5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

maxspeeds and oem struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 06:11 AM

maxspeeds and oem struts

is it not recommended to have this set up on a new 2003...i just dont feel like puttin out money on some struts now..i will eventually;...like when my struts are blown off. but anyone else running this set up now and havin problems? or anyone had this set up
Old 05-07-2003, 06:44 AM

There are an awful lot of people (me included) running with maxspeeds and other springs on stock struts, hasn't hurt me yet I am a 2k1 though.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jakester
There are an awful lot of people (me included) running with maxspeeds and other springs on stock struts, hasn't hurt me yet I am a 2k1 though.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:56 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

Originally posted by BlkMaXinMD
is it not recommended to have this set up on a new 2003...i just dont feel like puttin out money on some struts now..i will eventually;...like when my struts are blown off. but anyone else running this set up now and havin problems? or anyone had this set up
if ur paying for labor to install, why not do it all together and save urself some $$$.... if u do springs now, struts later u pay double labor!

Old 05-07-2003, 07:33 AM

I have this setup. I also chopped a coil off. Still no blown struts and i've had them on for about 6 months.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:59 AM

Do you have an SE? If so it is ok but not preferable ofcourse.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:00 AM

Re: Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

Originally posted by Maximam

Do you have an SE? If so it is ok but not preferable ofcourse.
Why, does the SE (mine a '00) actually come with better, if not only stiffer, fact struts? Also, do the Maxspeeds lower differently for '00-01 and '02-03? My '00 is at 33K now.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:22 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

if ur paying for labor to install, why not do it all together and save urself some $$$.... if u do springs now, struts later u pay double labor!
How about "since it's going to be up on the lift now would be a good time to throw on the chromed-out 20s."

When struts cost over $300 it completely changes the game. It's probably $300 the guy doesn't have to spend (like me) and if I can get 10k miles on stock struts I made a good choice.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

Originally posted by aongch

Why, does the SE (mine a '00) actually come with better, if not only stiffer, fact struts? Also, do the Maxspeeds lower differently for '00-01 and '02-03? My '00 is at 33K now.
Yes, SE cars have stiffer struts. Maxspeeds are the same for 5th gens. Your car has been on the road for about 4 years now, how are your struts?
Old 05-07-2003, 11:12 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
How about "since it's going to be up on the lift now would be a good time to throw on the chromed-out 20s."

When struts cost over $300 it completely changes the game. It's probably $300 the guy doesn't have to spend (like me) and if I can get 10k miles on stock struts I made a good choice.
hey..do whatever works for you....when I do something, I do it once and I try to do it right.....

I'd rather dump $300 now on struts then kill TWO DAYS off getting the car done twice, spend for TWO TIMES labor when in the end I saved more $$$ going the whole route the first time....

but hey, why save money when you can waste it doing it twice??

Old 05-07-2003, 11:24 AM

I've had the maxspeeds on my 2k2 for 4 months now...stock struts, no problems.

HOWEVER, I am getting a grinding sound when I crank the wheel all the way over to either side and turn...what the hell is that? I already had the fix done on the front tab thingys...if anyone has any idea what this might be, send me a private message.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:55 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

hey..do whatever works for you....when I do something, I do it once and I try to do it right.....

I'd rather dump $300 now on struts then kill TWO DAYS off getting the car done twice, spend for TWO TIMES labor when in the end I saved more $$$ going the whole route the first time....

but hey, why save money when you can waste it doing it twice??
and you're also throwing away perfectly good struts.

first:
Plenty of people have made it over 20k miles with maxspeeds and stock struts so apparently when you do something you also waste money.

second:
If he's got the springs and doesn't have another $300 for struts, is he supposed to keep them in the box until he saves the money? What if he's only able to put away $30/month... he's going to wait a year to put them on? You're only thinking of your situation... try to put yourself in someone else's shoes.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:02 PM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
and you're also throwing away perfectly good struts.

first:
Plenty of people have made it over 20k miles with maxspeeds and stock struts so apparently when you do something you also waste money.

second:
If he's got the springs and doesn't have another $300 for struts, is he supposed to keep them in the box until he saves the money? What if he's only able to put away $30/month... he's going to wait a year to put them on? You're only thinking of your situation... try to put yourself in someone else's shoes.
simple solution: don't buy anything until you can do it ALL AT ONCE!!!

or, if there's such a hot deal going on, buy it now, hold it till u can do the rest....

As for me, I've thrown away NOTHING!!! I have OEM struts/springs sitting infront of my car in the garage alongside the OEM grill and intake

Old 05-07-2003, 12:12 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

simple solution: don't buy anything until you can do it ALL AT ONCE!!!
but ALL AT ONCE includes using maxspeeds on stock struts, as many others have done for over 20k miles with no problems. This year's suspension mod, springs. Next year, struts. I'll see how far the stock struts go.

BlkMaXinMD, you can install just the springs. A few have failed at less than 5k miles, many have made it over 15k miles and are still going.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:21 PM

The stock struts won't cause a problem, they will cause bad handling IMO.

DrVolkl: You need to adjust your stops, the wheels may be turning to far causing them to rub. It is a bolt next to the spindle, adjust it out.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:56 PM

No problems with maxspeeds and SE struts over a year and 15K.

Since the install cost me $0 I did not replace the SE struts. I'm waiting for 5th gen adjustables. I have autoXed the car and it handles well.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: maxspeeds and oem struts

Originally posted by Maximam

Yes, SE cars have stiffer struts. Maxspeeds are the same for 5th gens. Your car has been on the road for about 4 years now, how are your struts?
With relatively few miles, and mostly flat commutes (except for those off camber on/offramps ) they are still fine. Of course, the floaty feel of the stock setup is not getting any better. Had to do an avoidance the other day on the fwy - someone quickly merging into my lane - the yank of the wheel produced some scary 'floats' even on great Yokos on 17x8 EVO-5s! So, RSB/Maxspeed/GR-2 planned soon
Old 05-07-2003, 05:18 PM

well i just got in on the maxspeed GD and i'm putting on the springs with the stock struts because as of right now i don't have the money for the struts and because i'm a very impatient person i'm puting them on as soon as i get them. and then later on down the road i'll do the struts. and by the way "theMax" what kind of plane is that behind your car? its pretty cool looking
Old 05-07-2003, 06:55 PM

well it is a 2003 SE and i had a 2002 gxe before and the ride on a SE is so much stiffer and better...and as for labor my dad has a shop and a spring compressor machine so the job itself will only take me an hour at hte most.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 PM

well it is a 2003 SE
OK you are good to go. The SE has much better struts than the GXE/GLE. You will love the ride!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by theMax
No problems with maxspeeds and SE struts over a year and 15K.

Since the install cost me $0 I did not replace the SE struts. I'm waiting for 5th gen adjustables. I have autoXed the car and it handles well.
theMax... DUDE... your car is beautiful and that picture ROCKS!