5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Precision Brakes kit #1 has problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Maxima Pilot

Precision Brakes kit #1 has problems....

This is what I get for being #1 customer car! Certainly not unexpected...read on below.

I tried to install my kit yesterday afternoon early and ran into one major snag...the aluminum hat supplied with the kit is not the right depth. Thank God I had not disconnected the brake fluid lines, otherwise it would have been a long evening, this was all found during what I call 'dry-fitting'.

The hat I received has a .810 offset, with that offset and the 1.25" thick rotors, there is interference between the rotor and the lower A arm -our famous transverse link- right at its very end, where the ball joint is. If the other guys ordered that combination as well, and has already been shipped with the .810 hat, they will have problems as well -and I already posted this in the GD forum.

All this was troubleshot with the Precision Brakes chief engineer on the phone with me, I called them as soon as I saw the problem. As it turns out, they fit the kit on a bare spindle. Of course, a bare spindle does not have the lower A-arm attached to it so....they had no way of finding that interference until the first real 'customer car' install -which was me.

The solution is new hat with 3mm less offset. Along with new aluminum spacers (to keep the caliper centered over the rotor) this will still require about 2mm to be ground off the tip of the lower A-arm as any less 'hat offset' would put the caliper at risk of hitting the wheel. As it is, with the new hat I expect I will have only about 3mm clearance between the caliper and the wheel so...it's a tight fit -again, caused by the 1.25" rotor and the large Superlite calipers.

If you are contemplating this kit, you might want to consider dropping the rotor width to the next smaller width (22mm, or .81 inches) instead of my huge 1.25" width rotor....this will almost completely eliminate the problem of interference (maybe 1.5mm to grind off the A-arm, no big deal), allow the use of the .810 hat and thereby expand the clearance between the wheel and the caliper -something to consider given you'll have more wheel options before u run into interference problems

The Precision Brakes guys were great....very apologetic and like I said, spent nearly 45 minutes with me on the phone as I dry fitted, measured, etc. They'll be cutting the new hats Monday & will ship all the bits and pieces Tuesday so the installation will be next week, I hope.

Any questions, just post here or the GD forum where I posted this as well, I'll get to them tonight