5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Will the following void your warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 07:58 AM

Will the following void your warranty?

1.Lowering your vehicle

2.Catback Exhaust

3. GAB mod

Thanks in advance
Old 04-22-2003, 08:01 AM

I don't think any of those should, people have done those 3 things and I think they are fine. I'm not sure.

The GAB I think will definetly though.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:19 AM

Re: Will the following void your warranty?

Originally posted by gameboyzz
1.Lowering your vehicle

2.Catback Exhaust

3. GAB mod

Thanks in advance
First two no, Third would likely since you are rigging the stock airbox.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:21 AM
BigCat44

No, Actually it depends on the dealer though anything can void your warranty if it can be proved that the aftermarket part was the cause of failure or it wasn't installed by a Nissan authorized mech. Some dealerships are worse than others. For instance if you had a stock strut burst at like 100 miles (brand new) normally this could be covered under a defect warranty though if you have aftermarket springs this could be deemed the culprit. Enjoy the mods and don't sweat the dealer, you'll be fine.

Old 04-22-2003, 08:24 AM
NT2SHBBY

hey Gameboy that 100 shot of nitrous will most definitely void your warranty tho!

Old 04-22-2003, 08:45 AM
It's chrome alright...

It's completely up to the dealer, and if he 'voids your warranty' in the computer then it's voided everwhere, not just at that dealer.

So before you take "no" as your answer, you also have to realize if they void it, then you have to fight it. I know the onus is on them to "prove the mod caused the problem" but it's not, really. The dealer told me an Injen intake would void my warranty "all the way from the intake to the catalytic converter." It's a stretch to say an intake can void the warranty on the cat, but then it'd be up to me to prove it didn't cause the problem.

It's no as easy as "will this void the warranty." I decided I'd rather swap the stock intake back on rather than deal with the headache...
Old 04-22-2003, 10:36 AM
lcf

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
It's completely up to the dealer, and if he 'voids your warranty' in the computer then it's voided everwhere, not just at that dealer.

So before you take "no" as your answer, you also have to realize if they void it, then you have to fight it. I know the onus is on them to "prove the mod caused the problem" but it's not, really. The dealer told me an Injen intake would void my warranty "all the way from the intake to the catalytic converter." It's a stretch to say an intake can void the warranty on the cat, but then it'd be up to me to prove it didn't cause the problem.

It's no as easy as "will this void the warranty." I decided I'd rather swap the stock intake back on rather than deal with the headache...
Here's a very pertinent link to anyone who is concerned about aftermarket parts voiding the warranty on their car(s).

http://www.sema.org/content/?id=8124

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
Old 04-22-2003, 10:42 AM
jjs

Originally posted by lcf
Here's a very pertinent link to anyone who is concerned about aftermarket parts voiding the warranty on their car(s).

True. Problem with that like most laws is if they decide to do it anyway (void the warranty), you are still left with fighting them and often incurring legal costs.

While it is designed to protect the consumer, it has no real enforcement threat behind it.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:51 AM
lcf

Originally posted by jjs

True. Problem with that like most laws is if they decide to do it anyway (void the warranty), you are still left with fighting them and often incurring legal costs.

While it is designed to protect the consumer, it has no real enforcement threat behind it.
Depending on the nature of the warranty work, it could very well be worth the cost of retaining an attorney.

Fortunately for myself, my legal issues are usually taken care of at no cost.

http://lcf.digitalrice.com

Sorry for the plug!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:56 AM
BiggD23

Originally posted by jjs

Problem with that like most laws is if they decide to do it anyway (void the warranty), you are still left with fighting them and often incurring legal costs.

That's exactly what it boils down to. Are you willing to waste time and money going up against Nissan Corp. and their endless financial resources in a court of law? For most people the answer is simply no, it's not worth it. They say the burden of proof is on them but in reality it's on you to prove that your mod DIDN'T cause the problem.

Old 04-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by lcf
Depending on the nature of the warranty work, it could very well be worth the cost of retaining an attorney.

