Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Check Engine Light On! (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/142757-check-engine-light.html)

Jacawarner 03-09-2003 02:24 PM

Check Engine Light On!

Hi All,

My 2000 SE's Check Engine light came on. No driveability problems, but made an appt with the NIssan dealer here in North NJ to get it fixed (under warranty-car only has 28k on it). I've seen too many posts about people getting the shaft at The Shift_. I want to avoid any problems when I take the car into get repaired this Tuesday, what can I look out for"

Thanks

Jan

Wasim521 03-09-2003 05:53 PM

Take the car to an Autozone, they scan the check engine lights for free with one of those OBD II scanners, it'll tell you why the light is on. That way, if Nissan tries to pull any BS with you about the light, you'll know.

zman187 03-09-2003 10:14 PM

chances are its nothing much....

02'maxed-out 03-09-2003 10:16 PM

I have the battery sit for a night disconnected... Negative terminal, I see what happenss... should take care of it...

jjsokul 03-10-2003 10:28 PM

ok

Originally posted by 02'maxed-out
I have the battery sit for a night disconnected... Negative terminal, I see what happenss... should take care of it...
it did work for me!!!
I disconected the battery for 10 minutes and put it back on, and problem solved.:D

02'maxed-out 03-10-2003 11:52 PM

You welcome...:cool:

MoCoMax 03-11-2003 04:56 AM

Re: Check Engine Light On!

Originally posted by Jacawarner
Hi All,

My 2000 SE's Check Engine light came on. No driveability problems, but made an appt with the NIssan dealer here in North NJ to get it fixed (under warranty-car only has 28k on it). I've seen too many posts about people getting the shaft at The Shift_. I want to avoid any problems when I take the car into get repaired this Tuesday, what can I look out for"

Thanks

Jan

Which dealer are you going to? I wound up at Hilltop in E Hanover, and the service manager there is a snake. He copped a huge attitude with me when I argued that my 2K with 32k miles was covered for brakes and coil under the TSB's. He went so far as to make me get him the TSB # on the coil before he'd warranty it.

If you're in the Parsippany area anytime before you go to the dealer, PM me. I've got a code-reader we can hook up, so you'll at least be armed with some info on the problem before you get to the dealer.

John

Jacawarner 03-11-2003 03:39 PM

Re: Re: Check Engine Light On!

Originally posted by MoCoMax

Which dealer are you going to? I wound up at Hilltop in E Hanover, and the service manager there is a snake. He copped a huge attitude with me when I argued that my 2K with 32k miles was covered for brakes and coil under the TSB's. He went so far as to make me get him the TSB # on the coil before he'd warranty it.

If you're in the Parsippany area anytime before you go to the dealer, PM me. I've got a code-reader we can hook up, so you'll at least be armed with some info on the problem before you get to the dealer.

John

Jacawarner 03-11-2003 03:48 PM

Thanks for the offer

Thanks for the offer John,

I live and work in West Caldwell off of Passaic Avenue. I actually dropped the car off and picked it up today at Nissan 46 in Wayne. There wasn't anything really wrong, no actual replacement of parts and they reprogrammed it. They said I'm about due for my 30k service and tried to talk me into spending $489 for the service which I of course turned down.

I actually want to buy a code reader, where did you get it? It's a good tool to have.

Jan

MoCoMax 03-11-2003 04:00 PM

Re: Thanks for the offer

Originally posted by Jacawarner
Thanks for the offer John,

I live and work in West Caldwell off of Passaic Avenue. I actually dropped the car off and picked it up today at Nissan 46 in Wayne. There wasn't anything really wrong, no actual replacement of parts and they reprogrammed it. They said I'm about due for my 30k service and tried to talk me into spending $489 for the service which I of course turned down.

I actually want to buy a code reader, where did you get it? It's a good tool to have.

Jan

I ordered the Equus 3100 reader on-line from a site called toolsource.com. I think I paid about $140 with the cables and a case. If you have a Palm device, I found a site that can sell you a cable for it that is supposed to work, too, though I don't think the Palm reader will re-set the codes like the 3100 will. If I find it, I'll send you the info.