5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 09:10 PM

Shifting

It seems like when I'm shifting my revs drop REALLY far down (at least 3-4k) and often times I find myself with not enough power and it feels like it bogs..

This is only when I am driving aggressively but not too aggressively.. when I drive really aggressively this isn't a problem, and when I don't drive aggressively, I don't notice..

Any ideas? Anyone else notice this?
Old 04-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Shifting

Originally posted by maxcosity
It seems like when I'm shifting my revs drop REALLY far down (at least 3-4k) and often times I find myself with not enough power and it feels like it bogs..

This is only when I am driving aggressively but not too aggressively.. when I drive really aggressively this isn't a problem, and when I don't drive aggressively, I don't notice..

Try not lifting AT ALL on the gas pedal. Then start slowly, little by little, letting off more until you get the right amount for smooth shifting.

Everytime I don't drive the Max for awhile, I have to relearn how to shift it smoothly. Otherwise, I just drive it like I stole it and it shifts perfect.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:36 PM

Yeah I need to try that -- almost like "powershifting" haha..

I guess 2 years driving a civic 5-speed really messes up your sense of shifting.. that **** was like butter and loved to rev high..
Old 04-24-2003, 04:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If your revs are dropping down too fast, are you grany shifting all the time?
Old 04-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Banned

Wait, they drop down BY 3-4K or TO 3-4K??? I used to have the opposite problem when I first got the car...I'd shift too quick for the revs, and ended up having a backwards jerk. After some time, it's second nature now and shifts are timed subconsciously at this point.

The Max's revs don't drop down as fast as other cars that I've driven, so it's kind of weird that you find them dropping faster than your old Civic.

You can shift this car without giving any gas at all while letting the clutch out. You just have to time the shifts accordingly.

By the way, I don't suggest you keep your foot on the gas while shifting...You'll wear out your clutch in no time doing that!