5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My baby's in the shop and I'm taking bets

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 08:36 AM

I've got her in for four things, how many do you think they'll fix?

1. Trunk TSB (they have the clips and they are doing it so its a given)
2. Fan motor clicking TSB (they are aware of this issue so it should be a given too)
3. TCM TSB (I've had it in before and they "ran diagnostics on the ECU" and couldn't find a problem so who knows)
4. Cold idle drop TSB (I'm expecting a "this is normal" response so I mentioned the TSB)
Old 01-17-2001, 08:38 AM

Hey Jon,
Do you have links to these TSB?
I only heard the one about the trunk and the TCM.
Thanx
Old 01-17-2001, 08:43 AM

I don't have links.. I just saw them on the NHTSA site. I heard about the cold idle <a HREf="https://maxima.org/forums/showthread.phtml?threadid=18804">on this thread</a>.
Old 01-17-2001, 08:53 AM
Got Bent?

2 out of 4....hopefully 3, or all four.....

just being pessimistic I guess
Old 01-17-2001, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
2 out of 4....hopefully 3, or all four.....

just being pessimistic I guess
Heh, well after a nasty incident with torque steer and the 1st-2nd slippage while getting onto the highway, I'm sick of it. I am going to make them give me a new TCM if I have to drive my car up their ***** first!
Old 01-17-2001, 09:16 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

ummm, not to be a party-pooper here..

but the TCM will only fix the delay.. if you have slippage, it's over. They slow played me on my TCM (@12K, asked for it @5K). And now that I have it, it really slips. It changes gears without the delay, but the slippage sucks.

So, my point here is that there is that second part to the TSB, about if slippage still exists. I didnt press the issue, or have them check that (even tho they are supposed to, I think they just made sure the delay was gone). My personal theory is that the new TCM on a tranny with 10K+ miles on it will just hurt it more.

Old 01-17-2001, 09:20 AM

Re: ummm, not to be a party-pooper here..

Originally posted by TimW
but the TCM will only fix the delay.. if you have slippage, it's over. They slow played me on my TCM (@12K, asked for it @5K). And now that I have it, it really slips. It changes gears without the delay, but the slippage sucks.

So, my point here is that there is that second part to the TSB, about if slippage still exists. I didnt press the issue, or have them check that (even tho they are supposed to, I think they just made sure the delay was gone). My personal theory is that the new TCM on a tranny with 10K+ miles on it will just hurt it more.

Doh... well if it's still bad after the TCM, I WILL force the issue of getting a new tranny. Who knows how that'll go but I believe it is becoming a safety issue.
Old 01-17-2001, 09:24 AM

not to worry you tho...

alot of people caught it in time, and you may be one of them.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by punkdork

2. Fan motor clicking TSB (they are aware of this issue so it should be a given too)
3. TCM TSB (I've had it in before and they "ran diagnostics on the ECU" and couldn't find a problem so who knows)
4. Cold idle drop TSB (I'm expecting a "this is normal" response so I mentioned the TSB)

Are they supposed to replace the fan motor? If so, I wouldn't expect it to be in stock. I've been told it's on national backorder.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by ScottMax

Are they supposed to replace the fan motor? If so, I wouldn't expect it to be in stock. I've been told it's on national backorder.
They mentioned something about a cover for the motor of the fan. It would be soooo par for course if they needed to order a new fan too.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:17 AM

They mentioned something about a cover for the motor of the fan. It would be soooo par for course if they needed to order a new fan too.

I tried two dealerships- one mentioned that a more properly sealed cover would mask the noise, and another suggested swapping the fan motor. I decided to go with the motor swap. It just seemed like a more complete fix. Let us know if the cover deal works- I'm sure my motor won't be in by then.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:26 AM

How weird... one of my replies got parsed into yours.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:40 AM

Re: ummm, not to be a party-pooper here..

Originally posted by TimW

Tim, what do you think about a tranny with 19k that isn't exhibiting any problems?

My build date is 4/99, so I'm sure I have the old TCM. I was going to request the new TCM as a preventative measure, but after hearing the problems you had after upgrading, I'm hesitant to make something that seems to be working fine worse.

