5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y-Pipe decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Y-Pipe decision

Ok. I will be purchasing a Y-pipe this week. I need to know which one is the best to buy. The 3 I am looking at are

Stillen:
Warpspeed:
Budget:

The one that I am eyeing right now is the budget cause.. well its cheapest. Is it just as good as the others, is it stainless steel and wont rust. I noticed that Warpspeed gives u a 4 year rust "through" warranty. I want something that is not gonna rust. and provides the best power. Thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Y-Pipe decision

Originally posted by Fezzik
Ok. I will be purchasing a Y-pipe this week. I need to know which one is the best to buy. The 3 I am looking at are

Stillen:
Warpspeed:
Budget:

The one that I am eyeing right now is the budget cause.. well its cheapest. Is it just as good as the others, is it stainless steel and wont rust. I noticed that Warpspeed gives u a 4 year rust "through" warranty. I want something that is not gonna rust. and provides the best power. Thanks guys!
The stainless steel Warpspeed is the best and best value - but you'll probably have to wait forever for it! The next best is Stillens and you'll get it quickly!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Originally posted by sleepermax

The stainless steel Warpspeed is the best and best value - but you'll probably have to wait forever for it! The next best is Stillens and you'll get it quickly!
Sleepermax, isn't Budget made from stainless steel too ?
Old 04-26-2003, 03:19 PM
rilla dope

Cattman, as good as the Stillen and you aren't supporting the devil that is $tealin.... It's SS and works absolutely great
Old 04-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Originally posted by bsetiawan

Sleepermax, isn't Budget made from stainless steel too ?
Old 04-26-2003, 03:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX

Doesn't that make the Budget a beter value than the Warpspeed since it is also a stainless steel and cheaper.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Doesn't that make the Budget a beter value than the Warpspeed since it is also a stainless steel and cheaper.
By jove, I think he's got it!!

Old 04-26-2003, 05:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Not necesarily because the Warpspeed has three things I really like - a great collector, a very fluid and well thought out design, and top notch welding. Plus I'd still be a little cautious about Budget's flex section. But in all honesty I doubt there'd be more than a 4-5 horsepower difference between all the y-pipes available.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Not necesarily because the Warpspeed has three things I really like, a great collector, a very fluid and well thought out design, and top notch welding. But in all honesty I doubt there'd be more than a 4-5 horsepower difference between all the y-pipes available.
Hmm...just to clarify this for me, are you implying that the budget Y doesn't have a great collector, a very fluid well thought out design, and/or top notch welding thereby rendering it not good value?
Old 04-26-2003, 06:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Hmm...just to clarify this for me, are you implying that the budget Y doesn't have a great collector, a very fluid well thought out design, and/or top notch welding thereby rendering it not good value?
Even the new Cattman doesn't have as good a collector as my old Stillen - see pic in my sig (the new Cattman IS stainless steel and the Stillen is not though). However, another difference you'll notice, which favors the Cattman, is the placement of the bend in the flex section area. On the Stillen this bend is is right before the flex section while on the Cattman it's after the flex.

There are other small details and it's little stuff like this that DOES make a difference in flow restrictions. The Warpspeed has the best of all worlds in my opinion. But I'm by no means knocking any y-pipe - ANY y-pipe is better than the stock Y.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Even the new Cattman doesn't have as good a collector as my old Stillen - see pic in my sig (the new Cattman IS stainless steel and the Stillen is not though). However, another difference you'll notice, which favors the Cattman, is the placement of the bend in the flex section area. On the Stillen this bend is is right before the flex section while on the Cattman it's after the flex.

There are other small details and it's little stuff like this that DOES make a difference in flow restrictions. The Warpspeed has the best of all worlds in my opinion. But I'm by no means knocking any y-pipe - ANY y-pipe is better than the stock Y.
Ok but what does this have to do with the Budget? The budget Y is US$160 to Warpspeed's $275 ($115 difference), both are SS, both are 2.5" outlet diameter. I can't speak for Warpspeed's design simply because I haven't seen it but here are some pics of the budget. Maybe you can share some pics of warpspeed's so that we can compare designs. However, warpspeed's design would have to completely blow me away for me to spend an extra $115!! Remember we want to give objective information to help everyone make their decision.

(The black paint burns off within the first 2 days. It's really stainless underneath see 3rd pic)

budget dyno link-> http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/504

pics:

Old 04-26-2003, 08:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Ok but what does this have to do with the Budget? The budget Y is US$160 to Warpspeed's $275 ($115 difference), both are SS, both are 2.5" outlet diameter. I can't speak for Warpspeed's design simply because I haven't seen it but here are some pics of the budget. Maybe you can share some pics of warpspeed's so that we can compare designs. However, warpspeed's design would have to completely blow me away for me to spend an extra $115!! Remember we want to give objective information to help everyone make their decision.

