5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 06:09 PM

GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Also where do you guys go to get your GR-2s
Old 06-04-2003, 07:40 PM
Blu
the tits

check the GD forum
Old 06-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Very good combination. Have mine for about six months now. Not sorry for the choice. But remember, suspension mods are a matter of personal preference.

Mike
Old 06-04-2003, 09:41 PM

Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Originally posted by 00MAXI
Also where do you guys go to get your GR-2s
Eibachs tend to be an uneven drop on these cars front to rear. It sux cause I have always used Eibach in the past and have had great luck with them. If you want an even drop go with something else. It's slightly deceiving because the fender lip in the rear makes it appear to be lower in the rear stock--only you don't notice it so much at the stock height. It becomes more appearant when lowered. I would try to find something with a larger drop in the front vs rear by at least a .25" to combat the factory uneveness. I suggest Maxspeeds for less drop for ~$120 shipped, or my buddy has a slightly used set of Sprints (~1.8" drop) for sale in the F/S forum for $115 shipped if you want to go lower. GR2s will be great with most springs.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Originally posted by t56gen3

Eibachs tend to be an uneven drop on these cars front to rear. It sux cause I have always used Eibach in the past and have had great luck with them. If you want an even drop go with something else. It's slightly deceiving because the fender lip in the rear makes it appear to be lower in the rear stock--only you don't notice it so much at the stock height. It becomes more appearant when lowered. I would try to find something with a larger drop in the front vs rear by at least a .25" to combat the factory uneveness. I suggest Maxspeeds for less drop for ~$120 shipped, or my buddy has a slightly used set of Sprints (~1.8" drop) for sale in the F/S forum for $115 shipped if you want to go lower. GR2s will be great with most springs.
Well maxspeeds are still uneven as well as the sprints if they do infact give a 1.8 drop all around. It shows in your sig that you have H&R's but you went against Eibach because of an uneven drop. H&R's have the worst drop as far as uneven goes. Progress and Tein are the two closest springs to an even drop available unless you go the coilover route.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

Well maxspeeds are still uneven as well as the sprints if they do infact give a 1.8 drop all around. It shows in your sig that you have H&R's but you went against Eibach because of an uneven drop. H&R's have the worst drop as far as uneven goes. Progress and Tein are the two closest springs to an even drop available unless you go the coilover route.
Dunno about Tein and Progress being even or not, but Maxspeeds are 1.7 front and 1.4 rear, so the car sits pretty much even, and can still carry rear passengers and not be on the bump stops. And sorry, Eibachs are more uneven then H&Rs. Get some measurements and look at pics before you make that statement.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:21 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Dunno about Tein and Progress being even or not, but Maxspeeds are 1.7 front and 1.4 rear, so the car sits pretty much even, and can still carry rear passengers and not be on the bump stops. And sorry, Eibachs are more uneven then H&Rs. Get some measurements and look at pics before you make that statement.
spoken like a true hick!!! my maxspeed drop is VERY even!!!

Old 06-05-2003, 06:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

spoken like a true hick!!! my maxspeed drop is VERY even!!!
SEE! Even the yank has my back!
Old 06-05-2003, 06:37 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

I know and have pics etc. I have H&R and stock struts and SR20DEN has Eibach and stock struts and his sits more even than mine. Shall I get him to post to let you wise guys know. ALso if you would measure yourself you would know those 1.7 and 1.4 for the maxspeeds are BS. I dont know what the statement about the bumpstops is for but if you trim them like your supposed to with tein and eibach you dont have that problem. I have my facts straight so gets yours straight.

Matt
Old 06-05-2003, 06:39 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

SEE! Even the yank has my back!
Word life for ever Ya Heard Dawg!!!!
Old 06-05-2003, 06:41 AM
VQ Wizard

I have not really kept up with this but Blu has checked our cars at least a dozen times when we both had the same tires. So if he claims his H&R's are more uneven than my Eibachs I certainly wouldn't try to dispute it.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:43 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Word life for ever Ya Heard Dawg!!!!

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........no!!!

good try tho DAWG!!

