5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

three week old '01 SE rear ended hard....by co-worker (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 06:15 AM

So I am going out to a client site yesterday, and one of my coworkers is following me downtown. He moved to the US from Bangaladesh less than a year ago and has been driving for only 4 months. The whole time I am looking in my rearview thinking that he doesn't have a clue what he is doing behind the wheel. He would lag back, then speed up; everytime I switched lanes he would do the same regardless of who he was cutting off.

Anyway, we are cruising down a 45 mph two lane road and two cars in front of me some guy decides that he wants to turn. The crown vic in front of me hits the brakes hard, I hit the brakes hard, my coworker doesn't hit his brakes until his bumper is in my back seat. He hit me so hard that it made my Max jump the 2-3 feet forward and slam the guy in front of me even though I was at a complete stop with my foot on the brake.

Well, the cops came, gave my co-worker a "following to close" ticket. His '89 stanza is totally wrecked. My back bumber ate up his radiator, bent his hood up and under, and took out his grill. He hit so hard that the glass and plastic from is headlights flew forward through the air and were scattered across the road under my car past my front bumper.

But, the maxima performed wonderfully. The back bumper has a small crack in it at the bottom but other than that, just scratches. The front bumper got pushed in a bit and doesn't come flush with the headlights ut that should be a fairly easy fix too. My point is, that when the wreck happened, I thought for certain that my car was going to be totally screwed, however, for being hit from behind at that speed, it held up incredibly well.

Now I just gotta get some money out of his insurance carrier, Gieco. I think that I am going to take the max in to the dealership and just tell them how much I care and hope that they do a really good job. The stillen body kit just tacks on to the bottom of the existing bumper right? I wish it was the entire bumper, then I would just get a kit now that I need a new front and rear bumper anyway.

Well, thanks for listening to my woes. I was so excited to have a new car of my own. One that I could treat like a princess from the start, now she has been violated and scared by the sharp metal of the jealous.
peace,
Old 01-11-2001, 06:32 AM

Glad to hear that everyone was ok, but you should have the the frame work

checked, there may not be anything visible, but there still could be somethings you wanna check out.
Old 01-11-2001, 06:50 AM
Got Bent?

Glad that no one got hurt. Since insurance will cover things, get everything checked out and make sure it is in top condition. Sorry to hear about it though
Old 01-11-2001, 07:33 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Great to hear that everyone was ok. Get your car checked out for structural damage and what not.
Old 01-11-2001, 10:47 AM

I would look into a highly qualified body shop, as opposed to the dealer. Most dealers farm out their body work anyway. good bodyshops have the lastest frame equipment. From the sounds of it, something under the car may have been bent. Even and inch of frame damage can ruin you car forever. Anyway, at least you walked away without a scratch.
Old 01-11-2001, 12:05 PM
MaxGirl

I'm happy to hear that your car held up so well... I just got my '01 Max about 3 weeks ago also. Before this, I had an Accord that got rear ended by a Geico driver in October. If I were you, I would get your car fixed by your insurance company and then wait for them to reimburse you; Good luck, Geico is extremely difficult to deal with. I had to get the state insurance board involved before they would even look at my claim; and I was the front car in the accident!

Old 01-11-2001, 12:32 PM

attention Maxgirl:

Are you suggesting that I have my insurance company pay for my car to get fixed, then have them pass the bill on to Geico? If I do it that way do you think that my insurance would go up? I figured that since the accident was not my fault, I would not want my insurance company to know about it at all. Truth be told, I would much rather work with my insurance carrier than Geico any day. I don't care how much it costs, I just want it to be as good as new again. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-11-2001, 01:12 PM
MaxGirl

If the accident was not your fault, and seeing as how the officer gave the 3rd driver the ticket, I cannot see your insurance going up. That's the exact same situation I was in. Either way, your insurance company should be aware of the accident even if you don't have them cover it. If you would rather deal with your insurance company, I say go for it. Based off of my experience w/Geico, it will save you A LOT of aggrivation if you just don't deal with them. First they told me that they would pay my claim, then AFTER I took my car to be fixed, the guy at Honda called me and said that I needed to come get my car because they denied the claim. My damages were only about $1,000.00 and they absolutely refused to pay, even though their driver rear ended me and totaled her Mustang.

Old 01-11-2001, 03:57 PM

since you want a body kit...the stillen one just tacks on so you can't get that but the new kamakazee kit from spoilersetc replaces the entire back and front bumpers...its 695 unpainted for the kit...if that was out when i got hit i would have gotten it