5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

gs400 or 03 maxima????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 12:03 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gs400 or 03 maxima????

Originally posted by spta97

"What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?"
"With the BMW, the ****** are on the inside!"
Funny, the version I heard was about Corvettes.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gs400 or 03 maxima????

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spta97

Actually, the HIDs were a big reason that I went with the Maxima. Funny thing is now I kinda wish I didn't have them with all the thefts!

However, after joining the .Org I realized that you can put HIDs on any car so it isn't really a factor for me anymore. I'm glad the thread starter is going with the car that he wants, but personally I wanted to get a new car for one reason...WARENTEE!!! I don't like owning a car that isn't covered by the dealer.

After surfing the BMW boards, they look at Japanese cars as "ricers". Not only Civics, but ALL of them (Infiniti and Lexus as well). I'm surprised that a BMW owner would actually not drive one again. If you look on their boards the BMW is the best car ever made…period. If you don't agree, you are not a "driving enthusiast" or you are too poor. The thing about the latter is it seems that most of these people had their cars handed to them by mommy and daddy. I am considering the M3 in a few years, but reading that board makes me think the old joke is true:

[/QUOTE

I thought that I would clarify a few things to spta97. Read carefully since you have missed the bus somewhere down the line!!

NO.1 Notice the price range of cars that I'm speaking of all below 30,000 or right at!
No.2 Notice that I have a 96 740il, its a battleship, over 4000lbs. Its a dog!
No.3 I never said anything about not owning another BMW!
No.4 BMW is not the best car ever made, look at their quality reports and my repair bills!! The car is no good if its always in the shop!!!
No.5 I don't care if they think its rice! I will be driving mine while their car is in the shop.
No.6 Yes Iam a driving enthusiast and no Iam not too poor. Why waste money?? Read about the e39 and e38's problems and then respond to my post!! I could be spending that money in mods or investing!!
Old 03-27-2003, 12:57 PM
vqman

I liked No. 6

[QUOTE]Originally posted by red90se
[B]
No.6 Yes Iam a driving enthusiast and no Iam not too poor. Why waste money??
most don't get to the point where they are "not poor" by wasting money...

good decision.

-vq

Old 03-27-2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
G35 6spd Sedan
I'd only consider this as an alternative ONLY if Nissan puts the 280hp VQ in the sedan.

Back to the GS400: To this day, I can't think of any Japanese Sports Sedan that tops the GS400 (or GS430) in terms of the performance/luxury balance. Again though, if Infiniti drops the 280hp VQ into the G35S, it woul come really close to being the type of car that the GS400 is; with a 6sp to boot. (Heck!! The G35 Sedan already has a similar profile to the GS.)

Peace.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:42 PM

03 max.... if a GS430 yes, but GS400 no....
Old 03-27-2003, 04:47 PM

We just had 2 threads of previous/current Maxima owners that got a GS 400 http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...threadid=77690

We really have quite a few. It seems they decided the GS 400 is the next logical step up. BTW, there are performance parts GALORE for the car (as much as the Maxima). I agree the stock suspension needs some help if your willing to give up some luxury. I upgraded mine and the car feels like a night and day difference. I got 2 Navy buds (in town this week) and they both said their next car is the GS 400.

The cars are pretty much bulletproof and only a few haggles from time to time.
03 max.... if a GS430 yes, but GS400 no
Explain? Concerning HIDs, well in 1998 they were an option and 99+ they are standard on the GS 400. Heck if they don't have em just upgrade, I got 5000ks in mine.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:14 PM

Re: gs400 or 03 maxima????

Originally posted by red90se
Whats up guys? I'm seeking the opinion from my fellow org members. I'm in the market for a new car, and I have narrowed it down to a 98 and 99 gs400 and a 6 speed 03 Maxima. What do you guys think will be the best choice? Also, if I were to get the lex over the max would the 6 speed be able to toast me in the 1/4 and a flat out 2 mile race. My opinion is that the GS will win, but I don't place my faith in magazine stats. I have tried to search for this but for some reason I can't get the search function work. Your opinions will greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!
I have a 03 Maxima SE AT, 02 TL Type-S and 99 GS400. The GS400 is the fastest, has the best leather, real wood and built quality. The GS400 has a softest ride, great if you do a lot of highway driving.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:17 PM

Get the GS and boost it
Old 03-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

GS400 without a doubt!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 09:39 PM

The GS400 is much more of a car!