I can tell the dreads of the Bronx and BK would LOVE you in their hood...hahaha

Old 06-05-2003, 06:43 AM
Blu
the tits

BTW Teins and GR2's and kyb bumpstops are waiting to be installed so no more 4x4 look for me.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

I know and have pics etc. I have H&R and stock struts and SR20DEN has Eibach and stock struts and his sits more even than mine. Shall I get him to post to let you wise guys know. ALso if you would measure yourself you would know those 1.7 and 1.4 for the maxspeeds are BS. I dont know what the statement about the bumpstops is for but if you trim them like your supposed to with tein and eibach you dont have that problem. I have my facts straight so gets yours straight.

Matt
Okay, if you want to get that technical--none of em drop as much as they say they do. I have before and after measurements of mine stock vs H&R, and my buddys stock vs Maxspeed. I have seen more than one thread with VERY uneven measurements of Eibachs. Will those Eibach folks post their before's and after's? Also, the autos are heavier in the front and will sit slightly lower.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........no!!!

good try tho DAWG!!

I can tell the dreads of the Bronx and BK would LOVE you in their hood...hahaha
fo shizzle my nizzle fo eva homie
Old 06-05-2003, 06:51 AM

Springs 101

My TEINS are NOT on my car YET, but I have been studying this topic EXTENSIVELY the past few months in order to make my upgrade.

Here's what I "think" I know:

Judging from the posts and pics -- The TEINS are the MOST EVEN drop, and probably the most dramatic (2.25 front / 1.75 Rear ~ i think!)
Although TEIN claims these are not an aggressive performance spring and are meant to emulate the STOCK RIDE with a lower drop.

Maxspeeds are cheaper, "slightly" higher in the front and a little more tightly wound = firmer ride.
H&R's are purportedly of the same manufacturing origin, and differ only in co$t.

From what I gather, the Eibachs, H&R's, & Sprint's are all a bit more FIRM in the handling dept., but are also not as EVEN in drop measurements once settled.

Again -- you have to ask yourself: is the RIDE more important, or is the DROP more important??

Make your selection now.....

OEM fit for shocks/struts is simple: TOKICO blues or KYB GR-2's

good luck!

gr
Old 06-05-2003, 06:52 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Okay, if you want to get that technical--none of em drop as much as they say they do. I have before and after measurements of mine stock vs H&R, and my buddys stock vs Maxspeed. I have seen more than one thread with VERY uneven measurements of Eibachs. Will those Eibach folks post their before's and after's? Also, the autos are heavier in the front and will sit slightly lower.

Asu174 has proven that the progress give an perfect equal drop of 26" from ground up front and rear. I have H&R now soon to be tein and they lower the rear more than the front as well as the eibach's. Teins drop is just awesome and the ride is still nice if the bump stops are trimmed etc. If you have a good eye you will be able to tell the eibachs sit a little lower in the front than the h&r approx. 1/8-1/4" lower
Old 06-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Blu
the tits

I forgot to mention I have owned maxspeeds, H&R, progress, and now teins so Im pretty knowledgable when it comes to suspension.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Asu174 has proven that the progress give an perfect equal drop of 26" from ground up front and rear. I have H&R now soon to be tein and they lower the rear more than the front as well as the eibach's. Teins drop is just awesome and the ride is still nice if the bump stops are trimmed etc. If you have a good eye you will be able to tell the eibachs sit a little lower in the front than the h&r approx. 1/8-1/4" lower
Sorry, my eyes aren't that good. If you want to challenge my comments, then by all means feel free. You pic shows little other than two nice Max's. You don't have to agree with me, but I have the measurements to back up my mouth on the Maxspeeds and H&Rs. I will be happy to post them when I get home this evening if need be.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:00 AM

How firm are the GR-2? I do want a firmer rider ride than stock, but not too firm where i feel a pebble on the road.. BTW it will the maxspeed/gr2 combo..

Also, how much more of a difference will the rsb/fstb make? Will you think it's worth getting after the max/gr2's?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:03 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by naerok
How firm are the GR-2? I do want a firmer rider ride than stock, but not too firm where i feel a pebble on the road.. BTW it will the maxspeed/gr2 combo..

