5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

considering trading maxine for a bimmer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 08:34 PM
vqman

Originally posted by jjs

Uh, you would be surprised! Here in Houston, you see a whole lot of people with a whole lot of $$$ giving their snotty kids amazing things.
I've seen parents buy kids H2's around here, and Yukon Denali's, but that won't spoil the kid for life, it's not a drivers car, they can buy a less expensive car out of college, and have a better ride...when you buy them the M5, they are ruined for life...They will never be able to drive something like a...[gasp]Maxima[/gasp]...

has nothing to do with it being $70,000. I'm talking about giving the kid an icon. You can spend $70,000 and get him something that wont' ruin him...Land Rover Discovery maybe? going from that to a lesser car (Land Cruiser) wouldn't be a big deal. But for the poor kid to go from an M5 to another sedan...[exaggeration]it would make the kid suicidal. [/exaggeration] but really, either he'd have to get a really good job, or start a really good/profitable business, or live on mommy and daddy's money for the rest of his life! I wouldn't want to live off my parents cash.

oh, and ask any K.C. guys, the snots-nose soccer moms here in Johnson County Kansas are some of the worst in the midwest for buying their kids cars they don't need...

-vq

Old 03-21-2003, 08:40 PM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: considering trading maxine for a bimmer

Originally posted by REVHIGH

Like I said in a previous post ... they (BMWs) depreciate like rocks ...85K++ new, one year later for 45K.

Hmmmm ... 50% loss in a year ... some ultimate driving machine ..... sounds like an ultimate ripoff machine to me... and I owned one, so I'm not biased.
the 7 series depreciates like a rock...you are correct.

but the 3 series holds its value better than about anything. Look in the classifieds...really.

the 5 series isn't as good in the resale value department as the 3 series, but it is way above average...again, look in the classifieds.

The 7 series depreciates so fast because...well, I don't know, maybe because it's one of the most commonly sold 80,000+ vehicles sold in the U.S. Granted it's not sold as commonly as the 3 series, but the 3 series is in a price bracket that has a LOT more buyers, so it's rarer in it's class, while the 7 isn't very rare in it's class.

so if he's looking at a 3 series, resale value is strong. It's actually WAY better than the Maxima, or any of our Nissan's for that matter.

-vq

Old 03-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BMW= Brings me woman
BMW= Break my wallet..

Get the bimmer...but go all the way and get the 540 in a 6 speed...soooooooo much fun to drive...
but wait a year..i think they are redoing them for 2004.
I am not sure...but i would check that out if i where you
Old 03-21-2003, 10:31 PM

In this drivers opinion...BMW's and MB's are WAY over rated....The when similar size/price comparison, Japanese car (and I'm being biased) give you more BANG for the buck!!!...bigger interior and more options...I thought about getting the 330 coupe....compared prices and sizes, and I don't know WHAT compelled me to even think about getting...That God I didn't get it....Nissan now has G35 coupe!!!...and we all know how that goes...

Your only paying for the name...but to each his own...
Old 03-21-2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by BLKMAX005SPD
BMW= Brings me woman
BMW= Break my wallet..

but wait a year..i think they are redoing them for 2004.
they are
E60 5-Series
Old 03-22-2003, 07:12 AM

so true!

Originally posted by VQMAN

I've seen parents buy kids H2's around here, and Yukon Denali's, but that won't spoil the kid for life, it's not a drivers car, they can buy a less expensive car out of college, and have a better ride...when you buy them the M5, they are ruined for life...They will never be able to drive something like a...[gasp]Maxima[/gasp]...

has nothing to do with it being $70,000. I'm talking about giving the kid an icon. You can spend $70,000 and get him something that wont' ruin him...Land Rover Discovery maybe? going from that to a lesser car (Land Cruiser) wouldn't be a big deal. But for the poor kid to go from an M5 to another sedan...[exaggeration]it would make the kid suicidal. [/exaggeration] but really, either he'd have to get a really good job, or start a really good/profitable business, or live on mommy and daddy's money for the rest of his life! I wouldn't want to live off my parents cash.

oh, and ask any K.C. guys, the snots-nose soccer moms here in Johnson County Kansas are some of the worst in the midwest for buying their kids cars they don't need...

-vq
Old 03-22-2003, 08:19 AM
vqman

Originally posted by NizanDrivn
In this drivers opinion...BMW's and MB's are WAY over rated....The when similar size/price comparison, Japanese car (and I'm being biased) give you more BANG for the buck!!!...bigger interior and more options...I thought about getting the 330 coupe....compared prices and sizes, and I don't know WHAT compelled me to even think about getting...That God I didn't get it....Nissan now has G35 coupe!!!...and we all know how that goes...

