5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002: 3rd gear notchiness

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 10:06 AM

2002: 3rd gear notchiness

Maxes: I've done a search on the notchiness problems some of us are having shifting from 2nd-3rd gear. (Mine is a '02). I've also searched in the TSB section, but found nothing. For me, above 4000 rpms, 3rd will not engage until I wait and let off the gas for a second or so (unless I really force it in - I hate doing that). (I know someone who wrote about the same problem). My question is I have viewed our problems, but has anyone taken this issue up with the dealer? Any success? I plan on making an appointment, but wanted to get a heads up of what I might expect. There's no reason why the shifting should be so. I've got 5,000 miles on my Max. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got same problem. Told the dealer, they took it for a test drive and told me they would have to have the car for a week while they open the tranny and stuff, they said it's probably the synchro ring or something like that.

But since they don't have loaners because Nissan doesn't aid them to or something, and they don't seem willing to pay for a rental, I will continue to bang the third gear in.Mine is exactly the same way, the way I figure it, they don't wanna spend some money on a rental and to fix the tranny, I will keep banging the gears in until the tranny goes and then the dealer pays for the towing, and for the new tranny.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think every 6 speed has this problem to one degree or another. The problem for me is that I can drive for 2-3 days and everything is fine, then suddenly it's back. I have taken it to the dealer twice and gotten the now famous rendition of 'wasn't able to duplicate problem'. At least I have it on record, so that after the warranty if it becomes a reliability issue I have reported it.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Banned

Re: 2002: 3rd gear notchiness

Originally posted by shysmax
For me, above 4000 rpms, 3rd will not engage until I wait and let off the gas for a second or so (unless I really force it in - I hate doing that).
Just out of curiousity, you said you have to let off the gas for a second or two, so are you saying that you usually stay on the gas while shifting? If so, you're powershifting, and that's a big no no.

As far as notchiness, mine is ok. I sometimes get notchiness in the 2-3 shift, and also 1-2. It's more prevalent when it's really cold out, and the car isn't fully warmed up yet. As it warms up, and the tranny fluid gets warmer, the notchiness disappears for the most part.

I sometimes have problems getting into 1st as in the stick doesn't go fully into the gate, and I have to double-clutch it to get it in there (this is trying to get into 1st from neutral while at a standstill). However, I've heard that this happens on all manuals, so nothing to worry about there.

But yes, the 02-03 Maximas are known for their notchy shifters.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:34 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

same problem here too
Old 03-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maximadave
same problem here too
ditto, though less often than when I first got the car.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:40 PM

Re: 2002: 3rd gear notchiness

Some of the reviews you'll read on the '02-'03 SE's will tell you that the 6spds suffer from notchiness. So, unfortunately, what you're experiencing is inherent to the car. I just got an '03 myself and I hate the shifter just for that reason. Luckily, B&M is known to come out with nice, crisp, short throw shifters for cars shortly after a model change. So, hopefully, we can look forward to them coming out with one for the '02-'03 Max's within a year or so (they already have one out for the '00-'01).
Old 03-04-2003, 01:02 AM

Re: Re: 2002: 3rd gear notchiness

Originally posted by YAMATOSOUL
Some of the reviews you'll read on the '02-'03 SE's will tell you that the 6spds suffer from notchiness. So, unfortunately, what you're experiencing is inherent to the car. I just got an '03 myself and I hate the shifter just for that reason. Luckily, B&M is known to come out with nice, crisp, short throw shifters for cars shortly after a model change. So, hopefully, we can look forward to them coming out with one for the '02-'03 Max's within a year or so (they already have one out for the '00-'01).

Change to redline Mt-90 and all will be better!
Old 03-04-2003, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2002: 3rd gear notchiness

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1

Change to redline Mt-90 and all will be better!
Really? I know of Redline tranny fluids being great, but did you notice that much difference?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:44 AM

Re: Re: 2002: 3rd gear notchiness

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vito1281
[B]

Just out of curiousity, you said you have to let off the gas for a second or two, so are you saying that you usually stay on the gas while shifting? If so, you're powershifting, and that's a big no no.

Vito1281: sorry, I was not clear. No I don't powershift, but I have to wait 1-2 seconds to allow the shifter to go into 3rd, before I can gas again. Basically, due to the notchiness (and sometimes utter refusal to go into 3rd after 4,000 which really sucks if dragging), I have to wait until the rpms drop and the car says "Oh, I C, he wants to go to 3rd, so let me allow the shifter to go into 3rd". Its really annoying...

I am glad to hear from one owner that their dealer would seriously look into it, and I am hoping for the same reponse, otherwise I have to give Nissan of North America a call, I am surprised nobody seems to be really really upset about this, I can't stand it! Precious tenths are being lost while waiting for 3rd gear to engage; or the alternative is to grind it in there, and I don't like doing that.

Thanks all for your responses, I shall keep you posted.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: 2002: 3rd gear notchiness

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shysmax
[B]
Originally posted by vito1281

Vito1281: sorry, I was not clear. No I don't powershift, but I have to wait 1-2 seconds to allow the shifter to go into 3rd, before I can gas again. Basically, due to the notchiness (and sometimes utter refusal to go into 3rd after 4,000 which really sucks if dragging), I have to wait until the rpms drop and the car says "Oh, I C, he wants to go to 3rd, so let me allow the shifter to go into 3rd". Its really annoying...

I am glad to hear from one owner that their dealer would seriously look into it, and I am hoping for the same reponse, otherwise I have to give Nissan of North America a call, I am surprised nobody seems to be really really upset about this, I can't stand it! Precious tenths are being lost while waiting for 3rd gear to engage; or the alternative is to grind it in there, and I don't like doing that.

Thanks all for your responses, I shall keep you posted.
Oh ok, I see what you're saying. I kind of assumed that's what you meant, but wanted to double-check.

Personally, I don't have a problem with 3rd not engaging during any rpms. The tranny/shifter is a little rough and acts up when the car is cold, but once things heat up, it becomes smoother (shifting is still not as fluid as I'd like, but not bad). I would guess that it's a bad 3rd gear synchro, and thus you have to wait for the rpms to drop to the right range, instead of having the synchro do it immediately for you.

So, I'd definitely get it checked out, and I'm pretty sure it's a busted 3rd gear synchro.

Good luck, and keep us updated!
Old 03-04-2003, 12:31 PM

Yeah..the Mt-90 is a pretty noticable difference over stock fluid. And we only need less than 3q so its definatly a cheap mod.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
Yeah..the Mt-90 is a pretty noticable difference over stock fluid. And we only need less than 3q so its definatly a cheap mod.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go Redline right away! If it's as effective as you say it is, that's the best advice I've gotten on this site so far.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:00 AM
vqman

class action suit!

notchiness MA!

last night I got tired of this Buick riding in my blind spot, and coming beside me, slowing to my blind spot...back and forth...ARGH, so I dropped it in 3rd...CRUNCH/GRIND...it went into 3rd, but it didn't sound pretty...when are we going to get a class action law-suit on the faulty 6 speed?

-vq

Old 03-08-2003, 03:47 PM

I would have took a rental max myself and have fun tearing it apart

Originally posted by GuZo
I got same problem. Told the dealer, they took it for a test drive and told me they would have to have the car for a week while they open the tranny and stuff, they said it's probably the synchro ring or something like that.

But since they don't have loaners because Nissan doesn't aid them to or something, and they don't seem willing to pay for a rental, I will continue to bang the third gear in.Mine is exactly the same way, the way I figure it, they don't wanna spend some money on a rental and to fix the tranny, I will keep banging the gears in until the tranny goes and then the dealer pays for the towing, and for the new tranny.