5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Smooth Lease Transition

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Smooth Lease Transition

The lease on my 2K GLE will be up in July. With the 2K4 Maxima not to my liking, I plan to lease an ‘04 Infiniti G35 when they come out in the fall (assuming there's no law against giving one to an old man like me). I called Nissan today, and they agreed to extend my current lease on a month-to-month basis. Furthermore, they indicated I could turn in my Maxima to a local Infiniti dealer and pick up a G35 at that time!

How's that for good service? Now I know that leasing costs more in the long run, but it sure seems to work for me.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:42 AM
jjs

Re: Smooth Lease Transition

Originally posted by Magellan
The lease on my 2K GLE will be up in July. With the 2K4 Maxima not to my liking, I plan to lease an ‘04 Infiniti G35 when they come out in the fall (assuming there's no law against giving one to an old man like me). I called Nissan today, and they agreed to extend my current lease on a month-to-month basis. Furthermore, they indicated I could turn in my Maxima to a local Infiniti dealer and pick up a G35 at that time!

How's that for good service? Now I know that leasing costs more in the long run, but it sure seems to work for me.
They probably are more than happy to do this since they will continue to get $$$$ from you rather than take back a car they don't want to have to bother selling. I don't think this is/was a great favor.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:56 AM

Re: Re: Smooth Lease Transition

Originally posted by jjs

They probably are more than happy to do this since they will continue to get $$$$ from you rather than take back a car they don't want to have to bother selling. I don't think this is/was a great favor.
Ditto. If they can get you to extend it long enough they won't even have to sell the car! I hear you on the leasing though, I made the decision that I don't want to own a car more than 3 years old and when I own a brand new car I'm to paranoid to enjoy it. Leasing is for me as well. The Max will probably be my last buy for a while.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:57 PM
BiggD23

Re: Re: Re: Smooth Lease Transition

Originally posted by spta97

Ditto. If they can get you to extend it long enough they won't even have to sell the car! I hear you on the leasing though, I made the decision that I don't want to own a car more than 3 years old and when I own a brand new car I'm to paranoid to enjoy it. Leasing is for me as well. The Max will probably be my last buy for a while.
Don't you find that it's the same thing with a lease though? My 2003 Max is the first new car I have ever bought, before that I had a 2001 Grand AM GT on a 3 year lease and before that it was always used POS cars. I was just as nervous...probably more nervous...driving around in the leased Grand Am as I am now in my Maxima. The reason being that in the back of my head I know it's not my car and I know that I have to bring it back to somebody and have them inspect it before I can get out of it. So any damage done is going to come out of my pocket at the end of the lease. I didn't let anyone so much as eat, drink or light a cigarette in my leased Grand Am for fear of stains or burns and what they would cost me in the end. Then you get into the whole limited mileage thing and how much it will cost you if you go over. There were actually times towards the end of my lease that I wanted to go places and didn't because I didn't want to put the extra miles on the car. LOL, it's a sad thing when you spend about $350 a month leasing a car and then have to think twice before driving it. I guess it's just a matter of how you look at it, but for me the fear and paranoia of driving a new car goes away after a few months. But I was paranoid about the leased car all the way up until I turned it in and received that letter in the mail saying that the car was acceptable and the lease was 100% done and terminated.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:07 PM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Smooth Lease Transition

Originally posted by spta97

see....leasing is all well and good for the "older" buyer who doesn't want to mod their car, doesn't care that it isn't theirs and wants a new car every 2-3 years without having to worry about repairs and whatnot....

now if you lease and car and then mod it, and then turn it back at the end, you are wasting $$$....

think of a lease as an extended rental....you get charged for excess mileage and wear and tear....

to me, I'd rather own my car, at least have a piece of mind knowing that this car is mine, I can do whatever I want to it, put however many miles I want to on it, and then worry about selling it when I get bored of it....

Old 05-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Boost.....

Sweet.....congrats Maggie.

Just remember..it's the pedal on the right Grand'pa.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp
Sweet.....congrats Maggie.

Just remember..it's the pedal on the right Grand'pa.
NOW you tell me. I was wondering why it wouldn't move this past month.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Smooth Lease Transition

Originally posted by BiggD23

Don't you find that it's the same thing with a lease though? My 2003 Max is the first new car I have ever bought, before that I had a 2001 Grand AM GT on a 3 year lease and before that it was always used POS cars. I was just as nervous...probably more nervous...driving around in the leased Grand Am as I am now in my Maxima. The reason being that in the back of my head I know it's not my car and I know that I have to bring it back to somebody and have them inspect it before I can get out of it. So any damage done is going to come out of my pocket at the end of the lease. I didn't let anyone so much as eat, drink or light a cigarette in my leased Grand Am for fear of stains or burns and what they would cost me in the end. Then you get into the whole limited mileage thing and how much it will cost you if you go over. There were actually times towards the end of my lease that I wanted to go places and didn't because I didn't want to put the extra miles on the car. LOL, it's a sad thing when you spend about $350 a month leasing a car and then have to think twice before driving it. I guess it's just a matter of how you look at it, but for me the fear and paranoia of driving a new car goes away after a few months. But I was paranoid about the leased car all the way up until I turned it in and received that letter in the mail saying that the car was acceptable and the lease was 100% done and terminated.
Actually, with my last lease it was the opposite. Anytime something happened I was like "F-it, it's going back in a few years." I did have some body damage and when I got it fixed at the shop I told the guy "It's a lease, cheap is you can fix it"

Also, I never drive. I've had my Max since September of 02 and I've driven about 2,700 miles. On my old Durango lease I had about 7000 miles extra to go. My next lease, I'm thinking about a "Low mileage" option like 10k per year.

Financially, leasing doesn't make sense. However, my situation it seems to.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Smooth Lease Transition

Originally posted by BiggD23

Actually, with my last lease it was the opposite. Anytime something happened I was like "F-it, it's going back in a few years." I did have some body damage and when I got it fixed at the shop I told the guy "It's a lease, cheap is you can fix it"

Also, I never drive. I've had my Max since September of 02 and I've driven about 2,700 miles. On my old Durango lease I had about 7000 miles extra to go. My next lease, I'm thinking about a "Low mileage" option like 10k per year.

Financially, leasing doesn't make sense. However, my situation it seems to.

Oh, and I did have a stereo system in there that I pulled out and returned to stock (along with the alarm) when I turned it in. They guys didn't even start the car to check it out!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:31 AM
Boost.....

Originally posted by Magellan
NOW you tell me. I was wondering why it wouldn't move this past month.

I don't think you will have that problem with the G.