5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: How many of like the design of the TL?
Like it
48.78%
Dont like it
24.39%
Dont care
26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Maximas New Competition

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 07:27 AM

Maximas New Competition

Hey guys, i know a lot of you do not like the styling of the new 2004 maxima and also some of you feel bad towards some of the maximas competiton. But that is not the case, This thread is to show you some new shots of the 2004 Acura TL that will be coming out. This pics were sent to me by my friend. Tell me what you think... BTW, the pic quality isnt the best, so bare with me... Enjoy.

Just click here:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=334279
Old 04-11-2003, 07:32 AM
jjs

Re: Maximas New Competition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oxidizer2k
Hey guys, i know a lot of you do not like the styling of the new 2004 maxima and also some of you feel bad towards some of the maximas competiton. But that is not the case, This thread is to show you some new shots of the 2004 Acura TL that will be coming out. This pics were sent to me by my friend. Tell me what you think... BTW, the pic quality isnt the best, so bare with me... Enjoy.

Just click here:

[/QUOTE

I think you should include another choice...

"Would vote if I could see a clearer picture"
Old 04-11-2003, 07:34 AM

Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jjs
Originally posted by Oxidizer2k

Just click here:

[/QUOTE

I think you should include another choice...

"Would vote if I could see a clearer picture"

For now before the official ones are released, this is the best anyone could do...
Old 04-11-2003, 07:36 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

For now before the official ones are released, this is the best anyone could do...
I know, and I didn't even know photos were out, but I can't really tell if I like it or not yet. Thanks for posting them.

Right now, for all I can tell it could be a Jetta/Passat on a blurry night.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

Originally posted by jjs

I know, and I didn't even know photos were out, but I can't really tell if I like it or not yet. Thanks for posting them.

Right now, for all I can tell it could be a Jetta/Passat on a blurry night.
Ha, yeah, it could be a very nice jetta.. ..

Im not sure, but i think someone probably illegaly got this pict during a preview where there wasnt supposed to be cameras... Although from what I hear, they are trying to get some more pics or just try to unblur these..

Also, those are 20inch rims, from that i hear, the official ones are going to be 18s.. and power is rumored to be anywhere from 285-300 HP..
Old 04-11-2003, 07:41 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

and power is rumored to be anywhere from 285-300 HP..
Hope they do something about their tranny's first.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:43 AM

As long as the new TL looks nothing like the Accord (with it's big ugly ****) it'll probably pretty nice. Honda's designs have always been too safe so it'll appeal to the masses.

I give kudos to Nissan for dramatically changing the Maxima - although I don't really like it.

Doesn't really matter to me about the TL anyway - it's not like I'll be ready to buy a new car anytime soon.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

Originally posted by jjs

What do you mean? I know that they are getting the 6 speed stick in them.... but what interests me most is how it will fair in the 0-60... and 1/4 mile, and how nissan plans to fight back..
Old 04-11-2003, 07:50 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

What do you mean? I know that they are getting the 6 speed stick in them.... but what interests me most is how it will fair in the 0-60... and 1/4 mile, and how nissan plans to fight back..
Their autos take a severe dump with alarming regularity.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:50 AM
jjs

Honda/Acura tranny's have been having 'issues' lately (autos).
Old 04-11-2003, 07:53 AM

the new TL looks alot like the japanese Accord. i dont like it.... but of course i didnt like the 6th gen when it came out till i test drove one
Old 04-11-2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by djPlayboy
the new TL looks alot like the japanese Accord. i dont like it.... but of course i didnt like the 6th gen when it came out till i test drove one
Weve had many honda in our family, and no matter what car i own, i will always be a honda fan.. i mean, camry isnt even a competition in the horsepower war... and honda just makes really good cars... people put so many miles and they keep on going.. my 87 accord lated better than a 95 ford.. and it also outlasted my friends 93 maxima... so even though quality for a lot of cars are geting better, honda has been high in the quality of their cars for years.. and i dont like the new accord either, but i guess some people buy it because they last so long... BTW i had a 2001 accord, and the tranny was fishy.. but they stand by their cars and extended my warrantee to 100K miles for the tranny on that car....

The weird thing about the new maxima is that it has been getting slower times compared to our 5th gen, and with more HP that seems weird. Many people also say that it looks somewhat like a lincoln Towncar.. I sat in one and it seemed like it was smaller in the inside.. But the 5th gens look really sporty, the 6th gens dont look like anything, kinda reminds me of a turd. And when i saw the 2004 we quickly got the 2004. The new maxima for me is a huge dissapointment... the Gauges make me sick. and i wanna see how many of the 4 seater nissans they really sell. I rather by a ford Taurus. But thats my opion.

If this TL is really good, then this will be my next car.. Otherwise i was looking at the new 300HP WRX sti or the Evo...
Old 04-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jjs

If they put a 6sp in there, I'd consider it if I was in the market. The Max has a HUGE advantage right now over the TL because if you want a manual, TL ain't got it! On top of that, their autos are breaking like Fisher Price toys.

