5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lost Massive Torque *GAB MOD*

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 06:53 PM

Lost Massive Torque *GAB MOD*

I performed the GAB mod today, And i must say that I lost alot of low end torque. The high end is ok. But my car doesnt really start pulling until almost 5,000 rpms, when my car stock would pull at 4,000 rpms. Does anyone know how much the stock filter holder costs?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:20 PM

what exactly is the GAB Mod? is it ghetto air box? just taking a guess
Old 05-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

GAB= Gay airbox mod?

Damn guys, if you can afford to drive a maxima, you can afford a proper intake right?

ED
Old 05-05-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by MaximaSe2002

yea thats it
Old 05-05-2003, 07:33 PM

hey did you just open cut the top of the airbox, or do the tubing/scoop to the bottom of the intake also?
i am planning on doing this soon...
it seems you are the first negative feedback on it

oh yea, MiniRX7...i have the frankencar right now, but if GAB gives more power, than thats what i want, im not gonna be entering any cars shows so juss gimme the power
Old 05-05-2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
hey did you just open cut the top of the airbox, or do the tubing/scoop to the bottom of the intake also?
i am planning on doing this soon...
it seems you are the first negative feedback on it

oh yea, MiniRX7...i have the frankencar right now, but if GAB gives more power, than thats what i want, im not gonna be entering any cars shows so juss gimme the power
I just did the top piece.. I bought the tubing, but i have decided not to put it on. I want my low end torque back..
Old 05-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MiniRX7
GAB= Gay airbox mod?

Damn guys, if you can afford to drive a maxima, you can afford a proper intake right?

ED
Its not the money that makes the decsion to go with the GAB mod. Its because it works. I dont know why he lost so much torque, it does not make sense. I have said this many times and ill say it again. I have seen a 2k2 auto run several 15.0 runs at the track 4 to be exact back to back. When he switched out to the GAB he ran 3 passes at 14.7 at 3-4mph faster traps and once hit a 14.6. That was his 1st time at the track so you know it can be improved on. I personally have not tried the GAB mod but am willing to give it a show when I get my 03 6spd but I have seen the proof at the track. The times were faster and the traps were higher, the #'s dont lie man. Belive me if you will, if you dont then what do I care but this is what I saw at the track. Thats my .02 on the matter.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by MaXBoost03_SE

I just did the top piece.. I bought the tubing, but i have decided not to put it on. I want my low end torque back..
Dude that just does not make any sense. Im not calling you a liar im just confused. Ive seen/heard nothin but good results about the GAB from day 1. This is the 1st time ive heard of this.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Re: Lost Massive Torque *GAB MOD*

I performed the GAB mod today, And i must say that I lost alot of low end torque. The high end is ok. But my car doesnt really start pulling until almost 5,000 rpms, when my car stock would pull at 4,000 rpms. Does anyone know how much the stock filter holder costs?
My dealer said a new filter holder was $87.

I just put my K&N filter in without the holder (I didn't want to cut it up just yet) and held the filter in place with 2 pieces of coat hangar wire. Wedged one at the top and one at the bottom. Sorry, no pics.

I did not cut the elbow and add the hose yet either.

I haven't noticed any loss of low end torque. Not sure what gains were achieved, but it growles a bit more above 4000RPM and seems to pull more than stock.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

That's impossible. All you are doing is exposing your stock filter to more airflow. There is no way that you would lose torque, ESPECIALLY since you didn't add on the piping.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:08 PM

Ask you dealer or if you know some1 that works there by some chance to advance you timing to 17 BTDC. Its not the biggest diff in the world but I just had mine dont two yesterday and I can honestly say it pulls with less effort then be4. Basically an increase that can be detected only by the person who has been driving it since day one. Some say it works some say they dont feel a thing. I know Ed/MiniRX7 had this done but dont recall on what his results were. I know the 3.5 holds the timing up to only 3K but 95% of the time on the street your under 3k (hopefully anyway)
Old 05-05-2003, 08:13 PM

Try resetting your ECU..

