5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How do you know when to change shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:15 AM

sorry...something must have happened to my message.

i have ~46k on my 2k max. does anyone know how long the stock ones last? my ride as been less than luxurious. when is it advised to change it?

i called my local nissan and they wanted to do it for $220 front parts, $160 each rear, $550 labor, and $100 4-wheel alignment. freaken unreal...

thanks

btw...my rotors on my max is warped again. can't believe how crappy it is.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:43 AM

that's nuts what they're charging you... get aftermarket shocks for about $300 (for all four).... and get them installed urself... if ur in the atlanta area... a friend of mine will do all four for $80.... then all u need to get is alignment...
Old 05-13-2003, 10:47 AM
NT2SHBBY

struts should last around 60k

Old 05-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by HIDManic

i have ~46k on my 2k max. does anyone know how long the stock ones last? my ride as been less than luxurious. when is it advised to change it?

i called my local nissan and they wanted to do it for $220 front parts, $160 each rear, $550 labor, and $100 4-wheel alignment. freaken unreal...

thanks

4 wheel alignment? hahaha It is a two wheel and costs $49.

Get KYB GR2 shocks for $300 all 4!

Yes you need shocks. My car needed shocks the minute I drove it off the floor. My SE is WAY better than my GLE as far a struts/shocks stock for stock. Now my GLE rides VERY nice, firm no bounce and holds the road VERY well.

I need a RSB BAD now! The car still pushes to much.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:03 AM

thanks

You can get KYB GR-2 for 260 Shipped. It's in the group deal forum....
Old 05-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanks

Get KYB GR2s. there is a group deal going right now, $260 for all 4. I changed them myself. You need a friend to help you a spring compressor. You can buy one or rent it a auto store. If you rather have a shop do it. Do not pay over $150. You will have to get an alignment though, but get it at a local shop.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:49 PM

i thought so...screw the nissan dealer!!! first they tried to run a credit check for test driving a car, second...tried to void my a/c blower warranty for pine needles, then...tried to void my rotor/brakes warranty by claiming that i had aftermarket brakes (like...yeah...you're the only guys that have even touch my car), and finally tried to upsell me every service they can think of.

questions...

is the KYB GR2 shocks better than the stock SE struts/shocks? i'm not interested in lowering the car or anything.

i live in the Los angeles area. I would like to have them done before august. anyone who knows of a good one-stop place where i can get it all done at reasonable prices?

thanks guys
Old 05-13-2003, 01:50 PM
NT2SHBBY

kybs are most definitely better than stock..less stiff and less float

Old 05-13-2003, 03:02 PM

i thought so...screw the nissan dealer!!! first they tried to run a credit check for test driving a car, second...tried to void my a/c blower warranty for pine needles, then...tried to void my rotor/brakes warranty by claiming that i had aftermarket brakes (like...yeah...you're the only guys that have even touch my car), and finally tried to upsell me every service they can think of.

questions...

is the KYB GR2 shocks better than the stock SE struts/shocks? i'm not interested in lowering the car or anything.

i live in the Los angeles area. I would like to have them done before august. anyone who knows of a good one-stop place where i can get it all done at reasonable prices?

thanks guys
I'm in the Los Angeles area too, which Nissan dealer do you go to? I got Tokicos on my car, which I don't recommend, they're too soft. I'd like to try the KYB GR2s when I get the cash. I had my Tokicos installed at a local Pep Boys.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by kpark

I'm in the Los Angeles area too, which Nissan dealer do you go to? I got Tokicos on my car, which I don't recommend, they're too soft. I'd like to try the KYB GR2s when I get the cash. I had my Tokicos installed at a local Pep Boys.
wonderies nissan in alhambra. how much did pep boys install it for? i haven't seen a pep boys in a long time.

i'll go for the group deal but i need to source out an autoshop that'll do it reasonably. i'm not apt enough for a DIY on this one.

any recommended autoshops here in the san gabriel valley/los angeles?
Old 05-13-2003, 10:35 PM
† ErV †

4 wheel alignment? hahaha It is a two wheel and costs $49.
this has been discussed before. it is a 4 wheel because they reference the front to the rear and vice versa. anyone who does not do that you do not want to bring your car there.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:25 PM

Anyone???

Anyone who lives in Los Angeles area knows of an autoshop that will install shocks and alignment for a reasonable price?

I guess I'm the only maxima owner in So Cal. I knew I bought a one-of-a-kind car.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
struts should last around 60k
So, are you saying that we should get new shocks (struts) every 60k?
I've never heard of something like that before.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:09 AM
CO2kmax

I had my stock struts and shocks till around 85K. I got GR2's they are alot better. Cheaper also