5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Camber Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 03:22 PM
I35

Camber Adjustment on TEIN? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just replaced my set-up from H&R/Tokico blues to Tein/KYB Gr-2. When I took the tires off to replace it with Tein/KYB, I notice that inside of my tires were wearing off much faster than the outer. Now, I did not have alignment done on the H&R/Tokico setup. But, I am going to get camber plate for the fronts to adjust.
I was wondering, what about the back.
1) Can alignment be done on the back suspension, since it is a beam instead of IRS.
2) If so will alignment fix the problem or do I need to get camber plates/bolts for the rear.

What have you guys done, I am sure many of you had the same problem.

Please help....
Old 05-12-2003, 03:48 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

hmm.. i dont know! I have the same Tein/GR2s, but i was holding off on an alignment becuase my car tracks BETTER now than with the stock suspension! i know the front camber is adjustable, but the rear i dont think is. Take it to an alignment place and see what they say...

BTW, please share your thoughts on how much better the Tein/GR2 combo is better than the H&R/Tocrapos. Many people want to hear! Not to mention the drop!

Old 05-12-2003, 11:44 PM
I35

BUMP!!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 04:53 AM
ABS

Using stock parts, neither the front nor the rear suspension is adjustable. With aftermarket parts, you will be able to adjust the front but not the rear. I just had my car aligned (since I lowered it) and the camber was still in spec. I am running KYB GR2 and H&R. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Camber Adjustment on TEIN? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by I35
I just replaced my set-up from H&R/Tokico blues to Tein/KYB Gr-2. When I took the tires off to replace it with Tein/KYB, I notice that inside of my tires were wearing off much faster than the outer. Now, I did not have alignment done on the H&R/Tokico setup.
When you lower a Maxima, the geometry of the suspension makes the front end go toe out. Thats why the inside of your front tires wore out. You must have your car aligned after any part of your suspension is tampered with. Especially after the ride height is changed.

There is no adjustments possible in the rear of the car. The beam setup will not go out of alignment when you lower it.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:42 AM
NT2SHBBY

with my maxspeed/gr-2 combo, the mechanic did a full 4 wheel alignment so yes the backs can be done and IMO should be

my camber looks great all around

Old 05-13-2003, 02:12 PM

Do you know exactly what he did in the rear? I just went out and searched under the car and couldn't find any adjustment points. It's just two wheels setting on a live beam axle. Ride height, in no way, should affect the alignment in the rear.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:20 PM
ABS

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
with my maxspeed/gr-2 combo, the mechanic did a full 4 wheel alignment so yes the backs can be done and IMO should be

my camber looks great all around
In order to properly set the front wheels, the rear really should be measured, however, there is absolutely NO adjustment for the rear available (toe or camber). If your car has an incorrect toe or camber in the rear, your only option is to start replacing parts . . . probably the beam or the hub assembly. Look under your car or at a diagram and you will understand why the rear can not be adjusted.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:20 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by MaxSE03
Do you know exactly what he did in the rear? I just went out and searched under the car and couldn't find any adjustment points. It's just two wheels setting on a live beam axle. Ride height, in no way, should affect the alignment in the rear.
you cant adjust it, i have just been told to think of it as neutraled out in the rear. some shops will say they did a 4 wheel to get a few extra bucks. one way to adjust could be to do some grinding but i cant imagine lowering the car would warrant that kind of work.