If that doesn't help, cover the cutout up with duct tape and see if it feels powerful (normal) once again...

Maybe you knocked something loose?? *shrug*

All I know is 100+ people can't be wrong...

GO GAB!!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:13 PM

my auto ran a 14.6 with the jwt pop charger and i personaly would much rather have that then do the GAB but thats just me
Old 05-05-2003, 08:18 PM

my auto ran a 14.6 with the jwt pop charger and i personaly would much rather have that then do the GAB but thats just me
And thats fine man, its your car do as you wish with it. I have the frankencar in mine with the stillen pop charger filter and Im happy with that BUT when I get an 03 I am gonna do a stock dyno run and a run with the frankencar and one with the GAB as well as track testing. My eyes can not be lying, like I said I saw an ET decrease .3-4 and increase 3-4mph.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:23 PM

Re: Re: Lost Massive Torque *GAB MOD*

Originally posted by Bluesbrekr

My dealer said a new filter holder was $87.

I just put my K&N filter in without the holder (I didn't want to cut it up just yet) and held the filter in place with 2 pieces of coat hangar wire. Wedged one at the top and one at the bottom. Sorry, no pics.

I did not cut the elbow and add the hose yet either.

I haven't noticed any loss of low end torque. Not sure what gains were achieved, but it growles a bit more above 4000RPM and seems to pull more than stock.

HAHAHHA AWESOME!!! I DID THAT!!!

Needless to say I did run 14.6-14.7 that night also around 93-94 mph

Now im OWNED by this nagging SEL problem DTC P0507 (dealer says air intake leak?!?!?!)}
Old 05-05-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by MiniRX7
GAB= Gay airbox mod?

ED
Nuff said.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Greek to the Max

Nuff said.
Do Not Judge, what you have not tried.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:38 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by Greek to the Max

Nuff said.
The GAB mod has been dyno and track proven to outperform WAIs and CAIs.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Lost Massive Torque *GAB MOD*

Originally posted by 02MaximaSE

HAHAHHA AWESOME!!! I DID THAT!!!

Needless to say I did run 14.6-14.7 that night also around 93-94 mph

Now im OWNED by this nagging SEL problem DTC P0507 (dealer says air intake leak?!?!?!)}
anybody else w/ GAB have this problem?
going from franken to GAB i would like to get rid of my SES light, not keep ittttt
Old 05-05-2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by asu174

The GAB mod has been dyno and track proven to outperform WAIs and CAIs.
I could probably say that i gained horsepower, cause after 5,000 rpms, the car just flies, but the low end torque is no longer there, even my fiance noticed the torque loss. Shes usually pinned in her seat when i gun it.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:48 PM

I could probably say that i gained horsepower, cause after 5,000 rpms, the car just flies, but the low end torque is no longer there, even my fiance noticed the torque loss. Shes usually pinned in her seat when i gun it.
Wow, your fiance lets you gun it without yelling at you or smacking you? Thats a keeper On a more serious note, this is just totally unheard of. Like I posted be4 ive seen a car gain .4 in the 1/4mile and 4mph from this mod. Just the top half being cut open with the addition of a K&N flat panel filter. Ive driven asu174's car be4 and after the GAB and I can definetly say there is a differance and he only has the top part cut open with a panel K&N as well. Did you by any chance leave the Air temp sensor unplugged? That makes the car run rich last I remember. Did you double check everything to make sure everything is tight? Like I said im not calling you a liar its just that its odd that 100 poeple gain nothing but power w/o any loss on an idetical car and you lost in the low end. My first suspition would be that a mistake was made on your part. You basically are letting in more air and a normal intake would do the same exact thing, let in more air regardless of rpms. Something else has to be the problem.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:51 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Maybe one or both of you have gained weight?

I notice a HUGE difference with a passenger.

