5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

transmission flush and oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:51 PM
scopium

transmission flush and oil change

anyone know how to tranny flush and oil change
and power steering flush too

Old 05-20-2003, 12:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tranny flush (auto tranny) : drain it, take off the pan, take off the hose to the radiator, start the car to flush our more ATF in the torque convertor. put the hose back, pan back with a new gasket, add ATF....drive around and measure the level of ATF.

oil change - check your user's manual.

powersteering - not sure if you can take off the hose and turn on the engine and pump out the rest of the fluid. I just take off the hose and drain whatever I have in the reservoir. then add new power steering fluid.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:23 AM

Re: transmission flush and oil change

Originally posted by scopium

Not to be mean, but if you have to ask about an oil change you should consider using a shop. If you do decide to do it make sure you have a more mechanically inclined buddy there with you. Either way check the how to section for some pointers.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:30 AM
jttaylor155

I have learned that these are not the easiest cars to work on. So it is not a good car for a beginner to learn on. Learn and get practice on something easier to work on. Until then let someone else work on your Max. I learned on my Jeep Wrangler. There is alot more room to work and very easier for beginners (less electric computer stuff, mostly mechanical). After owning and working on my Jeep for years when I looked under the hood of the Max I was amazed at all the stuff under there!! I can't imagine it being the first car I ever worked on.

Old 05-20-2003, 06:11 AM

Auto transmission is easy, if you are only doing a flush. Take Train Plug off, Let it drain, Then fill through dipstick hole, drive around and check level.

Oil is not hard either, Filter on left side of engine from front behind front right wheel. Take oil cap off engine, drain oil from engine, Remove filter, Reinstall filter, put oil plug back on, Fil 4.3qt of oil.

Power steering is not too hard. You Need 2 People for this job, I will tell you why... Jack front of car in air so both front wheels are in the air. On the power steering bottle, You have 2 lines, One on the bottom, one on the side. The one on the bottom goes to the Rack, the one on the side comes out of the rack and fills into the bottle. Disconnect this line, The one that feeds into the bottle. Get yourself a clear 3/8th rubber pipe that you can stick inside this hose and put it in a clear plastic bottle.. Milk Jar, 2liter bottle of coke or whatever. Now, Get yourself some clean ATF or power steering fluid... This is where the 2nd person comes into play.... Start the car, and turn wheel side to side all the way left, all the way right. As you do this, the oil will flush from the rack into your clear bottle, While you are doing this, make sure you keep topping the bottle in the car so you don't build any bubbles in the system or cause air to get into the system. do this until the plastic bottle goes from Dark Black/red Fluid to Clean fluid. ONce you see steady clean fluid in bottle, The Rack is Flushed. Put all the hoses back the way they were, drive the car, top off as needed. Good Luck
Old 05-20-2003, 11:11 AM

Re: transmission flush and oil change

Don't take those negative comments to heart.. Who has an extra car layin around that they can practice on.. I know I don't.. Usually when a person askes a question that's because they want to learn how to do something.. So the comment about letting someone else do it, won't help you learn for yourself.. You can't learn anything from letting someone else do it.. Just ignore futher comments like these and listen to those who are really trying to help you.. I'm going to change my oil for the first time on Thursday.. I have done alot of research so I shouldn't have a problem.. I'm going over a friend of mines house to do it because he has done oil changes alot.. Besides all the How to help you get on the .org it might be a good idea to have someone there that has done it before.. Sorry for such a long post..
Old 05-20-2003, 11:18 AM
scopium

thank you for the people who actually tried to HELP me

Old 05-20-2003, 11:33 AM
jttaylor155

I was trying to help dam it. I was saying that it might be hard for someone to work on a Max if it was the first time they had worked on a car. Everyone had already helped tell him how to do it so i didnt feel that i needed to. Why is it that someone asks a question and ten people answer the question with the SAME DAM advice. Once is all it takes people. So I was giving different advice. I was just giving some advice before he tackles the project.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:29 PM
scopium

man calm down....its ok

Old 05-20-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by jttaylor155
I was trying to help dam it. I was saying that it might be hard for someone to work on a Max if it was the first time they had worked on a car. Everyone had already helped tell him how to do it so i didnt feel that i needed to. Why is it that someone asks a question and ten people answer the question with the SAME DAM advice. Once is all it takes people. So I was giving different advice. I was just giving some advice before he tackles the project.
People give the same "DAM" advice to help Build confidence for the "DAM" person who needs some "DAM" help. You didn't need to come down soo "DAM" hard on this "DAM" guy who's asking a simple "DAM" question!!!!
Old 05-20-2003, 01:01 PM
jttaylor155

I wasnt coming down on the guy who asked the question just the people that gave the same advice that was already givin then got on to me for giving different advice. I made a valid point. It will be hard to work on a Max if it is the first car you have worked on.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:07 PM
jttaylor155

And if you want to "build confidence" just say "i agree with what he said". it dosent need to be totally said again

Old 05-20-2003, 01:23 PM

thank you for the people who actually tried to HELP me
Scopium :- Here's a link to a writeup I did a few years back on Transmission fluid change. This was for 5spd Though... 5Spd Transmission Fluid Change Writeup
Old 05-20-2003, 01:42 PM
scopium

ok .... thanks to everyone for helping .... specially pioneer