Fortunately for myself, my legal issues are usually taken care of at no cost.

http://lcf.digitalrice.com

Sorry for the plug! ;wall:
i signed up for this thru lcf....its awesome...you have your own attorney office to call for any question & they have no problem sending letters to scare them a bit worked everytime for me
Old 04-22-2003, 11:53 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by lcf

you make it seem like it's that easy and it's not...

All I was saying was if you want to mod you have to be willing to fight the dealer if they say you caused the problem. It's not like you're going to walk up to a service manager and say "Magnuson-Moss" and watch him crap his pants. Ultimately it's up to YOU to fight it.

So, when someone asks "will this void my warranty" the answer is always "is it something you're willing to fight for?" Don't make it seem like it's that cut and dried.

All of this is also the reason I kept my stock parts and put them back on when it does to the dealer
Old 04-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your warranty can never be "Voided". The only thing that the dealer can do is deny your warrenty claim. If they can prove that your aftermarket parts caused something to break then they can charge you to repair your car. I have learned had this confirmed be several dealers. I have a slightly modified 02 WRX also. I have thrown a couple of check engine lights. some that I had fixed some I had to pay for. hope this helps.
Silly
Old 04-22-2003, 12:24 PM
lcf

Originally posted by BiggD23

That's exactly what it boils down to. Are you willing to waste time and money going up against Nissan Corp. and their endless financial resources in a court of law? For most people the answer is simply no, it's not worth it. They say the burden of proof is on them but in reality it's on you to prove that your mod DIDN'T cause the problem.
No, not if you think about it. Also, no one said anything about suing Nissan. We're dealing with dealerships here.

Let's say my dealership denied doing warranty work on my slipping automatic transmission because I have an aftermarket intake. Lawfully, they are stating that the intake directly caused the transmission to get screwed up. They cannot simply make this claim without evidence. In court, a dealership would be forced to prove the "theory."

The dealership knows they are BSing and they will do your warranty work. The law is powerful if one knows how to wield it properly.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:25 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by lcf
No, not if you think about it. Also, no one said anything about suing Nissan. We're dealing with dealerships here.

Let's say my dealership denied doing warranty work on my slipping automatic transmission because I have an aftermarket intake. Lawfully, they are stating that the intake directly caused the transmission to get screwed up. They cannot simply make this claim without evidence. In court, a dealership would be forced to prove the "theory."

The dealership knows they are BSing and they will do your warranty work. The law is powerful if one knows how to wield it properly.
so explain to me how a dealer said he could and would void the warranty on my cat because I replaced the intake? Is he BSing me, or does he have a valid argument?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:27 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by sillyasskilby
Your warranty can never be "Voided". The only thing that the dealer can do is deny your warrenty claim.
Sorry, but what's the difference? I think everyone knows they can't void the warranty on the car because you replaced the wipers, but they most certainly can void the warranty on your engine because you put on a turbo/SC. And if one dealer puts it in the computer, all dealerships will know about it... it's called a VIN.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by lcf

That's true, but they can claim anything they want before it goes to court. Most people don't have the time or resources to take time off of work and fight a battle that will probably cost more than the repair.

The easy answer - return your car to stock as best as possible every time you take it to the dealer. Much less head aches involved that way.

Typically a dealer will not void an unrelated part, but even with the lowering I wouldn't put it past them to say "Oh, the after market springs caused the engine to slam harder and your blown head gasket is not covered"

I wonder, do high end (BMW, Lexus) dealers pull the same stuff with mods?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:33 PM
NT2SHBBY

it's amusing to me how dealers are quick to tell you how your mods will void your warranty, yet they fail to complain when you're handing them $400 for a $200 Trenz grill, or $500 for window tint....