So if they keep the "enthusiast" in mind for the next gen TL, things could get VERY interesting.

I didn't vote cause I couldn't make much out in the pics except it looks like 20" chromes are on it, but Honda isn't known for its styling cues, so we'll see what happens.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Banned

Maybe looks like this: http://people.smu.edu/rlee****/03Accord.jpg
At least the wheels look similar.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:18 AM

Many people also say that it looks somewhat like a lincoln Towncar
I think it looks exactly like the Saturn Ion.....with the Alti's interior...

Although the commercials make it look very appealing....
Old 04-11-2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by vito1281
Maybe looks like this: http://people.smu.edu/rlee****/03Accord.jpg
At least the wheels look similar.

wasnt able to open this site...
Old 04-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jjs

Looks kinda like a big TSX through the blur. And yeah, I've been researching the TL and the people who have had crap tranny(s) have the strongest negative opinions I've ever read. I'd still buy a used Type-S for the right price though but you should see what people are trying to sell them for on ebay. Not worth all that.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Pointy Elbows

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

Ha, yeah, it could be a very nice jetta.. ..

Im not sure, but i think someone probably illegaly got this pict during a preview where there wasnt supposed to be cameras... Although from what I hear, they are trying to get some more pics or just try to unblur these..

Also, those are 20inch rims, from that i hear, the official ones are going to be 18s.. and power is rumored to be anywhere from 285-300 HP..

285-300 HP??? How is this, when the NSX has only like 290? I would make sense for the NSX or maybe the new RL to have that kind of HP, but not for the TL.
Just my opinion.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally posted by vito1281

If they put a 6sp in there, I'd consider it if I was in the market. The Max has a HUGE advantage right now over the TL because if you want a manual, TL ain't got it! On top of that, their autos are breaking like Fisher Price toys.

TL Type S = 6spd MANUAL

Old 04-11-2003, 08:29 PM
swallac2

Try this pic...

http://members.***.net/rjcarter/images/04tledit.jpg

Old 04-11-2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by 00MaxSE

285-300 HP??? How is this, when the NSX has only like 290? I would make sense for the NSX or maybe the new RL to have that kind of HP, but not for the TL.
Just my opinion.
you gotta realize that the nsx is old technolgy, it will get the new engine soon. The RL from what i hear will be AWD.. but who knows for sure, looks like the official picts will be out the 18th of this month.. i assume along with the specs.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by swallac2
Try this pic...

Now thats the best pic yet, thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:54 PM

I'm sorry, but the TL is gonna KILL the Maxima. It has better styling, and it has the Honda/Acura name behind it. The new RL is going to be awesome too - AWD, 300hp, And 260lb-ft. Not to mention that both the new Tl and Rl will have LED rear tail lights

ON a side note, Honda is killing the CL (coupe) due to low sales, so that's one less competitor.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Weve had many honda in our family, and no matter what car i own, i will always be a honda fan.. i mean, camry isnt even a competition in the horsepower war... and honda just makes really good cars... people put so many miles and they keep on going.. my 87 accord lated better than a 95 ford.. and it also outlasted my friends 93 maxima... so even though quality for a lot of cars are geting better, honda has been high in the quality of their cars for years.. and i dont like the new accord either, but i guess some people buy it because they last so long... BTW i had a 2001 accord, and the tranny was fishy.. but they stand by their cars and extended my warrantee to 100K miles for the tranny on that car....

Camry may not be a competition in horsepower but ones before the new ones look better than any Honda.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by MaxJag

Camry may not be a competition in horsepower but ones before the new ones look better than any Honda.
Yeah, for some reason, the back of the tsx looks like the 97 toyota camry...

i think maximas have been awsome from the 90s just up until the 2004 where they tried to make another hit using inspiration of the altima... I wonder how the quality of this 2004 maxima is seeing how a lot of people complain about quality.

i dont even know what happened the camry, i guess someone just pooped this one out.. It doesnt even seem like toyota gives us anything different from japan like nissan and honda.. all their engines are outdated, and they are coming into the game so late... with their 3.3 litre. And many people are hardcore fans to a certain brand, like for example, theyll like toyotas, or nissan, and hate on honda even though the company is bringing out the ugliest car. I just think a good car is a good car no matter what company it comes from..

camry is a good car and all, but theres no inspired styling of this new body style... it looks like a huge pryus.. Even the twin ES300 is ugly... all of their cars have been nice but recently the ones they have come out with hasnt been good looking (although it doesnt appeal to me, it does it a lot of others).

I cant say that other companys are any better because the new accord isnt that great either... It looks like the a saturn from the back.. The car looks good from the front, but the new Japanese trend to make short trunks doesnt look good on all cars.

