5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Added a spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 08:25 AM

Added a spoiler

I just picked up a used 02 GLE. While I was waiting for the title to come in my dealer added a spoiler for me. The spoiler he added looks pretty close to an OEM spoiler which has the third brake light in it. My problem is the third brake light in the rear deck still works and lights up. Now I have that light and the light in the spoiler going off.

I would like to remove the third light from the back deck completly, problem here is there would be a huge hole there.

The next best option I guess would be to remove the light bulb, I have done this and now anytime I hit the brakes I get a dummy light turning on in the dash telling me a I have a light out.

Any one have any ideas on what I can do here?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2003, 08:29 AM
NT2SHBBY

They sell a piece that either fits over the existing brake light or it covers the whole in the rear deck...can't remember which.....you could also replace the whole decklid with an SE one of same color....check your dealership parts counter or www.courtesyparts.com or call up Dave Burnette 888-254-6060 tell him ur from here

Old 05-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it is a small cover it costs like $25 @ your dealer! I did it it looks good! if you don't have tints yoiu may want the whole deck depending on $
Old 05-10-2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Maxima-2
it is a small cover it costs like $25 @ your dealer! I did it it looks good! if you don't have tints yoiu may want the whole deck depending on $
Does the cover cover the hole left by removing the light or does the cover you are talking about cover the light so it can't be seen when you hit the brakes?
Old 05-11-2003, 11:02 PM
scopium

um... yea i got a spoiler on mine and i had the same prob.. i took the brake light out (the whole thing) and since i didnt want to pay freakin 125 to get a new carpetting i got the same color carpeting and put it on their .... it looks clean

Old 05-12-2003, 06:15 AM

The brake light cover will cover the hole left by removing the brake light. I added a aftermarket spoiler to my Altima and The redundant rear deck brake light looks tacky to me. Get rid of it. You can by the brake cover and simply take you car to a Custom car company or a body shop if you are not mechanically included have them rewire your brake line so that the spoiler lights up with out the damn bulb warning light coming on.

The modds shouldn't cost you more than $70 total. If I remember correctly the dealer ship removed my rear brake lid for $30.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:46 AM

My 2K3 was prewired for the spoiler light. The previous owner had one installed and the installer just tapped into the wires under the decklid cover. I have seen GLE's on the lot with the flat cover in place of the rear window stop light. It looks good and is worth the cash, I will be getting one if I can figure out the next problem.

I too have the problem with my dash light coming on when I disconnected the window light. It's not a wiring issue since the car is prewired for the spoiler and that's the wiring the aftermarket spoiler LED light is using. Either we need something to trick the circuit into thinking the window light bulb is still there or the device(whatever that is) that senses the level of current draw in the brake curcuit needs to be changed to sense a lower current draw since the LED spoiler light draws less current than the standard window light. My temporary fix was to reinstall the bulb and place some aluminum foil behind the red lense to block the light.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by Todds_max
My 2K3 was prewired for the spoiler light. The previous owner had one installed and the installer just tapped into the wires under the decklid cover. I have seen GLE's on the lot with the flat cover in place of the rear window stop light. It looks good and is worth the cash, I will be getting one if I can figure out the next problem.

I too have the problem with my dash light coming on when I disconnected the window light. It's not a wiring issue since the car is prewired for the spoiler and that's the wiring the aftermarket spoiler LED light is using. Either we need something to trick the circuit into thinking the window light bulb is still there or the device(whatever that is) that senses the level of current draw in the brake curcuit needs to be changed to sense a lower current draw since the LED spoiler light draws less current than the standard window light. My temporary fix was to reinstall the bulb and place some aluminum foil behind the red lense to block the light.
I just called my dealer to order the flat cover mentioned in the previous post. He was unable to locate one, anyone know of a specific part number or exactly where one of these covers can be located?
Old 05-13-2003, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by cotaej

I just called my dealer to order the flat cover mentioned in the previous post. He was unable to locate one, anyone know of a specific part number or exactly where one of these covers can be located?
Anyone know of this part???????
Old 05-20-2003, 04:07 PM

I just called and spoke with Dave B, he knew exactly what the plastic cover was and ordered it for me, it was about $24 to have it shipped to my house.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:12 PM

When I installed my spoiler I tapped into the wires in the trunk lid, that were installed there for a spoiler, then pulled the brake light bulb out of the window fixture. I dont get a bulb light warning when I use the brakes. Dont quite understand why some people have that warning light and some dont.