Old 04-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
hey Gameboy that 100 shot of nitrous will most definitely void your warranty tho!
lol
Old 04-22-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

lol

lmao, ya i know, but thats easy to take out, Im actually taking it out this week. Dont wanna rag on my max no more.. my poor baby.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The difference is that in Voiding your warranty, your saying that your warranty is no longer valid. Denying service on one thing does not mean that you cannot take it in for some other totally unrelated problem.

example: they deny service on a brake claim because you used aftermarket pads. then your un-modded engine goes bad, if they Voided your warrenty then you would be screwed. Since they cannot Void your warranty you can still make the claim for service on the engine if it falls under your warranty.

understand 2k2wannabe

Its called a vocabulary different words mean different things
Old 04-22-2003, 01:14 PM
jjs

Since they cannot Void your warranty you can still make the claim for service on the engine if it falls under your warranty.

understand 2k2wannabe

Its called a vocabulary different words mean different things
Who said they can't? OK, Mr. Vocabulary...try this on for size...just becasue the law states that they cannot legally do so, it does not prevent them from actually making a notation of it and then make you fight it out later. It is called 'the real world'.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by gameboyzz

lmao, ya i know, but thats easy to take out, Im actually taking it out this week. Dont wanna rag on my max no more.. my poor baby.
so are you going to take pics before you uninstall it
Old 04-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jjs

Who said they can't? OK, Mr. Vocabulary...try this on for size...just becasue the law states that they cannot legally do so, it does not prevent them from actually making a notation of it and then make you fight it out later. It is called 'the real world'.
Whether it be a warranty company, dealership, or insurance company... they all use the same tactic... deny the first time, and deny again until the person really complains. Most dealers will be extremely helpful and even non-covered work can be 'manipulated' with a good service manager against a warranty company. It's just like if you scratched up your mirror and then got hit in the door later... and had the insurance company pay for the mirror as well (they didn't know the difference).

What one needs to realize is... quality is king. If you use jacked up aftermarket parts and break something, why would you expect the dealer to cover it? On the other hand, some dealers will pick away. I had a Dodge Intrepid that I used Bosch Platinum plugs and aftermarket plug wires... when I had a problem with a blown manifold, the dealer said he couldn't help with an analysis until I had "official Mopar" plugs and wires on the car. I laughed and argued with the Service Manager, then I called the owner... then I went to a Crysler dealer, who could have cared less about the plugs and wires, and not only fixed the car under warranty, but found a recall on it as well!

So bottom line, if one dealer gives you trouble... try another one. The whole "VIN number in the computer" claim is bull.

-R
Old 04-22-2003, 01:29 PM
lcf

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
so explain to me how a dealer said he could and would void the warranty on my cat because I replaced the intake? Is he BSing me, or does he have a valid argument?
I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff. I won't lie. What I would do is shoot out an email to a few more knowledgable members of the .org and perhaps also ask a few mechanics, etc. to get their opinion on the subject. I'm wouldn't ever try to scam a dealership so my next course of action would depend on what I find out. If what they're saying is not even plausible I would pursue legal action.

All the time, everyday people find themselves in a legal situation and simply give up because of how much it would cost to pursue it. There IS an alternative though. Becoming a member of Prepaid Legal means affordable legal protection. When I say affordable, I mean cheaper than your broadband internet bill and most definitely cheaper than retaining a lawyer privately.

The answer: http://lcf.digitalrice.com

So far, a few .org members have been willing to try me out and so far ALL have been completely satisfied.

BTW, Phil! Thanks for the words!!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:33 PM
jjs

Originally posted by lcf
I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff. I won't lie. What I would do is shoot out an email to a few more knowledgable members of the .org and perhaps also ask a few mechanics, etc. to get their opinion on the subject. I'm wouldn't ever try to scam a dealership so my next course of action would depend on what I find out. If what they're saying is not even plausible I would pursue legal action.

All the time, everyday people find themselves in a legal situation and simply give up because of how much it would cost to pursue it. There IS an alternative though. Becoming a member of Prepaid Legal means affordable legal protection. When I say affordable, I mean cheaper than your broadband internet bill and most definitely cheaper than retaining a lawyer privately.

The answer: http://lcf.digitalrice.com

So far, a few .org members have been willing to try me out and so far ALL have been completely satisfied.