(The black paint burns off within the first 2 days. It's really stainless underneath see 3rd pic)

budget dyno link-> http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/504

You may have a point - it looks very good ( I still like Stillen's collector better though). How was the fitment? Any B's in the can sound? Do you have a pic of the inside of the flex section? You's is Cali spec correct? By the way here are some pic's of the Warpspeed: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....07#post1967418
Old 04-26-2003, 08:21 PM

I'm looking to buy Stillens Y-Pipe.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

That's a very detailed observation you made sleepermax. I would never have thought of those details myself. Btw, what is the collector on the Y-pipe ? Is it the part where the 2 pipes from the headers meet ?
Old 04-26-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

That's a very detailed observation you made sleepermax. I would never have thought of those details myself. Btw, what is the collector on the Y-pipe ? Is it the part where the 2 pipes from the headers meet ?
That's it. Most people are of the opinion that this is the major source of restriction on the stock y-pipe.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

You may have a point - it looks very good ( I still like Stillen's collector better though). How was the fitment? Any B's in the can sound? Do you have a pic of the inside of the flex section? You's is Cali spec correct? By the way here are some pic's of the Warpspeed: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....07#post1967418
Thanks for the pics and yes, I'm cali spec. The WS pipe looks good and looks very similar to the budget. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the inside of the pipe. As far as fitment, no problems there at all (perfect fit) and no bees sound. So given all information we have here (pics of the design, dyno, price) which one would you vote "best bang for the buck"?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Thanks for the pics and yes, I'm cali spec. The WS pipe looks good and looks very similar to the budget. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the inside of the pipe. As far as fitment, no problems there at all (perfect fit) and no bees sound. So given all information we have here (pics of the design, dyno, price) which one would you vote "best bang for the buck"?
Couldn't say - I'd really want to see the inside of the flex and what the lining lokked like. But assuming the flex was OK and assuming shipping to the US was not exorbitant, then I'd have to consider Budget. Do they come with gaskets?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Jer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

They come with everything needed to install.

Beware of WSP.. Dallas isn't a very good businessman.

Couldn't say - I'd really want to see the inside of the flex and what the lining lokked like. But assuming the flex was OK and assuming shipping to the US was not exorbitant, then I'd have to consider Budget. Do they come with gaskets?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

The flex does not have the inner SS braid (like the old cattman and stillen pipes - BTW, I previously had a cattman with the collapsing flex, see my homepage) but rather has the "concentric circles appearance" (if you've seen flexes before you'll know what I'm talking about). It's pretty sturdy and there's no way that flex section is going to collapse. The price I got it for was US$160 shipped (Florida) and it did come with gaskets. One thing though, the packaging was not pretty. They simply wrapped the pipe with bubblewrap and taped it up (about 5 layers of it) and was a b!tch to cut off (took me about 10 minutes to get it off).
Old 04-26-2003, 10:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

The flex does not have the inner SS braid (like the old cattman and stillen pipes - BTW, I previously had a cattman with the collapsing flex, see my homepage) but rather has the "concentric circles appearance" (if you've seen flexes before you'll know what I'm talking about). It's pretty sturdy and there's no way that flex section is going to collapse. The price I got it for was US$160 shipped (Florida) and it did come with gaskets. One thing though, the packaging was not pretty. They simply wrapped the pipe with bubblewrap and taped it up (about 5 layers of it) and was a b!tch to cut off (took me about 10 minutes to get it off).
Sounds like a good deal. I wonder why they haven't been talked about more here on the Org?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe decision

Sounds like a good deal. I wonder why they haven't been talked about more here on the Org?
There has actually been several discussions regarding Budget pipe. You can search to see for yourself.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:33 AM

How easy/difficult is it to install the Y-pipe? Is it a DIY job, or would you need to have a shop do it? Are there any write ups on this?
Old 04-27-2003, 12:55 AM

How much louder are the aftermarket y-pipes?

Thanks, T
Old 04-27-2003, 05:26 PM

So is there any benefit of getting a warpspeed over a budget. Does the welding matter like if its tig or mandrel(is this right). Looking at getting this tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:05 AM

So is there any benefit of getting a warpspeed over a budget. Does the welding matter like if its tig or mandrel(is this right). Looking at getting this tomorrow.
For me the price was the key because if one was to compare the power gains from each one of the available Y pipe brands, I would hazard a guess that the difference would be within 2 hp, if any. Also,

1) the material used (stainless steel) is the same on all except for the stillen which is not SS
2) the workmanship looks similar on all
3) fitment is good on all (based on feedback I've seen here on the forums).

So with the Cattman at $350 + shipping, Stillen at $329 + shipping, Warpspeed at $275 + shipping and the Budget at $160 - $170 shipped (depending on exchange rates) I opted for the budget because of the significant price difference between the budget and the rest. However, everybody has their own reasons for purchasing something so your decision is ultimately up to you.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:28 AM

Yeah warpspeed shows a picture of the budget on their website showing how "bad" it is and all. They claim 6hp and .8 torque increase over competetors. SO is it worth spending 100 dollars more for 6hp, if what they claim is true. They due have dyno's showing this.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:28 PM

Yeah warpspeed shows a picture of the budget on their website showing how "bad" it is and all. They claim 6hp and .8 torque increase over competetors. SO is it worth spending 100 dollars more for 6hp, if what they claim is true. They due have dyno's showing this.
That comparo was not with a 5th gen (it was a 1993 VE) and I think it was a cattman pipe not budget. I haven't seen a comparo between WS and budget (4th or 5th gen) so I don't know if there is any difference in power gains between the two. I know at one time, budget used to do pressure or crush bends. However they've changed their setup about a year and a half ago (+- a few months) when they started to offer mandrel bends on their pipes. So, that dyno does not represent a true disparity between the two brands, if any exists that is.

Oh, and for your hypothetical question, yes I would spend $100 more if the 6hp was proven to be true.

EDITED: Confirmation, it was a jethot coated CATTMAN pipe in the comparison. Here is the thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....warpspeed+dyno