Your only paying for the name...but to each his own...
have you driven an M3?

go to a lot, find a used 1997/98 M3 with a 5 speed...

take it into corners with all you can give it...

you'll then understand.

It's indescribable. Pure erotcia.

-vq

Old 03-22-2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by VQMAN

have you driven an M3?

go to a lot, find a used 1997/98 M3 with a 5 speed...

take it into corners with all you can give it...

you'll then understand.

It's indescribable. Pure erotcia.

-vq
i couldnt think of a better way to describe driving an m3!!! pure erotica - love it!

BTW - i wouldnt sell the car, you brought it brand new, depreciation is gonna kick you in the nuts, just stick with it for a few more years
Old 03-22-2003, 03:10 PM

Granted the driving the car is erotica...but whats more errortic (error) is the price....I just dropping that much for a car...even if it's BMW...not a big fan....
Old 03-23-2003, 06:33 AM

Mine was a 528i

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VQMAN
[B]

the 7 series depreciates like a rock...you are correct.

but the 3 series holds its value better than about anything. Look in the classifieds...really.

the 5 series isn't as good in the resale value department as the 3 series, but it is way above average...again, look in the classifieds.

The 7 series depreciates so fast because...well, I don't know, maybe because it's one of the most commonly sold 80,000+ vehicles sold in the U.S. Granted it's not sold as commonly as the 3 series, but the 3 series is in a price bracket that has a LOT more buyers, so it's rarer in it's class, while the 7 isn't very rare in it's class.

so if he's looking at a 3 series, resale value is strong. It's actually WAY better than the Maxima, or any of our Nissan's for that matter.

-You're right the 3 series holds its value, other BMW's don't. But they're ALL maintenance nightmares.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:20 AM
vqman

Originally posted by NizanDrivn
Granted the driving the car is erotica...but whats more errortic (error) is the price....I just dropping that much for a car...even if it's BMW...not a big fan....
if you have the money to spend on maintenence, and just want a really fun ride...it's worth every penny. I don't make enough money, so I bought the Maxima. (even though they cost the same per month on the loan) I knew the Bimmer would end up costing more in the long run.

-vq

Old 03-23-2003, 08:51 AM

Agreed ... but ...

We're really talking apples and oranges anymore. It is certainly not fair to compare a 23K Max to a 65K 540i.

That said, I've never been happier with a car than the Max. I looked at the TL-S and I think for 8K less the Max is just as good. I don't think the Acuras are as good anymore as the older ones. I have 185,000 miles on my Legend and not one major problem.

I don't miss the 528 at all.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:33 PM

Re: Just dumped a 528 for an 03 Max

Originally posted by REVHIGH
There are lots of things to say about this ...

1) BMW's are reliability nightmares after 40K, believe me I had one ... $5700 in warranty work between 40K and 70K. If you get a BMW, remember the BMW mantra that you'll see on the BMW boards "NEVER, BUT NEVER OWN A BMW OUT OF WARRANTY!!!!!" and I repeat ... there are absolutely NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule, even if you do your own car work, because you know what, you can't do your own car work on a modern BMW. Plan on spending 1500 - 2000 for a quality aftermarket 7 year 100K warranty if its not already CPO, which it should be.
Amen to this! My aunt owned a '92 325i and a '95 525i. Se was stranded 3-4 times in the 525i. Other problems including bad PCM. '92 325i stranded her I think once....horrible rotor warpage issues and other issues. Heard of this lady in NYC that drives the new M5 and was twice already stranded. BMW recalled the X5 I believe 10 times so far. Amazingly, a large percentage of BMW owners are very loyal and they think for examples American cars are unreliable. My friend with an '01 C5 6-spd. coupe had only one problem for the past 1.5 years - dead battery mainly due to his habit of driving it only on weekends with a full week of discharge/sitting. Somehow reliability reports miss this contrast between most BMWs and American cars.

Fortunately, reliability reports are on the money with Maximas. I can't recall any other car that finished at or top 3 in Consumer's Reports as frequently as the Maxima plus Maxima won the 5 year J.D. Power dependability survey more than a few times and I think more than any other car. This on a car who I gather is owned by people who tend to be a little harder driving on their cars than owners of Accords, Camrys, Taurus, and Passats.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:49 PM

fellas, while the car may be fun to drive, is it really worth the tag...I mean really...BMW toughts them as driving machines, and that is exactly what they are...try gooding to the supermarket and fitting groceries in those trunks...go to home depot and buy just about anything and then try cramming it into an x5...

NO THANKS, i'll take my max all around, sell it back to nissan in two to three, where i'll be able to get at least 1/3 what I paid, and get the newer max....

Have we looked at Japanese cars lately...they are HUUUUGGGGEEEEE on the inside!!!....nuf said....