5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

One pot hole=TWO Blowouts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One pot hole=TWO Blowouts...

I was coming back from NH on Saturday night and it was still raining like it had been all day. I was about a mile from my house when I hit a good size pot hole on a road that I travel on a regular basis. I had no warning that it was there and because it was still raining, water had filled it up so I could not see it until it was too late. I stopped and got out to look to see if anything happened and it looked fine. The closer I got to my house, I noticed the handling was not the same. I pulled the car into my garage and when I got out, I saw BOTH right side tires going down!!
However, on the bright side of things, it happened close to home and now I am going to replace the Potenzas...
Old 02-23-2003, 06:44 PM

Re: One pot hole=TWO Blowouts...

Originally posted by kronnman
I was coming back from NH on Saturday night and it was still raining like it had been all day. I was about a mile from my house when I hit a good size pot hole on a road that I travel on a regular basis. I had no warning that it was there and because it was still raining, water had filled it up so I could not see it until it was too late. I stopped and got out to look to see if anything happened and it looked fine. The closer I got to my house, I noticed the handling was not the same. I pulled the car into my garage and when I got out, I saw BOTH right side tires going down!!
However, on the bright side of things, it happened close to home and now I am going to replace the Potenzas...
same thing happened to me on sat night! i hit a HUGE hole :cry:

now i feel a judder put my kuhmo didnt pop THANK GOD
Old 02-23-2003, 06:57 PM

Re: Re: One pot hole=TWO Blowouts...

Originally posted by Igor911

same thing happened to me on sat night! i hit a HUGE hole :cry:

now i feel a judder put my kuhmo didnt pop THANK GOD
Both of the Potenza's blew out on the sidewall on the back side of the rims. I just hope that there is no other damage underneath. I'll find out Monday morning.

The joys of winter in New England..
Old 02-23-2003, 07:19 PM

You might want to check for a bent rim. Once I hit a pot hole and the air in my tires stated to release. When I went to the tire shop I was informed I had two yes TWO F**king bent rims.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by nice95GLE
You might want to check for a bent rim. Once I hit a pot hole and the air in my tires stated to release. When I went to the tire shop I was informed I had two yes TWO F**king bent rims.
That is one of the things that I am concerned about and hope it is not the case. Just looking at them, they look fine but I have not seen the rim with the tire off of it. If they are bent, I quess I will have to start looking for some new rims too.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by kronnman

That is one of the things that I am concerned about and hope it is not the case. Just looking at them, they look fine but I have not seen the rim with the tire off of it. If they are bent, I quess I will have to start looking for some new rims too.
If you can't see any damage in the tires and it is not keeping the air it might be bent in the back of the rim. The front looked fine with mines until the tire was removed.
But I hope this is not the case for you, don't you hate it when you have to spend money on your car that is not a mod.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by nice95GLE

If you can't see any damage in the tires and it is not keeping the air it might be bent in the back of the rim. The front looked fine with mines until the tire was removed.
But I hope this is not the case for you, don't you hate it when you have to spend money on your car that is not a mod.
I too hit a pot hole. Only noticed a difference when drove over 75MPH. The car shakes a bit. So I take it to my Nissan Dealership to see what's wrong. They tell me the rim was bent. Estimate... You're gonna love this.
New rim, 2 new tires, and an alignment...

Total: $1,400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want to charge me $599 for the rim alone. What a rip-off! Got the hell out of there, and am now looking for a 17' alloy. But they managed to get $40 out of me for looking at the car. Crooks!
Old 02-24-2003, 09:50 AM

I just came back from the tire place. It turns out there are 2 bubbles in my sidewalls on both from tires and they said that i need new tires

WTF I just bought these brand new like 6 months ago
Old 02-24-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Igor911
I just came back from the tire place. It turns out there are 2 bubbles in my sidewalls on both from tires and they said that i need new tires

WTF I just bought these brand new like 6 months ago
I hear you there. I was trying to put off my tire purchase until this spring but I have no choice now. I have been researching for a few weeks now and I had decided to go with the Cooper Lifeliner SLE V-rated 225/50/VR17's. I am getting them for $117 a tire. That price is mounted, balanced and trashing old tires. From what I have read about them, they are supposed to be an excellent wet tire.

We will see...
Old 02-24-2003, 12:46 PM

Bent Rims...

Hey folks,

I'm in the same boat, although I didn't bend the rims or blister a tire.

I just wanted to add that you can have Aluminum rims bent back into shape.

Check out this rim, this was on my other car, it's a 16" aluminum rim

Looks totally farked, yes?

eh eh, that rim was repairable, I kid you not. I went to a tire place that specialzed in repairing aluminum rims and I swear I couldn't even tell the rim was ever bent. No vibration, holds air no problem. honest injun.

Call around for a place that has the equipment to repair them. I went to a shop that couldn't, but they referred me to someone that could.

For those located in the south eastern PA area, the shop I used was located in wilmington, DE, but I forget the name. Seriously, I was amazed that the rim looked new. Saved me $500. I think it was like $40 to repair, don't quote me though 'cause I forget.

BTW, see that slight abrasion in the tire just before the rim ding? It turned into a blister within 10 miles of driving on it once the rim was fixed. They filled the tire with air and it was fine at first. Driving on it though made the blister come out. Hidden damage can be dangerous, keep an eye on those things. Luckily I got home before it blew out.