5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm jealous of my friend's Mazda Protege!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:43 AM

I'm jealous of my friend's Mazda Protege!!

Don't get me wrong here, I love my max with all my heart. I was just really impressed with my friend's new Protege ES. The stock stereo in this car blows the Bose in Nissans out of the water big time! I just wish Nissan didn't insist on going with Bose. The soundstage was crisp and real. The bass was true and not distorted. I could go on forever... Will Nissan ever stray away from Bose? I'm guessing no because they probably use the Bose name as a huge marketing tool.

Nonetheless, this Mazda is a really nice car for the money. It has a beautiful fit/finish and it also comes with a 4 year/50k mile warranty for the drivetrain and bumper to bumper. Even the tires impressed me. It has nice 16" alloys wrapped with Dunlop SP 5000's. This little $16k car can handle very well. Mazda also gladly offers loaners for warranty work. Mazda is going places... We shall see... I can't wait to test drive the RX-8. Loaded for $32k!! Base price of $25k!!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:15 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Re: I'm jealous of my friend's Mazda Protege!!

Originally posted by pjonkheer
Don't get me wrong here, I love my max with all my heart. I was just really impressed with my friend's new Protege ES. The stock stereo in this car blows the Bose in Nissans out of the water big time! I just wish Nissan didn't insist on going with Bose. The soundstage was crisp and real. The bass was true and not distorted. I could go on forever... Will Nissan ever stray away from Bose? I'm guessing no because they probably use the Bose name as a huge marketing tool.

Nonetheless, this Mazda is a really nice car for the money. It has a beautiful fit/finish and it also comes with a 4 year/50k mile warranty for the drivetrain and bumper to bumper. Even the tires impressed me. It has nice 16" alloys wrapped with Dunlop SP 5000's. This little $16k car can handle very well. Mazda also gladly offers loaners for warranty work. Mazda is going places... We shall see... I can't wait to test drive the RX-8. Loaded for $32k!! Base price of $25k!!
I've liked the recent Proteges as well. I like and almost purchased the MP5 when it first came out. One of the best looking wagons, IMHO.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:17 AM

Re: I'm jealous of my friend's Mazda Protege!!

It is a nice "sporty" compact sedan with good performance and values compare to corolla/civil. I was considering on purchasing it a year ago. But after test driving the Maxima, there was no comparison afterward.
Is your friend's Protege the new turbo version?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:33 AM

also they came out with the new awesome mazda 6...hott *** car
Old 02-20-2003, 09:43 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by 2001SE
One of the best handling stock FWD sedan I've driven in years! It's at the very least as good as the Contour SVT, but with better HP/TQ. And the price isn't much different from the 2000 CSVT either. Good car overall.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:05 AM

I work for Mazda and they suprised the hell out of me with some of their cars.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by 2001SE
The Mazda 6s is a BEAUTIFUL car(at least in the mags).

Now, if they drop the MAZDASPEED T25(T28?) turbo engine in that sucker, I'm going to be jeeeeealous!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

It's at the very least as good as the Contour SVT, but with better HP/TQ.
Personaly i think its alot better car than the SVT Contour, i spent more in repairs on my svt than what i paid for the car
so far i havent heard anything bad about the protege
Old 02-20-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Now, if they drop the MAZDASPEED T25(T28?) turbo engine in that sucker, I'm going to be jeeeeealous!
yup mazada 6 is pretty sweet.... i test drove one for the fun of it...

and it was pretty suprised how well the car ran.... it's definally worth a look
Old 02-20-2003, 11:29 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by djPlayboy

Personaly i think its alot better car than the SVT Contour, i spent more in repairs on my svt than what i paid for the car
so far i havent heard anything bad about the protege
I wasn't talking about repairs or build quality. My comment was about the handling.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:49 AM

I wasn't talking about repairs or build quality. My comment was about the handling.
my bad , she did handel very well especially after eibachs were on her.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Ask and u shall receive...

