5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CD changer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:59 AM
BigCat44

CD changer question

I posted this in the Audio forum with no results. I want to add a cd changer to my Stock non Bose system. Can I use any cd changer? How easy is the install?

Old 03-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You have 2 options my friend. 1. You can purchase the one that was specifically made to connect to the factory stereo (purchase thru Nissan or find out who makes it and the specific model number). This hooks up directly to the stereo and can be controlled by the factory stereo and provides true CD quality sound. Option 2. You can purchase what is called an "RF" changer (RF standing for Radio Frequency). Every car stereo company makes them (sony, kenwood, alpine, etc...) Basically the difference is that it does not hook directly up to the stereo. Instead, it sends a signal over the FM airwaves and all you do is tune in your stereo to whatever the specific station is that picks up the signal (it's usually 88.7 FM or some un-used station like that). Because you are listening thru an FM station, it loses the "true CD quality". But because it is broadcasting from your car, it is the best FM signal you could possibly get. The other thing you must deal with is a seperate controler for the CD changer. Because it can't directly be plugged into the back of your factory stereo, you obviously can't control it from there, so it comes with a seperate controler that you can mount on your dashboard or somewhere else.

My advice is to go to any car stereo retailer a.k.a. circuit city or whatever, and they will demo them for you so that you can hear it for yourself and then make a decision.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:18 PM
BigCat44

Thanks for the help, you explained quite a bit

Old 04-01-2003, 12:05 PM

I went with a RF option

I got a Sony CD/MP3 changer in my trunk with a built in FM modulator. The installation for it was more complicated because you have to run several wires from your stock HU to the changer. The power wire, the ground wire, remote-turn on wire, the control wire for the display, and the antenna wire. For the Nissan HU, you have to two antenna adatpers, one to change from Nissan antenna to universal, then that hook to your FM modulator. Come out of the FM modulator, you need another adaptor to change it back to Nissan before it goes into the head unit. I bought my changer at Crutchfield so they threw in the antenna adapters for free.

The display is mounted just below the heat/AC control via a two-sided tape. My unit also comes with a remote control for the changer.

I went with the aftermarket changer mainly for the MP3 feature. The sound quality of the changer is not CD quality but it's close. And since I am playing MP3 files anyway, the quality of the song over a FM frequency is similar to a MP3 song playing through a direct connection.

Hope this help.