WOW! SC kit!
Old 03-28-2003, 08:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SC kits were discontinued I think for the GS cars and from what I hear they really didn't help your times much in the 1/4 mile for what you paid. Can't get much power out of these motors unfortunately but there is plenty there to start with. For power I'd do the following:
Intake
S-AFC II
Downpipe and test pipe
Exhaust
Dyno tune

That should net you some good power increase and be very reliable. Just remember, you need to tune it on the dyno as the increase in flow from even just an intake has been known to make the car run lean. Enjoy it!
Old 03-28-2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Guru
SC kits were discontinued I think for the GS cars

Look here just installed

You are right SRT stopped the SC cars.

They now produce a twin turbo application.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gs400 or 03 maxima????

[QUOTE]Originally posted by red90se

Actually, the HIDs were a big reason that I went with the Maxima. Funny thing is now I kinda wish I didn't have them with all the thefts!

However, after joining the .Org I realized that you can put HIDs on any car so it isn't really a factor for me anymore. I'm glad the thread starter is going with the car that he wants, but personally I wanted to get a new car for one reason...WARENTEE!!! I don't like owning a car that isn't covered by the dealer.

After surfing the BMW boards, they look at Japanese cars as "ricers". Not only Civics, but ALL of them (Infiniti and Lexus as well). I'm surprised that a BMW owner would actually not drive one again. If you look on their boards the BMW is the best car ever made…period. If you don't agree, you are not a "driving enthusiast" or you are too poor. The thing about the latter is it seems that most of these people had their cars handed to them by mommy and daddy. I am considering the M3 in a few years, but reading that board makes me think the old joke is true:

[/QUOTE

I thought that I would clarify a few things to spta97. Read carefully since you have missed the bus somewhere down the line!!

NO.1 Notice the price range of cars that I'm speaking of all below 30,000 or right at!
No.2 Notice that I have a 96 740il, its a battleship, over 4000lbs. Its a dog!
No.3 I never said anything about not owning another BMW!
No.4 BMW is not the best car ever made, look at their quality reports and my repair bills!! The car is no good if its always in the shop!!!
No.5 I don't care if they think its rice! I will be driving mine while their car is in the shop.
No.6 Yes Iam a driving enthusiast and no Iam not too poor. Why waste money?? Read about the e39 and e38's problems and then respond to my post!! I could be spending that money in mods or investing!!
Chill out a-hole. If you read my post, I ws just pointing out what is said ON THE BMW BOARDS. I didn't say I agree with it at all (hence my "******" joke at the end of the post). If I thought that Japanese cars were "rice" why the f*** would I drive a Maxima????

Read my post again and RELAX.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maximam

Look here just installed

You are right SRT stopped the SC cars.

They now produce a twin turbo application.
Yeah but the twin turbo kits will cost more than the car and they still have a LOT of problems with the one off twin turbo project they did. Personally I don't trust that company at ALL and will never buy anything from them.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Guru

Yeah but the twin turbo kits will cost more than the car and they still have a LOT of problems with the one off twin turbo project they did. Personally I don't trust that company at ALL and will never buy anything from them.
Well I recommended and installed their intakes on both a IS300 and a GS400 and thought it was the best quality intake I have ever seen. I would expect the same from their turbo kits.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Maximam

Well I recommended and installed their intakes on both a IS300 and a GS400 and thought it was the best quality intake I have ever seen. I would expect the same from their turbo kits.
The GS carries so much more style and class, (IMHO) than the maxima... but i agree w/ whomever implied that the 6MT is much more of an enthusiasts car... you really must enjoy the drive and the appreciation for total control over your driving experience to purchase the 6MT maxima...

I've seen GS4's run low 14's in the 1/4 .. no higher than 14.4 ... RWD may be an issue if you're in the midwest (didn't catch where you're from). RWD is an awesome feature in the summer...

4 year old max will have a 7yr/100K warranty extension depending on its certification .. Lexus is very very awesome as far as their service is concerned (owned a '94 ES300 .. had MUCH appreciation for my service dept.) .. Nissan is sketchy as far as service is concerned .. IMHO

I'm curious... why not a 540i 6-spd used?? A friend's boss just purchased a '99 w/ about 35K miles .. LOVES IT!! Crazy torque.. (330lb+)... close ratio 6-spd w/ BMW performance... 17's .. gotta love it..