BTW, if the top of the filter is removed you are drawing in HOT air from under the hood, which WILL cause a loss in torque. However, at what speed/airflow that torque loss is overcome is a mystery.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE

Do Not Judge, what you have not tried.
Seriously, this guy and MiniRX7 are just ghetto air box haters. If I had a choice of the performance I get from the GAB and spending 100 plus on the frankencar or injen and getting not quite the same performance, even the same performance, not worth it. Of course I subscribe to the theory of bang for the buck, not as many bucks as possible. If I subscribed to that theory I'd sell the max and get that new Volvo S60-R or something along those lines. Jeez, if some people are so into spending the dough, just give some to me, I can always use it
Old 05-05-2003, 11:37 PM

HAHAHA>. dude i am the cheapest **** on the block...

I never knew the GAY AIRBOX MOD would outperform WAI and CAI>.. I don't see how this could be, considering you are still using the stock intake plumbing.. I thought the smoothing out of air flow with the intake pipes would benefit intake air velocity (no ripples)...

Plus, is it because the panel K&N filters or whatever filters you guys use has more surface area??

Still, i would say the difference between any intake mod or WAI or CAI gains would be minimal at best.... however would be a modification over stock... I just believe with a nice engine bay of a 2k2 maxima or 2k3, why would you want it to look horrible under the hood for a few ponies...

Sorry, for being a hater..

ED
Old 05-05-2003, 11:52 PM

The flat panel does actually have more surface area but not by a large volume. No its not the best looking intake, I cant argue with you on that but from what ive seen it does work and it works well. Dave/2K2_6spd works at a dyno and from what he has seen it puts down more whp then the frankencar does. Its not nearly as loud and the scoop in front of the engine bay directs the air to the filter pretty well as does a 3" dryer exhaust (this is why its ghetto) goin to the splash guard to from somewhat of a ramair setup. From a roll it will definetly prove to be better then any WAI, looks like at the track the results are the same. Look at what SR is doing. He made a ported airbox with parts he bought at lowes. It gives the power back but has no noise increase and is very stealth if you need to go to the dealer or are into the sleeper thing.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:08 AM

How much more power, i cannot see how this mod can give you that much power over any other WAI or CAI..

ED
Old 05-06-2003, 12:33 AM

This outperforms the Frankencar and the Injen CAI. I've had all three and the GAB is definitely the best.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lost Massive Torque *GAB MOD*

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g

anybody else w/ GAB have this problem?
going from franken to GAB i would like to get rid of my SES light, not keep ittttt
Yo dude, I also lost some serious torque. I like the GAB big time.
BUT...when I did the ghetto airbox...I didn't put the tubing....just removed the elbow peice. So could that be the problem?

It seemed as if when I just removed the elbow joint I revieved better low end performance than stock and GAB. The mid and top rpm range still got a kick, just not as much as GAB.

But when the GAB is in, it feels best mid to top rpm performance (driving at around 80mph I can jump quickly to 113mph no sweat), but loss of low end performance - feels like my old four banger 1990 sentra...press on the gas and all it makes is noise.

At least both beat stock.

Old 05-06-2003, 04:41 AM
Blu
the tits

I know that the GAB gains over stock but there is no way it will give everybody 3-4 tenths and 4 mph gain in the 1320'. Thats adding like 30-40whp and no way in hell the GAB does that. Also who has dynoed the same day at the same dyno with a pop intake and a GAB. If the gain is less than 3-4whp than its just the difference in one run to the other. I would like to see 2-3 runs with a frankencar setup and 2-3 runs with the GAB setup to prove that this mod is superior over a hybrid. If it showed to be 4-5whp more over each run than the hybrid I would switch mine out asap. Hitman Im not saying him gaining 4mph over the stock isn't possible but something had to be wrong for him to gain that much after switching out the airbox. Now if I had the extra time and money I would do this and dyno 3 runs with the GAB and 3 runs with the hybrid but I really don't. If someone steps up and does this more power too you if not nothing really lost here. Well Im tired of typing Later