BTW, Phil! Thanks for the words!!
Can you e-mail me on this? Our network here at the office is kind of touchy on websites like yours (flash intros, etc.). Just wanted to ask a couple quick questions. I know it is a pain, but would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:47 PM
lcf

Originally posted by jjs

Can you e-mail me on this? Our network here at the office is kind of touchy on websites like yours (flash intros, etc.). Just wanted to ask a couple quick questions. I know it is a pain, but would be appreciated.

Thanks!
YGM.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:54 PM
jjs

Originally posted by lcf
YGM.
Thanks! Just waiting for it to hit our network.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Look guys I dont know who ****ed in everyones coffee today. I am just trying to help the guy out and give him some good info. If some scumbag dealer trys to completely void your warranty then that would be against the law. Did you even read what you wrote it makes no sense. If they did that then they would be wrong(read breaking the law)I will bet you any amount of money that a case like that would never reach court. There is also the fact that you have the right to request that the parent company(in this case Nissan) send a rep to review the denial of warranty service. If the Rep found something like what you described in your post then he would change it ASAP. Nissan i am sure does not what a bunch of bad press relating to there service department. Finally I am not saying that this kind of dealer bull$hit does not happen I am just trying to enlighten you guys to your rights. The laws are there for a reason take advantage of them.
And finally JJS maybe you should stop watching Mtv and get off of the computer and go outside, you may learn something.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:05 PM
jjs

Look guys I dont know who ****ed in everyones coffee today. I am just trying to help the guy out and give him some good info. If some scumbag dealer trys to completely void your warranty then that would be against the law. Did you even read what you wrote it makes no sense. If they did that then they would be wrong(read breaking the law)I will bet you any amount of money that a case like that would never reach court. There is also the fact that you have the right to request that the parent company(in this case Nissan) send a rep to review the denial of warranty service. If the Rep found something like what you described in your post then he would change it ASAP. Nissan i am sure does not what a bunch of bad press relating to there service department. Finally I am not saying that this kind of dealer bull$hit does not happen I am just trying to enlighten you guys to your rights. The laws are there for a reason take advantage of them.
And finally JJS maybe you should stop watching Mtv and get off of the computer and go outside, you may learn something.
There are and always will be people who do things blatantly against some statute or law and continue to do so until pressed in court or the threat of legal action. Both of which by definition means the customer has already had to hire an atty. I am not saying this is not illegal, you fool, I am saying to bring attention to its illegal nature means the CUSTOMER is the one having to prove things and incur costs for justice, even if settled out of court.

Crap, for someone who hasn't posted **** on this forum you sure are an arrogant a$$hole who needs to get a life himself and not give people a hard time, like 2k2wannabe.

Don't understand your reference to MTV, haven't watched it in years, I work for a living on many things, among others the computer which is where I am right now. Bottom line is YOU have a lot to learn about a great many things.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:19 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by jjs
Crap, for someone who hasn't posted **** on this forum you sure are an arrogant a$$hole who needs to get a life himself and not give people a hard time, like 2k2wannabe.
I'm not sure if I should be proud or offended... no flame intended but what does that mean?
Old 04-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HEHEE you are such a JACKA$$. The only thing that you have said so far that is even close to correct is that people do shady things. If you had bothered to read my above post I told you how to deal with that. Call the parent company (Nissan) and ask them to send out a Rep to review the case. Does not cost you anything. If you knew your rights which I was trying to explain to your dumba$$ then you would not have to hire a lawyer. You think that Nissan is going to risk going to court if they are not right about a service claim.

As for not posting on this board your correct I just bought my Maxima. If post numbers mean something in your 'real world' go check out the same name on www.i-club.com, www.vwvortex.com, and www.nasioc.com. As for 2k2wannabe I was just giving him a hard time about his Its called a VIN comment. Your the only one that seems so upset.

So I am done with this little display of bad manners. I apologize to the guy who started this thread. I hope the correct info that I put out there helps. If you know your rights it makes Modding a car much easier. See ya JACKA$$
Old 04-22-2003, 02:31 PM
It's chrome alright...

