5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

No one wants to cut my spare key

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:20 PM

No one wants to cut my spare key

I bought an Aniversary key from e-bay about a year ago. I finally got around to asking the dealer to cut and program it, but they don't want to cut it because it is an "expensive key." True, it is an expensive key but I don't see why they wouldn't want to cut it. I would have thought that this is a procedure that the dealer does often, regarless of wether it is a regular maxima key or AE key. I tried wal-mart and another place to see if they would cut the key and they don't want to touch it either. Anyone experience this with a regular key or AE key. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: No one wants to cut my spare key

Originally posted by Menacer
I bought an Aniversary key from e-bay about a year ago. I finally got around to asking the dealer to cut and program it, but they don't want to cut it because it is an "expensive key." True, it is an expensive key but I don't see why they wouldn't want to cut it. I would have thought that this is a procedure that the dealer does often, regarless of wether it is a regular maxima key or AE key. I tried wal-mart and another place to see if they would cut the key and they don't want to touch it either. Anyone experience this with a regular key or AE key. Thanks.

Dude... that sucks. I've never heard of that. Why can't they just do their job...!

Old 04-30-2003, 07:37 AM
jjs

Have you tried any other dealerships? I don't see what these guys are on to think they can't cut that key.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:23 AM

Re: Re: No one wants to cut my spare key

Originally posted by jjs

Have you tried any other dealerships? I don't see what these guys are on to think they can't cut that key.
I am going to try another dealership but the one that I went to is close to the one I work at so it would ahve been convinient. I was just wondering if anyone else went throught something like this.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:37 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: No one wants to cut my spare key

I am going to try another dealership but the one that I went to is close to the one I work at so it would ahve been convinient. I was just wondering if anyone else went throught something like this.
Haven't had the need at this point, but I would be interested to find out how much hassle you end up going through to finally get it done.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DONT get it cut at Wal-mart. They can not cut the key correctly. I wanted to get a spare made so I can get into the car incase I lock myself out. Well they couldnt cut a good enough copy from a 3rd gen style key. They are the same except we got the chip in ours. I took mine to the dealer because they had to hook up the computer to program the key. When u do get ur key cut you have to send in all your keys that belong to the car, because they have to reprogram them all. Dont ask me why, but they do. 70bucks though is the only prob. but I love my aniversary key though

Old 04-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

i used to work for Mail Boxes Etc and I used to cut car keys.... about 50% of the keys we cut for cars didnt work.

I think they just dont want to take responsibility into screwing up expensive key..
Old 05-01-2003, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by killer2002SE
i used to work for Mail Boxes Etc and I used to cut car keys.... about 50% of the keys we cut for cars didnt work.

I think they just dont want to take responsibility into screwing up expensive key..
I understand that but I thought the dealer would be able to have it cut, basically I was expecting them to have a more precise machine to cut keys than say wal-mart or a hardware store. I will just have to keep looking around and hope that I am the 50% that has had the key work.