5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 10:43 AM

Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

I've searched but have not found the answers I was looking for. Can anyone help me with these:

1) What is the stock exhaust made out of? (Aluminized or Stainless Steel)
2) Even though the Warpspeed pipe comes in SS, they say that it will discolor due to the heat. Is it worth it so you don’t have to worry about rust?
3) Have the fitment issues been resolved? Some say yes, others say no?
4) Does anyone have sound clips on what the resonated and non-resonated B-pipes from Warpspeed sound like on a stock muffler? They told me that a non-resonated isn’t too loud on a stock muffler but a MUST on an aftermarket muffler.
5) I’ve heard people throwing around numbers like 20 HP with this combo, what gains (or losses in one thread) are people really getting?
6) Is Cattman really better for the B-pipe?

Thanks much, once I found out that I can still pass emissions on my 2k3 (because pre-cats aren’t removed) and it’s a bolt on mod I’m really interested in getting them!
Old 03-02-2003, 11:22 AM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

Originally posted by spta97
I've searched but have not found the answers I was looking for. Can anyone help me with these:

1) What is the stock exhaust made out of? (Aluminized or Stainless Steel)
2) Even though the Warpspeed pipe comes in SS, they say that it will discolor due to the heat. Is it worth it so you don’t have to worry about rust?
3) Have the fitment issues been resolved? Some say yes, others say no?
4) Does anyone have sound clips on what the resonated and non-resonated B-pipes from Warpspeed sound like on a stock muffler? They told me that a non-resonated isn’t too loud on a stock muffler but a MUST on an aftermarket muffler.
5) I’ve heard people throwing around numbers like 20 HP with this combo, what gains (or losses in one thread) are people really getting?
6) Is Cattman really better for the B-pipe?
1-
2- You live where it rains or snows? if yes get the SS one( discoloring doesnt mean anything unless you like to look under your car everyday?)
3-Flex section Yes, but some complain about a clunking noise...
4- stock bpipe or aftermarket bpipe with stock muffler with or without a resonator will sound the same.
5- thats rice boy hp numbers
6- they all do the same, depends what material you want
Old 03-02-2003, 12:58 PM

Re: Re: Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

Originally posted by ToYLeT902

1-
2- You live where it rains or snows? if yes get the SS one( discoloring doesnt mean anything unless you like to look under your car everyday?)
3-Flex section Yes, but some complain about a clunking noise...
4- stock bpipe or aftermarket bpipe with stock muffler with or without a resonator will sound the same.
5- thats rice boy hp numbers
6- they all do the same, depends what material you want
Thanks...looks like I should get the SS ones. I'm curious what the stock ones are though...is SS better?
Old 03-02-2003, 04:02 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Re: Re: Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

Thanks...looks like I should get the SS ones. I'm curious what the stock ones are though...is SS better?
SS wont rust as fast as the aluminized ones
Old 03-02-2003, 04:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

SS wont rust as fast as the aluminized ones
I looked under the car today after I washed it. It looks like the stock pipes are discoloring which is leading me to beleive that they may be stainless steal. Living in NY, I think that would be my best bet but now it bumps up this mod to over $600...that makes me wonder if it is worth it.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:56 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

I looked under the car today after I washed it. It looks like the stock pipes are discoloring which is leading me to beleive that they may be stainless steal. Living in NY, I think that would be my best bet but now it bumps up this mod to over $600...that makes me wonder if it is worth it.
im in NY too

BTW dun feel so bad, just make sure your getting what you want the first time around at a good price.

I had 5 different CATBACKS on my car ever since i had it. Talk about a waste of money huh?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

im in NY too

BTW dun feel so bad, just make sure your getting what you want the first time around at a good price.

I had 5 different CATBACKS on my car ever since i had it. Talk about a waste of money huh?
Why did you change exhausts so many times?
Which one did you end up with?
Are you happy with your latest exhaust?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:12 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

Originally posted by Quidproquo

Why did you change exhausts so many times?
Which one did you end up with?
Are you happy with your latest exhaust?
Different size piping with different mufflers etc plus fitment issues since it was all custom work.

Ended up with 2.25" custom bpipe and i forgot the name of the muffler i have, but everyone says they never heard a maxima sound like that b4
Old 03-02-2003, 06:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-pipe & B-Pipe questions

im in NY too

Oh man! Yea, if I get it I'm only doing it once. If it doesn't work out it goes on e-bay and the stock goes back on!