HEHEE you are such a JACKA$$. The only thing that you have said so far that is even close to correct is that people do shady things. If you had bothered to read my above post I told you how to deal with that. Call the parent company (Nissan) and ask them to send out a Rep to review the case. Does not cost you anything. If you knew your rights which I was trying to explain to your dumba$$ then you would not have to hire a lawyer. You think that Nissan is going to risk going to court if they are not right about a service claim.

As for not posting on this board your correct I just bought my Maxima. If post numbers mean something in your 'real world' go check out the same name on www.i-club.com, www.vwvortex.com, and www.nasioc.com. As for 2k2wannabe I was just giving him a hard time about his Its called a VIN comment. Your the only one that seems so upset.

So I am done with this little display of bad manners. I apologize to the guy who started this thread. I hope the correct info that I put out there helps. If you know your rights it makes Modding a car much easier. See ya JACKA$$
So I see you won't last long around here... it was nice knowing ya

and I'll get specifics from my friend at the ford dealer... I know he was involved in at least one case where a guy chipped his F-150 and they voided the engine warranty at every ford dealer in america. See if I can call him tonight.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dont worry brother I will be here a while. Intrested in what your friend has to say. I will try to dig up a copy of a letter from Subaru of America that says pretty much what I explained before.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:57 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

personal attacks wont be tolerated..

sillyasskilby, you dont have a Nissan.. You really havent seen what Nissan dealers will refuse/deny and ultimately void your warranty by declaring abuse.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by TimW
personal attacks wont be tolerated..

sillyasskilby, you dont have a Nissan.. You really havent seen what Nissan dealers will refuse/deny and ultimately void your warranty by declaring abuse.
sillyasskilby's profile says 2003 Max SE. Not trying to step on toes Tim, just noticed.

Moving on...
I always find it funny how the number of posts in someone's profile is somehow believed to reflect the individual's intelligence, experience, and common sense. I could name a few "senior" org members that are complete idiots.

Anyways, I second the "can't void your warranty" statements made previously, but that they can deny warranty service due to fault of owner modifications. If you start misfiring and you have a Jetchip installed, good luck getting Nissan to pay for it. But also, there's no way they can deny to fix a suspension component because of the same Jetchip.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well TimW It did not start out as a personal attack, I was just messing with 2k2wannabe about one of his comments, which may have been a bad idea since I am new. I did not figure that you guys where so touchy. The other guy jumped all over me, I felt that I was just defending myself. Also I do own a 03 Maxima, along with a 02 WRX, and a 88 Vw 16V. I was just trying to share some good info, that can help you fight the dealers. Thanks for the support Kojiro_FtT. It amazes me that in trying to share some good info that people would be so hostile.

Anyway Whatever
Old 04-23-2003, 02:38 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Nissan will void your warranty on rotors for painting your calipers. Wanna fight it? get a lawyer.. NNA will back up the local dealership. Or you can just buy new rotors for $175. Thats what most people do.

Alot of people here have really been jerked around by NNA and dealerships over any repairs, mods or not, and most of us are not only more educated about maximas than the service writers, but we also know our rights.... and it rarely helps. Even NNA will say Mossy what? Ferguson who??

You only became the lightning rod for that frustration.

It doesnt matter how long someone's been here, just keep it civil and on topic.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TimW
Nissan will void your warranty on rotors for painting your calipers. Wanna fight it? get a lawyer.. NNA will back up the local dealership. Or you can just buy new rotors for $175. Thats what most people do.

Alot of people here have really been jerked around by NNA and dealerships over any repairs, mods or not, and most of us are not only more educated about maximas than the service writers, but we also know our rights.... and it rarely helps. Even NNA will say Mossy what? Ferguson who??

You only became the lightning rod for that frustration.

It doesnt matter how long someone's been here, just keep it civil and on topic.
Wow... never imagined that they would try to void a warranty for painting the calipers (which has NO EFFECT whatsoever on the rotors). Glad that my dealer service rep liked mine (he said they looked great... and didn't say anything negative like "oh, you shouldn't have done that..."). Again, I think it really depends on the dealer, don't you agree Tim?