Old 01-17-2001, 12:06 PM

Ticking from the fan

is this a loud noise that you hear from inside the car? Or is it when you are outside the car you hear the ticking? I swear when my defrost is on I hear the ticking from outside the car but once inside all I hear is air......the car that is
Old 01-17-2001, 12:18 PM

Re: Ticking from the fan

Originally posted by jnm2kse
is this a loud noise that you hear from inside the car? Or is it when you are outside the car you hear the ticking? I swear when my defrost is on I hear the ticking from outside the car but once inside all I hear is air......the car that is
I don't hear the ticking when its on defrost.. when its in the normal mode (like for A/C) is when I hear it. Hadn't noticed it since I normally have the radio up loud.
Old 01-17-2001, 12:31 PM

Re: Re: Ticking from the fan

Originally posted by jnm2kse
I don't hear the ticking when its on defrost.. when its in the normal mode (like for A/C) is when I hear it. Hadn't noticed it since I normally have the radio up loud.

I haven't heard any defrost noises either.

Anatomy of an A/C squeal: My ticking comes from the A/C fan and it is quite often accompanied by a chirp; a chirp for every tick; the many chirping ticks make a squeal!

Making the engine growl will also mask the ticking/chirping/swealing. But the down side of that is that people look at you funny when you're in bumper to bumber traffic...
Old 01-17-2001, 01:17 PM

Update...

<B>MY TRANNY IS TOAST!</B> They said they checked the pan under the transmission and found metal shavings etc. so they're going to be replacing it. I wonder if they'll do the TCM too. I wonder if they had replaced the TCM in the first place months ago if this wouldn't have happened. Oh well. I'll be off to get a rental car soon.
Old 01-17-2001, 02:09 PM

How old is your car?

And how many miles?

Man that sucks......you are taking this a lot better than I would be....I'd have a post up here advocating the bum's rush on Nissan NA

Hope everything is fixed correctly...I hope my Max lasts another 6 months before we part ways...I had the TCM replaced at about...ummm I dunno..1500 miles?

Best of luck, hope it all turns out ok..and if they don't put the new TCM in there....well...I'd be a little more than disturbed
Old 01-17-2001, 02:28 PM

I've got 13k on it. I've been trying since 3k to get the new TCM. Well... its all under warranty and they aren't fighting me at all so I'm not upset. If they start jackin me around I'll be ready to throw down. Yeah, they better put in the new TCM too, I'll take care of that when I go there and pick her up today.

So the official tally is 2 for 4 today. They said they couldn't repro the fan noise... I'll do it for them. Also they didn't even bother with the cold idle drop after dealing with the tranny. So that will be on monday or so when the new tranny is in.

And so ends another glorious day in the nissan garage. I can't wait to see how the bumper looks.
Old 01-17-2001, 07:05 PM

This is really disappointing. I think I may be right behind you. Russ said his started slipping when it was cold. That was the first sign of the problem. Mine is doing that consistently now. I probably have metal shavings in my pan too. I've had my rotors replaced, new TCM, and the bumper fixed. Sigh. It's obvious that the tranny cannot handle the additional 32 HP. I bet Nissan comes up with a tougher transmission for the 3.5 VQ. I wonder if I can afford that TL Type S Sedan.

I've got 13k on it. I've been trying since 3k to get the new TCM. Well... its all under warranty and they aren't fighting me at all so I'm not upset. If they start jackin me around I'll be ready to throw down. Yeah, they better put in the new TCM too, I'll take care of that when I go there and pick her up today.

So the official tally is 2 for 4 today. They said they couldn't repro the fan noise... I'll do it for them. Also they didn't even bother with the cold idle drop after dealing with the tranny. So that will be on monday or so when the new tranny is in.

And so ends another glorious day in the nissan garage. I can't wait to see how the bumper looks.
Old 01-17-2001, 07:26 PM

awww, man... bummer...

I guess we are in the same boat. I better get my @ss over to the dealer while there are new ones to be had (not national back order or *gasp* rebuilt). I cant see their logic. I've babied this car and its still dumped the tranny. I know it would have been fine if they had just given me the TCM right off the bad.