A Mazdaspeed version of the Mazda 6 will be coming out sometime next yea most likely...It'll feature the I-4 turbocharged pushing around 280 horses and slightly more in the torque area. Specualtion also is that it will be AWD and at the moment its going to hit europe this year sometime....I can't wait for it to come here.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by DJSCIASCIA

A Mazdaspeed version of the Mazda 6 will be coming out sometime next yea most likely...It'll feature the I-4 turbocharged pushing around 280 horses and slightly more in the torque area. Specualtion also is that it will be AWD and at the moment its going to hit europe this year sometime....I can't wait for it to come here.
Wow, that really sounds nice... However, why would Mazda put something so great in front of the RX-8? With those stats, it would blow the doors off an RX-8, minus some handling characteristics.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:46 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I read about this on a Ford site...maybe the CEG. They were talking about putting one into a regular cab Ranger That would be scary.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would have gotten the sentra v spec for 16 grand. owell
Old 02-20-2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by ChillWill2000
I would have too, but my friend is a chick and she doesn't care about how fast the car is. Beyond the engine, the protege is a much better automobile.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:05 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by ChillWill2000
You're comparing a subcombact sedan to a midsize sedan? I'm not getting the picture on this one...
Old 02-20-2003, 01:16 PM

Wow, that really sounds nice... However, why would Mazda put something so great in front of the RX-8? With those stats, it would blow the doors off an RX-8, minus some handling characteristics.

Mazda's not dumb, eventhough we might all think they are....They are also planing on releasing a Mazdaspeed version of the RX-8 which will be turboed like the old RX-7 and there is talk of the RX-7 coming back out in a 05 version for 2004. We'll just have to wait and see what happens but Mazda is breaking loose in the sport scene.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:31 PM

Mazda's not dumb, eventhough we might all think they are....They are also planing on releasing a Mazdaspeed version of the RX-8 which will be turboed like the old RX-7 and there is talk of the RX-7 coming back out in a 05 version for 2004. We'll just have to wait and see what happens but Mazda is breaking loose in the sport scene.
WOW!! This is the type of information that really excites me. I'm really pumped about the direction the auto industry is moving in. If Mazda had a symbol on the stock exchange, I'd buy it tomorrow. They are going places.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:33 PM

You're comparing a subcombact sedan to a midsize sedan? I'm not getting the picture on this one...
D'oh ! I thought they were in the same class.

im just die hard nissan
Old 02-20-2003, 01:44 PM

I drove the 6 a few weeks ago. Very nice car...too small inside. Power was lacking in my opinion..Altima and the max feel much stronger. I was very disappointed.

Not to mention...just to **** with the salesman..I asked him..:"Who makes the motor?" He Him hawed around and sort of whispered..FORD.

That is all I need to know...
Old 02-20-2003, 02:08 PM

yeah the new mazdas are cosmetically pretty nice. My friend works for a mazda dealership and ive driven the 6 because my sis is most likely going to get one. Thing handles very nice, looks nice both inside and outside, brakes were tight, only complaint was that it was kinda lacking in the power department. I test drove the 4 banger one but the 6 cyl ones are supposed to be pretty quick. Overall pretty decent car for the money, BUT its still a ford....

-Steve
Old 02-20-2003, 02:57 PM

scmaxima2k.....I drove the 6 cyliner...not too impressive either...no Zoom Zoom
Old 02-20-2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by wild *****
no Zoom Zoom

false advertising

-Steve
Old 02-20-2003, 04:24 PM

I drove the 6 a few weeks ago. Very nice car...too small inside. Power was lacking in my opinion..Altima and the max feel much stronger. I was very disappointed.

Not to mention...just to **** with the salesman..I asked him..:"Who makes the motor?" He Him hawed around and sort of whispered..FORD.

That is all I need to know...

As all of u know I have a 2k2 Max, but I'll take the handling of the Mazda 6 anyday over the Max right out of the box...It is no where as powerful as the Max but it is fun to drive...

The 6cyl is more of a Ford engine with a some Japanese engineering in it, but the 4cyl is pretty much all of Mazda's design and engineering...that's why the Mazdaspeed version of the Mazda 6 will be based on a 4cyl...

Remember Ford owns 1/3 of Mazda, just like they have peices of Volvo and even Jaguar...Just because Ford is a part of it doesn't mean that all of there engineering will be passed on to other companies....we just take the good stuff ford offers (which might not be much) and make it better for us to use.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:27 PM

scmaxima2k.....I drove the 6 cyliner...not too impressive either...no Zoom Zoom

To appricate the car a lil bit better u need to drive it in 5speed...the autotragics I could care less for.

