5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAX Handling was Awesome!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 07:34 AM

MAX Handling was Awesome!!!

Hey Guys,

First of all I was able to get the RSB problem fixed and thanks again for all your adivise.

Now to yesterday when I went out to the track. The last time I went to gingerman in MI, I just had the Eibach and Tokico Blues. Now w/. the FSTB and RSB, I was just amazed at the handling. I couldn't believe that the car could take sharp corners at such high speed without any body roll. I'm still a novice at the track so I was in the beginners group, but I was able to hang w/. the WRX and actually did overtake a couple WRX's on the back and front straightaways... I was actually a little surprised that I was able to pull on the WRX on the straightway...perhaps it all depends on how you exit the turn....

Anyway, yesterday was quite eventful...Saw a brand new M3 blow it's engine (the same problem all of us have heard about the M3 engines), then a '99 M3 rolled over too (this one was pretty bad)...thank God the driver survived...No one could believe that he came out fine, when all of us look at how bad the car was damaged...the entire roof caved in, the Chassis was completely bent...but the best part was about a Tang guy braggin about his 5.0...the guy blew his engine in the second session...

Oh btw, I just have the Stainless Steel brake lines and Porterfield brake pads and the brakes held up pretty good (very minimum fade)...but I want to upgrade to a big brake kit...if anyone has any opinions, please feel free to comment...I'm thinking about either the wilwood or the 1pc AP Racing Stillen Kit (2pc is way expensive)...let me know.

I have a 2k1 5spd w/. Greddy Catback, Cattman y-pipe, Stillen HiFlow intake, RSB and STS, Custom Maxima FSTB and Eibach & Tokico Blues.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:15 AM

Re: MAX Handling was Awesome!!!

Congrats on the track day, I'm headed to Mosport tomorrow.

As for the brakes get the AP Racing kit, they are excellent brakes. However the 1 piece rotors will crack on you as they have with me after two track days, I was using Hawk HP+.

I am on my second set and I am expecting them to crack as well. I am waiting for the non cross drilled 2 piece rotors to arrive at Stillen. They don't offer non cross drilled 1 piece rotors. Spend the money and get the two piece non cross drilled rotors.

On May 19th I am headed to Watrerford Hills, can you make it for that track day? I assume you live in Michigan. Check out my home page for details.

Originally posted by Smokin' X-press
Hey Guys,

First of all I was able to get the RSB problem fixed and thanks again for all your adivise.

Now to yesterday when I went out to the track. The last time I went to gingerman in MI, I just had the Eibach and Tokico Blues. Now w/. the FSTB and RSB, I was just amazed at the handling. I couldn't believe that the car could take sharp corners at such high speed without any body roll. I'm still a novice at the track so I was in the beginners group, but I was able to hang w/. the WRX and actually did overtake a couple WRX's on the back and front straightaways... I was actually a little surprised that I was able to pull on the WRX on the straightway...perhaps it all depends on how you exit the turn....

Anyway, yesterday was quite eventful...Saw a brand new M3 blow it's engine (the same problem all of us have heard about the M3 engines), then a '99 M3 rolled over too (this one was pretty bad)...thank God the driver survived...No one could believe that he came out fine, when all of us look at how bad the car was damaged...the entire roof caved in, the Chassis was completely bent...but the best part was about a Tang guy braggin about his 5.0...the guy blew his engine in the second session...

Oh btw, I just have the Stainless Steel brake lines and Porterfield brake pads and the brakes held up pretty good (very minimum fade)...but I want to upgrade to a big brake kit...if anyone has any opinions, please feel free to comment...I'm thinking about either the wilwood or the 1pc AP Racing Stillen Kit (2pc is way expensive)...let me know.

I have a 2k1 5spd w/. Greddy Catback, Cattman y-pipe, Stillen HiFlow intake, RSB and STS, Custom Maxima FSTB and Eibach & Tokico Blues.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:05 PM

MAXRPM...I live close to the Waterford Track. As it's on a weekend, I'll definitely show up, but I'm not sure if I'm going to take the car on the track. I'm planning on going to Waterford on May 6th. RSR -Rally Sports Region is organizing a track event that day and they have at least one every month at Waterford. I need to get a few things done on the car, like the brake upgrade, brake bleed, new rims/tires etc. Let me know who's organizing this event on the 19th. Also thanks for the info on the Stillen Brake Kits. I wasn't sure which one to go with as I heard that the Wilwood Kit from Precisionbreak has fitment issues (at least that's what i got from the thread posted earlier). I'll wait for the non-cross drilled version to come out. See you on the 19th...
Old 04-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: MAX Handling was Awesome!!!

Originally posted by Smokin' X-press
Hey Guys,

What was the problem with your RSB? I might have problems with my RSB too. Body roll is too much, even though I dont lower my car and I dont have FSTB.

~limsandy
Old 04-20-2003, 04:11 PM

The problem was with the installation. The RSB bar was hitting the linkage thing that next to the rear beam. Check the forum for that thread. I posted it last Thursday. The shop fixed the problem by removing the ABS brackets and moving the lines forward...Hope this helps.