Also, how much more of a difference will the rsb/fstb make? Will you think it's worth getting after the max/gr2's?
the maxspeed/gr2 combo is excellent!!! you won't be disappointed...

Old 06-05-2003, 07:07 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Sorry, my eyes aren't that good. If you want to challenge my comments, then by all means feel free. You pic shows little other than two nice Max's. You don't have to agree with me, but I have the measurements to back up my mouth on the Maxspeeds and H&Rs. I will be happy to post them when I get home this evening if need be.
I thought we where talking about Eibach and H&R . The reason Maxspeeds are more even is because the drop less in the rear than the H&R's...
Old 06-05-2003, 07:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

I thought we where talking about Eibach and H&R . The reason Maxspeeds are more even is because the drop less in the rear than the H&R's...
Yes, and yes. If search worked I could find the couple of threads I was reading before I bought springs and based my descision on. The rear drop on an Eibach car was like .25 - .5" more than the front. Eibach owners please post measurements, preferably the measurements after the springs have settled.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by naerok
This is the route I'm planning also. I'm not after drop or looks, I just want to get rid of the floaty rear end so I can feel safe hitting bupms in turns...
Old 06-05-2003, 07:30 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad

Yes, and yes. If search worked I could find the couple of threads I was reading before I bought springs and based my descision on. The rear drop on an Eibach car was like .25 - .5" more than the front. Eibach owners please post measurements, preferably the measurements after the springs have settled.
But the h&r's are the same...I dont have measurements handy but I cna tell you rear eibach and h&r have a 2 finger gap and eibach has tight 3 finger gap and h&r had loose 3 finger with over 1/8" to spare. I know this is the ghetto way to describe it but its the facts I have without the measurements in front of me.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Eibach before & after

Eibach's have been on the car now six months. Wheel gap is the same now and the day they were installed. Front drop is 1.75", rear drop is 1.0", measured directly above the center of the tire. The drop is NOT perfectly even. The gap that remains is about 1.25" in the front, and about .5" in the back. Both pics below are with the same wheels and tires.

Before

Sig is after.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:52 AM

Seems pretty even..good drop!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:04 AM

Nice car Kwd! It does sit a tad lower in the rear. I am wondering if they engineered those springs for an auto. I refer to "even drop" by looking at the rocker panels under the doors and comparing front to rear.

The H&Rs seem pretty much even. This is mine with the H&Rs:
Old 06-05-2003, 11:47 AM

Blu what exactly are you after, with all the different sets you've got...
What don't you like about the sets you've switched from as far as ride quality.
Personaly, and I mean personaly I'm not ripping anyone on their ride here, I don't like the look of the rears in the wheel well where the fender drops below the top of the tire or very close to it.
I'm not after a harsh ride but firmer and safer than stock. Is the MS/GR2 combo a good choice? Any pointers?
Thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777
Personaly, and I mean personaly I'm not ripping anyone on their ride here, I don't like the look of the rears in the wheel well where the fender drops below the top of the tire or very close to it.
I'm not after a harsh ride but firmer and safer than stock. Is the MS/GR2 combo a good choice? Any pointers?
Thanks
I'd say go with the MS/GR2 as you mentioned. Ride will be more firm than stock, and much more controlled, but not abusive.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by maximaman777
Thanks
For the price you can't beat the maxspeeds. I had them but was worried about the companies rep b/c it was a lonnnnnnnnnnng time ago. Now they have proven themselves and I would trust them. I would not go with h&r's because of the uneven drop which I currently have. The eibachs are the same but drop a little more in the front but still being uneven. I myself want a low look so thats why I opted for the teins and gr2 combo. For what your wanting I would say maxspeeds would be the best value and best ride. BTW I sold the maxspeeds back in early 02 before they got really popular and bought h&r's. Now im switching to teins for good hopefully.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:55 PM