For the price of 20.5k the Mazdaspeed Protege is best bang for the buck...I take that over a base 4cyl Mazda 6 anyday...Over 1000 parts help make the Mazdaspeed Pro different from the Pro ES.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:51 PM

DJSCIASCIA...... I drove the auto to compare apples to apples. My car is an auto so it was only fair that i drove the auto. I doubt the 5 speed would touch the Max 6 speed or the Alti 5 speed. There is a guy over at .net that is running 13.8's @102mph....the 6 ain't going to smell that
Old 02-20-2003, 04:58 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

The 6 is not yet meant to be a super speed sedan like the Max or Alt. It will be one day It handles much better than either, brakes much better than either, and actually has some pretty decent room (although it seems small). It's bigger inside than the Passat. It's got a bigger trunk than the Max too, and doesn't have those silly struts in the way. All in all, it's the best handling package for the money now. It's a lot like the Contour SVT was, only bigger, better built, and faster. Hell, it's even LESS expensive than the Tour was. I'd say they definitely have a winner on their hands. I give Mazda it's props.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:02 PM

DJSCIASCIA...... I drove the auto to compare apples to apples. My car is an auto so it was only fair that i drove the auto. I doubt the 5 speed would touch the Max 6 speed or the Alti 5 speed. There is a guy over at .net that is running 13.8's @102mph....the 6 ain't going to smell that

I agree that power for power the Mazda 6 stands no chance...but put them all on roads with twists and turns the Mazda 6 will eat them up...Don't forget I own a 2k2 Max so I'm not being biased cause I sell Mazda's, but I'll call it like I see it.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:05 PM

I give Mazda it's props.
Oh i definately give mazda props, dont get me wrong. The 6 definately impressed me. BTW the 6 i drove was an automatic 4cyl.

-Steve
Old 02-20-2003, 08:38 PM

I spent about an hour at the Mazda dealership the other night and I am way impressed with the Mazdaspeed Protege and the Mazda 6. They are sweet cars and there new 50k mile warranty is also a big bonus.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
Overall pretty decent car for the money, BUT its still a ford....
By that same reasoning, you own a Renault. I've *NEVER* seen a quality Renault. (Which may explain why there are so many problems with the 02/03's...)

You should be careful before you diss someone's lineage...
Old 02-21-2003, 03:10 AM

If I were younger...I might go with it...but, I need to put 2 baby seats in it. When I test drove it ..me and sthe salesman set the seats to where we would be....and the was no room for a persons legs in the back nor a baby seat....IT IS TIGHT IN THE BACK

I have had several engines mad by ford...All new....All sucked...Big mistake on Mazda's part
Old 02-21-2003, 07:01 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by scmaxima2k

Oh i definately give mazda props, dont get me wrong. The 6 definately impressed me. BTW the 6 i drove was an automatic 4cyl.

-Steve
I'm just so friggin happy to see the auto industry heading in what I feel is the "right" direction. Performance and economy all rolled into one. Those words never crossed in the 80's and early 90's much (if at all).
Old 02-21-2003, 10:48 AM

Are you guys serious about the Mazda6? A friend of mine is a mechanic at Mazda and I've PDI'd a couple with him, 6cyl, manual. They are pretty quick thats for sure, faster than I thought. They look 100% better on TV and in magazines than in person.. Not that they look bad, they just have a weird stance.. and the interiors are cold and VERY cheap looking... whats with that HUGE silver piece of plastic with buttons randomly scattered all over it for the centre console! I also found the seats very uncomfortable, but thats more a personnel thing... If they had a warmer comfier interior they would be much more appealing... Oh yeah and the doors are thin and light which gives you the subconcious feeling of a cheap car... There are 2 things to do to ANY car to find out how good it is... Slam the doors and beep the horn.. jk..

Phoenix1911
Old 02-21-2003, 11:14 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by Phoenix1911
Are you guys serious about the Mazda6? A friend of mine is a mechanic at Mazda and I've PDI'd a couple with him, 6cyl, manual. They are pretty quick thats for sure, faster than I thought. They look 100% better on TV and in magazines than in person.. Not that they look bad, they just have a weird stance.. and the interiors are cold and VERY cheap looking... whats with that HUGE silver piece of plastic with buttons randomly scattered all over it for the centre console! I also found the seats very uncomfortable, but thats more a personnel thing... If they had a warmer comfier interior they would be much more appealing... Oh yeah and the doors are thin and light which gives you the subconcious feeling of a cheap car... There are 2 things to do to ANY car to find out how good it is... Slam the doors and beep the horn.. jk..

Phoenix1911
Funny you mentioned the horn! Have you heard the Max's?
Old 02-21-2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Phoenix1911

Phoenix1911
While I still think the 6 is a great car, I do agree with most of your post. Good breakdown... The RX-8 looks awesome in magazines and on the web. I wonder if it will stack up in person.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

The mazda 6 is good looking car. I wouldn't mind sporting one when the time comes that I have to retire my max. But that be sometime from now, hopefully.