5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

need help please. $200 for alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 03:52 PM

need help please. $200 for alignment

I just put on my KYB GR2's this morning to match up with the H&R's I already had on. I took it to Bear alignment in Rosemead, CA (highly recommended by org members)for alignment after the install. I mentioned that I might have some camber problems because my last set up tires wore more on the inside. After checking the car, the guy comes back with a quote of $200. He says the camber is bad in front and back and they would have to bend some parts to get in back within spec. I don't know how the alignment is off by this much with just the H&R. It's not low at all. the guy even thought that I was still stock. Anyone else come across this problem with H&R springs. I ended up not doing the alignment there because $200 seemed kinda steep for alignment. I'll try a different place tomorrow and see how it goes. Do you guys think I should get camber bolts for the front? Also any other recommendations for other alignment shops in so cal. Thanks for any help guys/gals.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:58 PM

alignment

You need to be clear on what problem is causing what. You say you had a bad tire wear but not if this was before or after you had the springs done.

$200 clearly seems crazy as most alignments are <$60. Bending parts seems like the wrong way to solve the problem (if one exists at all). They should certainly have known that the springs were not factory springs.

As good as the recommendations have been I would seriously consider another shop. My $.02, I'm not a mechanic by trade.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:19 PM

? do you like the H&R springs? How do they ride? Did you get better handling?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:40 PM

I do like my H&R, especially now that I have the KYB's on. I thought the ride was still good with the stock shocks, but they got even better with the KYB's. I just called another shop and they were quoting me $140 if they were going to do some camber work. Having to spend this extra money has even got me considering going back to my stock set-up. I work for Enterprise and there is a shop that we use that says they can do it for a lot less. I'll take it there tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:22 PM

Re: need help please. $200 for alignment

No way dont do it for that much.
$200 is ridiculus u could have the springs and allignment done for that price. Find a different shop they are trying to rip you off
Old 04-16-2003, 05:30 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: need help please. $200 for alignment

Originally posted by 2kmist
I just put on my KYB GR2's this morning to match up with the H&R's I already had on. I took it to Bear alignment in Rosemead, CA (highly recommended by org members)for alignment after the install. I mentioned that I might have some camber problems because my last set up tires wore more on the inside. After checking the car, the guy comes back with a quote of $200. He says the camber is bad in front and back and they would have to bend some parts to get in back within spec. I don't know how the alignment is off by this much with just the H&R. It's not low at all. the guy even thought that I was still stock. Anyone else come across this problem with H&R springs. I ended up not doing the alignment there because $200 seemed kinda steep for alignment. I'll try a different place tomorrow and see how it goes. Do you guys think I should get camber bolts for the front? Also any other recommendations for other alignment shops in so cal. Thanks for any help guys/gals.
200 is obviously high for an alignment. the problem is they may have diagnosed that the caster is out of spec. most think caster cant be adjusted on maximas and think that body work or bending the frame back is the only way to get it back in. i had the same problem with going to firestone for an alignment. they didnt know how to adjust caster so i called my guy at the dealership and the tech said they do have a way of adjusting it and most shops just dont know about it. alignment was 60 and they fixed the caster problem without frame bending.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:35 PM

I think the extra money is to repair the negative camber not the caster. From all the the things I've read on the org, I thought the rears of our 5th gens are not adjustable. Anyone else have their camber adjusted in the rear. Last time I got an alignment, they didn't even look at the rear. All they did was the front and sent me on my way. It was only $35 too. I'm probably going to lose sleep over this. I feel like I messed up my car by lowering it.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:40 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by 2kmist
I think the extra money is to repair the negative camber not the caster. From all the the things I've read on the org, I thought the rears of our 5th gens are not adjustable. Anyone else have their camber adjusted in the rear. Last time I got an alignment, they didn't even look at the rear. All they did was the front and sent me on my way. It was only $35 too. I'm probably going to lose sleep over this. I feel like I messed up my car by lowering it.
its neutraled out in the back, im not aware of a way to adjust the rear.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:56 PM

i just had my alignment done at bear frame as well, but the one on amar.

their methods are decidedly low tech, involving little more than a piece of chalk and two test drives. but in about thirty minutes, they'd cured my ills! definitely worth the $40 he charged me.

point being, i think the bear frame the org members are recommending (at least the posts i've read) is the one on amar. at least, it's worth a try to go there. don't tell them you went to the one in rosemead tho. you wanna see what they come up with.

bending pieces sounds dubious at best.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:08 AM

I just dropped off my car at discount tire. They are the shop we use for all of our alignments. He says they can do some minor adjustment for the rear, so they are going to do a 4 wheel alignment. I ended up buying their lifetime deal for $129. I figured it would be worth it. This is my second alignment in six months. I can bring it in every six months for alignment now. Beats the hell out of the $200 I almost spent yesterday.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:27 AM

sloppymax: You mentioned having to call a guy at the dealership to find out how to adjust caster! What did he say?? You just sort of left us hanging!