For the price you can't beat the maxspeeds. I had them but was worried about the companies rep b/c it was a lonnnnnnnnnnng time ago. Now they have proven themselves and I would trust them. I would not go with h&r's because of the uneven drop which I currently have. The eibachs are the same but drop a little more in the front but still being uneven. I myself want a low look so thats why I opted for the teins and gr2 combo. For what your wanting I would say maxspeeds would be the best value and best ride. BTW I sold the maxspeeds back in early 02 before they got really popular and bought h&r's. Now im switching to teins for good hopefully.
Got pics?? I wanna see your uneven drop. Mine's even with H&Rs. Not very low, but even. Low enough to get rid of the 4X4 for sure though.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Blu
the tits

Got pics?? I wanna see your uneven drop. Mine's even with H&Rs. Not very low, but even. Low enough to get rid of the 4X4 for sure though.
So your gap is the same exact in the front as the rear from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender?
Old 06-05-2003, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info guys. It helps to have your decision reconfirmed.
I'll stick with the 2" gap "4x4" look I never know where I'll end up in N.GA
Old 06-05-2003, 01:23 PM

So your gap is the same exact in the front as the rear from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender?
No--the front and rear fenders are not at the same height on the body--it's deceiving. The rocker panel is the true body height. You can counter the fender-tire gap by making the car uneven with a rake f/r, but you are really making the car more uneven, though it's not as noticable by the fender lips. It's really more a preference thing.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Blu
the tits

No--the front and rear fenders are not at the same height on the body--it's deceiving. The rocker panel is the true body height. You can counter the fender-tire gap by making the car uneven with a rake f/r, but you are really making the car more uneven, though it's not as noticable by the fender lips. It's really more a preference thing.
Well thats the thing I can't stand is the front gap b/t the fender and the tire being more front to rear. Im sure its even from the top of fender to the pavement but what I dont like is having a 3 finger gap in the front and 2 finger gap in the rear. It gives it a saggy rear look which I personally can't stand...
Old 06-05-2003, 01:32 PM

Well thats the thing I can't stand is the front gap b/t the fender and the tire being more front to rear. Im sure its even from the top of fender to the pavement but what I dont like is having a 3 finger gap in the front and 2 finger gap in the rear. It gives it a saggy rear look which I personally can't stand...
Yup it look like you've got a trunk load of $hit or a lard a$$ in the back seat.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:34 PM

I agree that the fender lip gap being the same and the rocker having a rake looks good. Not to mention that with peeps in the back seat it actually levels the rockers (body) and doesn't look saggy. But the point is that Eibachs are slightly lower the back (rocker, or body) than in the front in every pic I've seen. The H&Rs don't do that, the actual body sits level---though it sags when loaded in the rear. I have a sub and box in the back of my car that lowers it a tad too.

What you refer to as "level" is actually uneven--higher in the rear. Not trying to jump down your throat or anything, just making a point.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Blu
the tits

I agree that the fender lip gap being the same and the rocker having a rake looks good. Not to mention that with peeps in the back seat it actually levels the rockers (body) and doesn't look saggy. But the point is that Eibachs are slightly lower the back (rocker, or body) than in the front in every pic I've seen. The H&Rs don't do that, the actual body sits level---though it sags when loaded in the rear. I have a sub and box in the back of my car that lowers it a tad too.

What you refer to as "level" is actually uneven--higher in the rear. Not trying to jump down your throat or anything, just making a point.
Ok point was made but I as well as others would rather have the same distance from the middle of the fender to the top or the tire making the car look level even though it has the slight crouching forward position. When I say saggy I mean less gap from the fender to the top of the tire which I think looks hidous and if people are in the back seat it makes it even worse. I agree Eibachs might sit a little lower in the rear but there also a little lower in the front. I have a loose 3 finger gap in the front and a tight 2 finger gap in the rear. Thats what I consider the saggy look well in my eyes anyway. The car might be sitting level but the way the gap looks make it look saggy. Just my opinion though
Old 06-05-2003, 01:50 PM

I have wondered why peeps that do the 1/4mi don't raise the back a little with super stiff springs an shocks. This would limit the amount of sway at launch and shifts while helping to force the fronts to the pavement.
Since Jim's isn't a daily driver he at least should try this. He may be able to launch at a higher RPM and get closer to a 12 flat with no more juice.

Quick Reply: GR-2 Pro kit combo good or bad