood if I wasnt worry about it getting ripped. Obviously they blow the little Ipaq out of the water on features. I mean, they have DVD storage, dont think my SD card will ever touch that. Plus they just look great.

Since Sept 11th airline changes, its really easier to drive anywhere within 5-6 hours, sometimes even quicker. Given that, I've taken many trips in the max that I used to just fly. I'm constantly in Memphis, Dallas or Nashville with the Max. While I have a good idea where my car is safe in Little Rock, when I get to these other cities, its a real risk. Especially if we're out doing things or the hotel parking. Often the nicest hotels ($$$) still have some rather questionable parking. They dont put many hotels in the nicest parts of town, more near the biz/shopping districts. And even when they do, its hard for an out-of-towner to know what they are. I've parked my max in some pretty scary spots in downtown Memphis and Dallas.

My biggest single complaint with all the indash screens is that none of them are stealth at all.. and the ones with removable faces dont remove enough to hide what they are. I've talked to alot of people who've lost their screens with that lame little strip removed (Pioneer), or in the case of the Kenwood its super easy to spot.

Man, if I could find/fab a stock NAV bezel and put a screen in there, I would do that in a second. At least that wouldnt be high profile or at much risk of theft.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:22 AM

Or for those of you that need just the occasional directions and need a bigger screen, get a laptop. The Staples here in Newington, CT is clearing them out. Less that 1000, most come with mail in rebates too. There was one cheap laptop for $699. 13.3" screen, 800 mhz, basically decent specs.
I have a dell 600 mhz with a 14.1" screen that I take with me on long car trips. With Sony skymap gps, its extremely accurate. Gives you voice directions (use a tape adapter in the car). Will reroute if you go the wrong way. A cheap power convertor will keep the juice flowing, so you don't have to rely on the battery. The best part is you don't have to squint. There are special laptop holders that fit a passenger seat, but I usually let my friends navigate / play solitare on road trips.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:56 AM

well, I have a Sony SRX as well.. the Holux GPS card fits in the side. It weighs 2.2 lbs and has a 10.4 screen, Low Voltage p3 800 and runs for 4+ hours. It gives voice control and nav with CoPilot or Street Atlas 2003. And its a kick a$$ laptop. I usually play Colin McRae 2 on the plane while everyone else is doing excel

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,106118,00.asp

anyway, while its a great tiny laptop, and the GPS is dead on, and the software is equally great, a laptop of any size gets cumbersome after awhile. hard to mount it on the dash like an Ipaq or garmin.

If I had a Escalade or something, the laptop would be perfect.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:31 AM

Go After-Market

I bought my car and they didn't have one with Navigation in my color so the dealer gave me cash to install an after-market navigation system.

I admit the aftermarket is better! I have the Alpine navigation that sits on the side and has a 6.5" Alpine screen. Looks good and can be taken down in 15 seconds.

The Nissan Navigation uses CD-ROM technology while the Alpine is DVD or some of the other better systems also. The Alpine shows the whole U.S. and parts of Canada. It also has millions of POI (Points of Interest) which include restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc..has their addresses and phone numbers. So its like having Yahoo Maps and Yahoo yellow pages in your car!

I've used it a lot..yes..it was expensive..but its one of those toys that I have and it has been very helpful.

Once you have one in your car and you use it, then you will be like this is nice and you will not want to be without one!
Old 02-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Play with my balls

Re: Re: Re: OEM or After Market Navigation system for 5th gen.

Originally posted by skandalouz

damn that does look nice...but is there a setup similar to the kenwood u mentioned with a 6 disc indash changer? it's annoying having to eject the cd and fumble with it in the case while i'm driving..a changer would be nice..i dont really care much for the navigation tho..just want a player with a screen
You can get another headunit that doesn't have a cd player in it or anything, it's fully motorized, and is actually made for sirus radio. Still has the touch screen, and is bad as hell also. Kenwood KVT-m700... not as expensive as the other that i mentioned. And you can just pick out a changer from their selection. I fyou really wanna get technical, they have dvd changers also. Kenwood is pricy I agree, but their systems are the mack daddy, and have done nothing but improved over the past few years by leaps and bounds.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Play with my balls

Re: Re: Re: OEM or After Market Navigation system for 5th gen.

Originally posted by exunaja

talk about Kenwood, there are 2 Kenwood outlets here in Dallas,
they might have some good prices and yet still under manufacture waranty.

To be quite honest with you, after doing alot of research the best prices that i've found is on ebay, you might have to wait for the perfect auction that is low and the right time. but I have the Kenwood KAC-X520 amp pushing the KFC-XW1225 DB subs, which are the best one's they've got off of ebay brand new. paid 75 bucks each for the subs, and 230 for the amp. retail subs are 250 each and 500 for the amp.