Matt
Old 05-06-2003, 07:54 AM

I dont know Matt, that 2K2 was an auto so I know it wasnt that he learned how to shift it after a few runs. As I said he ran 4 15sec passes but after the switch he ran 14.7's and one 14.6 Im not saying it gave him 30-40whp thats impossible from an intake unless your boosted or something. Maybe he started to brake torque it after that I didnt ask, but the mph was definetly higher after the mod. I dont know who will do 3 back to back runs of each setup. It would be easiest for Dave since he works at a dyno, but Im not gonna tell him go do 6 runs for us. I have the hybrid right now and im gonna leave this for the time being til I get the 6spd. You have some good points though.

ChromeSE5: Leave the scoop in to direct the air to the box.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Blu
the tits

I dont know Matt, that 2K2 was an auto so I know it wasnt that he learned how to shift it after a few runs. As I said he ran 4 15sec passes but after the switch he ran 14.7's and one 14.6 Im not saying it gave him 30-40whp thats impossible from an intake unless your boosted or something. Maybe he started to brake torque it after that I didnt ask, but the mph was definetly higher after the mod. I dont know who will do 3 back to back runs of each setup. It would be easiest for Dave since he works at a dyno, but Im not gonna tell him go do 6 runs for us. I have the hybrid right now and im gonna leave this for the time being til I get the 6spd. You have some good points though.

Old 05-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I've got to agree, dropping .3-.4 and gaining 3-4mph from an intake ALONE is impossible, but I don't doubt it happened. I think what happened was the driver and traction got better. If I could see a comparison of the best stock timeslip vs the best GAB timeslip, it would answer a ton of questions here.

As for the GAB loosing torque, it's not possible. Us 4th geners have been doing this mod for years now (aka the "hacked airbox"). My current best with my hacked airbox is a 14.4 at nearly 100mph. I've swapped between my hacked airbox and HKS hybrid intake many times and the hacked airbox feels better. Better lowend, better tip-in, better sound, etc. I've dynoed with my completely stock airbox (no cuts), K&N panel, and no resonators. We called this the OSCAI or the Poorman's CAI. On the dyno, this intake made the SAME EXACT PEAK POWER as my HKS hybrid intake from 2000-5500rpms. Only from 5500-6500rpms did the HKS make any extra power (2-5fwhp). With the hacked/GAB intake, I can only assume the setup can breath better and will perform much like the hybrids on the upper rpms.

MaxBoost really isn't loosing any torque, instead he loosing the stock intake's ability to pressurize the piping and keep lowend power delivery smooth and strong. The resonators, especially the one under the battery tray, pressurize and store air so that when you tip into the throttle a whallop of snappy power is delivered. I've noticed this when running with the stock airbox and hacked airbox. When you cut the airbox and remove the resonators, you loose the pressurization so you end up loosing some of that tip-in snappiness. What you do end up gaining is better upper rpm performance past 5000rpms and overall better or equal WOT power from idle to 5000rpms.

If MaxBoost and other non-believers think that the cone/hybrids offer better torque and power delivery, they're wrong. The cone/hybrid intakes feel REALLY soft in the lower rpms. Tip-in acceleration is even worse and upper rpm acceleration is no better. When things get hot under the hood, the cone/hybrids can be very slow in around town driving. The truth is the stock Maxima intake piping and airbox, especially the 5th gens, actually flows really well. The GAB mod just ends up adding a little more breathing ability while still keeping the stock intakes fresh air ducts.

Dave
Old 05-06-2003, 09:13 AM

nicely worded Dave
Old 05-06-2003, 09:49 AM

GAB=Goonie Air Box mod.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by realtor

GAB=Goonie Air Box mod.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:10 AM

Old 05-06-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
I've got to agree, dropping .3-.4 and gaining 3-4mph from an intake ALONE is impossible, but I don't doubt it happened. I think what happened was the driver and traction got better. If I could see a comparison of the best stock timeslip vs the best GAB timeslip, it would answer a ton of questions here.