Nissans new styling hasnt appealed to me either because it seems they are trying to make all their cars look a certain way... The new Quest looks like a rat to me.. The new titan that will be out looks okay, but it could have been so much better.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-12-2003, 09:56 AM

Try this pic...

that just looks like the TSX
Old 04-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Pointy Elbows

Ya

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

That's what I thought too when I first looked at it.

:
Old 04-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The NSX may be old, but it is the ultimate Honda/Acura. No other vehicle in Honda/Acura's ENTIRE lineup has a DOHC VTEC motor like the NSX. It would be interesting to see if they put that motor in the new TL-S. Probably not, because the cost of such a motor must be extreme, hence the NSX's $90K price tag.

EDIT, I should say DOHC VTEC V6. Only the NSX has that. All or most of the Honda 4 bangers are DOHC VTEC.

DW

you gotta realize that the nsx is old technolgy, it will get the new engine soon. The RL from what i hear will be AWD.. but who knows for sure, looks like the official picts will be out the 18th of this month.. i assume along with the specs.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, it's just a bigger TSX. In that case, I like the present TL-S better. The Maxima has nothing to worry about. Especially since they won't put a damn 6 speed in the TL-S, the bums!

If only Honda/Acura could make a special TL-S Type R with a 6 speed manual, and somehow shave 200 lbs of that hefty 3500 lbs curb weight, then the Maxima would have a whole lot to worry about.

DW

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

Old 04-12-2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Yeah, it's just a bigger TSX. In that case, I like the present TL-S better. The Maxima has nothing to worry about. Especially since they won't put a damn 6 speed in the TL-S, the bums!

If only Honda/Acura could make a special TL-S Type R with a 6 speed manual, and somehow shave 200 lbs of that hefty 3500 lbs curb weight, then the Maxima would have a whole lot to worry about.

DW

I heard this car is lighter, more power, and has a 6 speed with i-VTEC on this V6... Only 4 cyls have the ivtec now. Also, i heard the japanese version might get cylinder deactivation... which will save soo much more on gas. I think the maxima will always have to worry about the TL... as long as these two companies exist.. but compared to price maxima will win, its a lot cheaper.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by jjs

Actually, the Consumer's Report investigation showed that less than 2% of trannies had failures and the investigation was terminated last month. The problem is overrepresented on the TL boards because people seek out these forums and post there when they run into trouble. Plus you got the haters who pose as owners and claim to have a problem and never again show up. Also, I and others without tranny problems almost never post a thread letting others know how well the TLS tranny is holding up. In general, the number of people hoping the TLS is having tranny problems is much greater than the actual number of tranny failures, although there are people I am aware of who have had 3 trannies replaced. I have almost 20,000 miles on mine in 2 years and not a problem. Also, someone said something about used type S's on sale and I can tell you that the average price for a 2002 with 30,000 to 50,000 miles is still over $23,000.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by vandy786

Actually, the Consumer's Report investigation showed that less than 2% of trannies had failures and the investigation was terminated last month. The problem is overrepresented on the TL boards because people seek out these forums and post there when they run into trouble. Plus you got the haters who pose as owners and claim to have a problem and never again show up. Also, I and others without tranny problems almost never post a thread letting others know how well the TLS tranny is holding up. In general, the number of people hoping the TLS is having tranny problems is much greater than the actual number of tranny failures, although there are people I am aware of who have had 3 trannies replaced. I have almost 20,000 miles on mine in 2 years and not a problem. Also, someone said something about used type S's on sale and I can tell you that the average price for a 2002 with 30,000 to 50,000 miles is still over $23,000.
Yeah, Hondas maintain a lot of value compared to nissans... I think if you mistreat your tranny, its gonna mess up on you anyway..
Old 04-13-2003, 08:57 AM
swallac2

I see your point, but why then did Honda issue an extended warranty for the trannys in the Accord, TL, and CL. They must see something, they wouldn't have done something like that if thye didn't have a good reason.

Originally posted by vandy786

Old 04-13-2003, 11:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

I see your point, but why then did Honda issue an extended warranty for the trannys in the Accord, TL, and CL. They must see something, they wouldn't have done something like that if thye didn't have a good reason.

My best guess would be to calm everyone down. Honda as a company is defined by it's unususally long lasting, reliable, and durable cars. It's their #1 selling point and they don't want ANYTHING to tarnish that image.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximas New Competition

Originally posted by rbloedow

My best guess would be to calm everyone down. Honda as a company is defined by it's unususally long lasting, reliable, and durable cars. It's their #1 selling point and they don't want ANYTHING to tarnish that image.

Very tru, honda sells on its reliability and quality. Who would buy a car that is prone to break down anyway? Besides, these are the days of warrantee wars anyways, i mean, a company like KIA offers 100000 Miles warrantee. So, it shouldnt be a problem for these huge companies to outdo this small one...