5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

K&N FilterCharger Replacement Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:15 AM

K&N FilterCharger Replacement Air Filter

Hi guys,

I just ordered this air filter to replace my factory filter. I have a 2003 Maxima Se. I wanted to know if by just changing my air filter to k&n, willl i get any performance or Sound difference? Also will it help if I leave my intake box open with the K&N? I dont want to buy an intake kit (cause i dont wanna void the warranty).

Thanks in advance..
Old 04-15-2003, 11:53 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: K&N FilterCharger Replacement Air Filter

Originally posted by gameboyzz
Hi guys,

I just ordered this air filter to replace my factory filter. I have a 2003 Maxima Se. I wanted to know if by just changing my air filter to k&n, willl i get any performance or Sound difference? Also will it help if I leave my intake box open with the K&N? I dont want to buy an intake kit (cause i dont wanna void the warranty).

Thanks in advance..
you wont notice any power difference unless you can pick up 1 hp to the crank on your butt dyno. it will help with throttle response a bit and its reuseable. as far as leaving it open, you can look through threads here concerning the ghetto air box mod. however, if you had any maf problems, you are going to have to either buy a new stock intake or convince the nissan tech that it came that way.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:55 AM

About the only thing you will possibly notice is that the car revs a little bit easier in the lower RPM range. I know they claim an increase in HP, but it's only something like 1-2 HP, which won't be noticeable. I don't remember noticing much of a sound difference.

I don't know about the 2003s, but on my 2001 if I left the intake box open the K&N would probably slide around and allow dirt and stuff to pass behind it. The filter comes with two foam strips to help seal the filter in the intake box (they go on the part you pull out).
Old 04-15-2003, 03:36 PM
silver99

I just installed a K&N air filter for my 99 maxima SE. It was an awesome diference in performance. I have noticed it.

Old 04-15-2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by silver99
I just installed a K&N air filter for my 99 maxima SE. It was an awesome diference in performance. I have noticed it.
As someone stated in another post, it is probably because you have a 99.. Us 02-03 owners don't really benefit from it unless you go the GAB (Ghetto AirBox) route..

Then it's a different story..
Old 04-15-2003, 06:50 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by maxcosity

As someone stated in another post, it is probably because you have a 99.. Us 02-03 owners don't really benefit from it unless you go the GAB (Ghetto AirBox) route..

Then it's a different story..
all 4th gen maximas use the same filter as us. if anything a 4th gen would gain less than 5th gen due to our motors making more power. im not getting into which is faster but we have more power stock. if you felt a huge difference from a k&n drop in filter then you either have a very sensitive butt dyno or there was a radical temperature drop from when you put it in.