As for the GAB loosing torque, it's not possible. Us 4th geners have been doing this mod for years now (aka the "hacked airbox&quot. My current best with my hacked airbox is a 14.4 at nearly 100mph. I've swapped between my hacked airbox and HKS hybrid intake many times and the hacked airbox feels better. Better lowend, better tip-in, better sound, etc. I've dynoed with my completely stock airbox (no cuts), K&N panel, and no resonators. We called this the OSCAI or the Poorman's CAI. On the dyno, this intake made the SAME EXACT PEAK POWER as my HKS hybrid intake from 2000-5500rpms. Only from 5500-6500rpms did the HKS make any extra power (2-5fwhp). With the hacked/GAB intake, I can only assume the setup can breath better and will perform much like the hybrids on the upper rpms.

MaxBoost really isn't loosing any torque, instead he loosing the stock intake's ability to pressurize the piping and keep lowend power delivery smooth and strong. The resonators, especially the one under the battery tray, pressurize and store air so that when you tip into the throttle a whallop of snappy power is delivered. I've noticed this when running with the stock airbox and hacked airbox. When you cut the airbox and remove the resonators, you loose the pressurization so you end up loosing some of that tip-in snappiness. What you do end up gaining is better upper rpm performance past 5000rpms and overall better or equal WOT power from idle to 5000rpms.

If MaxBoost and other non-believers think that the cone/hybrids offer better torque and power delivery, they're wrong. The cone/hybrid intakes feel REALLY soft in the lower rpms. Tip-in acceleration is even worse and upper rpm acceleration is no better. When things get hot under the hood, the cone/hybrids can be very slow in around town driving. The truth is the stock Maxima intake piping and airbox, especially the 5th gens, actually flows really well. The GAB mod just ends up adding a little more breathing ability while still keeping the stock intakes fresh air ducts.

Dave
Dave, but don't you use midpipe with your hacked airbox? I thought people that were talking about GAB here are not using midpipe?

Stock intake plubming is not that optimal, at least on the 2002 Max. After installing FrankenCar intake, that includes the midpipe, my car just files to the redline. Chirping 3rd gear is a normal occurance right now. I didn't notice any lowend loose as well. I left the front air scoop on and attached a hose at the end of it, so it blows more air towards the filter.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:01 AM

Thanks dude...put the elbow peice back on and sheesh, it made a difference. Torque has now increased over stock and mid range and top end power have also. I am in heaven. Sound is not as loud...but who the f cares when you get more hp. Sweet dudes...thanks.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

As for the GAB loosing torque, it's not possible. Us 4th geners have been doing this mod for years now (aka the "hacked airbox&quot. My current best with my hacked airbox is a 14.4 at nearly 100mph. I've swapped between my hacked airbox and HKS hybrid intake many times and the hacked airbox feels better. Better lowend, better tip-in, better sound, etc. I've dynoed with my completely stock airbox (no cuts), K&N panel, and no resonators. We called this the OSCAI or the Poorman's CAI. On the dyno, this intake made the SAME EXACT PEAK POWER as my HKS hybrid intake from 2000-5500rpms. Only from 5500-6500rpms did the HKS make any extra power (2-5fwhp). With the hacked/GAB intake, I can only assume the setup can breath better and will perform much like the hybrids on the upper rpms.

Dave
VERY nicely PUT. Thanks for clearing things up!
Old 05-08-2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by ChromeSE5

Thanks dude...put the elbow peice back on and sheesh, it made a difference. Torque has now increased over stock and mid range and top end power have also. I am in heaven. Sound is not as loud...but who the f cares when you get more hp. Sweet dudes...thanks.
No prob, enjoy the power for now. you will want more sooner then you think.

Quick Reply: Lost Massive Torque *GAB MOD*