5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k3 HID headlamp removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 05:02 AM
NT2SHBBY

2k3 HID headlamp removal

ok so I bought these Polarg 194 bulbs that I want to put in my clearance lights, I open up the hood and notice that the headlights are not held in by regular bolts, but brass pieces that look like wheel locks, you know, with that fancy star shaped design that looks like it would need a special key to open....

anyone else's 2k2-2k3 HID lights have these holding them in and what would I use to take them off? I was wondering if this car had its lights stolen at the dealership and they were replaced, but this time they put in an anti-theft device????

I'll try to post pix later of the bolts....

Old 04-01-2003, 05:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 2k3 HID headlamp removal

Bro..

Where did you get your car? I got mines at World of Nissan in Springfield, NJ, and my lights were previously stolen.

Check out the following thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ngfield+nissan

There I tell you what to look for (yellow wires, over spray, etc). If you got it from another dealer, call the local police dept and see if that dealer ever reported any HID thefts. My dealer reported over 40 of them that supposedly happened in one night, but unfortunately, my VIN wasn't on the list. I'm still fighting this matter.

Sux to be me.. but.. if you are on the same boat as me and can get a police report that has your VIN on it, NNA will probably do something for you. They won't for me yet because the dirty dealer I went to "couldn't see what I was talking about" when I showed him the obvious signs of a previous HID theft.

Let me know what you find (don't forget to read the other thread).

Later,
Nick
Old 04-01-2003, 05:30 AM
NT2SHBBY

car came from Major Nissan of Garden City in Long Island, NY.

no overspray....car looks brand spankin new....even had plastic covering entire car when I saw it on the lot. I am just wonderign about these strange bolts....

Headlight wires look all taped up with that wire loom stuff from the factory

Old 04-01-2003, 05:34 AM

Seems like you're ok to me..

Maybe your dealer tossed in the security bolts as a type of "value added" feature of your purchase..

Give em a call and see if that's the case..

Later,
Nick
Old 04-01-2003, 05:43 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by massvmax2003
Seems like you're ok to me..

Maybe your dealer tossed in the security bolts as a type of "value added" feature of your purchase..

Give em a call and see if that's the case..

Later,
Nick
actually with both my 02 altima and 03 maxima, both times he hooked up the wheel locks last minute no charge.

I am just wondering how I'm gonna get these bolts off....can't use a regular 10mm socket... the bolt is perfectly round!!

Old 04-01-2003, 06:15 AM
NT2SHBBY

ok guys...called up Major Nissan and found out that, they are indeed anti-theft bolts put on at the dealership so the lights can't be stolen.

They put them on all their maximas as soon as the car reaches the dealership and they don't sell the keys but they can put in regular bolts if I so choose.

I kinda actually like the idea, guess I'm going to have to figure out how to stick my hands in there to change these clearance lights.

seeing as how they were no charge and can only help me, I'm gonna chaulk one up for this dealership!

Old 04-01-2003, 06:33 AM

Only problem is, those bolts do absolutely nothing when someone steals the lights by prying them out from behind (like they did to mine).

The plastic brackets that they bolt into just snap.

Oh well..

Later,
Nick
Old 04-01-2003, 06:37 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by massvmax2003
Only problem is, those bolts do absolutely nothing when someone steals the lights by prying them out from behind (like they did to mine).

The plastic brackets that they bolt into just snap.

Oh well..

Later,
Nick
no matter what bro, bottom line is: they want em bad enough, they gonna take em.

I replaced the grill with a trenz grill so they can't cut the grill to pop the hood, I got these anti-theft bolts...so I did all I could.

the car is garaged at night, the car is within my shop's sight during the day. I don't drive around Queens, just Nassau where the problem doesn't seem significant....I do what I can with what I have.

If they steal em, I'm not paying for replacements. THe car's getting AE lights and I'll retrofit with an HID kit when I get around if need be...*** THESE CRIMINALS...