5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trans axle seal, axle seal? difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 08:14 AM

Trans axle seal, axle seal? difference?

When I bought my 2K one of the conditions was to have the drivers side "axle seal" where the axle enters the tranny replaced... It was leaking oil onto the tranny housing and dripping from there... When I picked up the car they said it was only sweating but was replaced... On the service invoice when I picked up the car it had all the parts they ordered, "Transaxle seal kit" was on it, but I really don't think they installed it!

The sales guys were great, the service guys (for some warranty work, MAF etc) have been totally and utterly useless... They said they did an alignment, which they didn't and they overfilled the oil by about a quart... They were also suposed to replace the right front stab link because it had some play.. I'll check that when I get my new rubber installed....

My question is about proper wording of the axle seal so when I get a mechanic to verify its still leaking he knows excatly what to look at... How long is labour to replace this seal? If anyone has done it that is? The guy who did the pre-buyers said it was a cheap $16 part and fairly easy to replace...

Any info would be great! thanx!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:26 AM

It's a pain in the a** to replace. You need to pull the half shaft out and pry the seal out.

Why do you think they didn't install it?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:32 AM

Because when I pulled my winter tires off and put my summer tires on it looked like there was still oil on the bottom of the tranny (and after driving through feet of snow it should be "cleaner")... And last night it looked like there was some fresh oil spots on the driveway where I usually park... Plus it would be VERY typical of this service garage... They always treat me like I have no brain and know NOTHING about cars...

I had that stalling bad MAF thing and at first they couldn't replicate it which was BS because it did it ALL the time... Then after I came down and showed them they at first tried to tell me its how I'm putting it into neutral?!?! (I've got a 5spd, wtf?)... Then all they did was "try" to turn up the idle speed by NOT programming the ecu.... sigh... idiots... I ended up at Nissan service where they diagnosed the MAF and replaced it in 1/2 an hour... And I billed the garage because it should have been warranty...

I obviously have zero faith in this place because of these incidents.. did I mention they claim to have done an alignment?
Old 04-14-2003, 02:20 PM

Here's what I would do. Buy yourself a can of engine degreaser and a fresh piece of cardboard. First clean off the bottom of the transaxle that you think is leaking with the degreaser, this will rule out the possibility of it being residual. After that has dried put the piece of cardboard under your car overnight and inspect it in the morning. You should see some tranny fluid on it if it is still leaking.

Also, make sure that they replaced the proper side. I would LMAO if they changed out the wrong one.