5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto climate control and recirc

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 09:40 AM

Auto climate control and recirc

I have a question about my 2000 Maxima GLE.

In the owners manual it says something about leaving the climate control on AUTO most of the time and that the system will determine whether to heat or air condition car.

The discussion on the function on the RECIRC button is not very clear.

It leaves me with the impression that while operating in AUTO mode the climate control system will periodically switch from RECIRC to normal.

I think that is not correct - I believe that the RECIRC fan only operates when you activate it with the button on the console.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the AUTO climate control feature actually does use RECIRC or if that is truly a manual function for the operator.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:18 AM

the recirc button cuts off cabin air from outside air...

I've run mine with auto(essentially runs the compressor all the time), and I never notice the air flow drop from the vents, as it happens when recirc is turn on...

I really don't think the climate control turns recirc on, I know it does turn it off...

I could be wrong about it turning it on thought...
Old 06-05-2003, 10:18 AM
jjs

Re: Auto climate control and recirc

Originally posted by simon tx
I have a question about my 2000 Maxima GLE.

In the owners manual it says something about leaving the climate control on AUTO most of the time and that the system will determine whether to heat or air condition car.

The discussion on the function on the RECIRC button is not very clear.

It leaves me with the impression that while operating in AUTO mode the climate control system will periodically switch from RECIRC to normal.

I think that is not correct - I believe that the RECIRC fan only operates when you activate it with the button on the console.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the AUTO climate control feature actually does use RECIRC or if that is truly a manual function for the operator.
Manual.

I have never felt it kick into recirc. You can tell by noise and vent pattern when recirc is used and Auto has not put it in that mode ever on mine.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Auto climate control and recirc

Originally posted by jjs

Manual.

I have never felt it kick into recirc. You can tell by noise and vent pattern when recirc is used and Auto has not put it in that mode ever on mine.

On my '95, auto didn't ever turn on recirc. My wife's Millenia, on the other hand, DOES go to recirc above a certain temperature, and the car cools down faster. So I've started running around with recirc on in my Max, and it stays VERY cold.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Auto climate control and recirc

Originally posted by Maximax2

On my '95, auto didn't ever turn on recirc. My wife's Millenia, on the other hand, DOES go to recirc above a certain temperature, and the car cools down faster. So I've started running around with recirc on in my Max, and it stays VERY cold.

I wish there was a way for it to start up in recirc mode. I run it in recirc mode 95% of the time. So every time I start the car, I have to hit that button!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:42 AM

Unfortunately you have to manually select "Recirc" every time. It will never do it automatically. There are Federal Mandates that regulate fresh air coming in. I don't remember the exact rules, but they default to fresh air for safety reasons. It's too hot here to not use recirc. lol
Old 06-09-2003, 10:47 AM
jjs

Actually, I would NOT want it to be automatic since it would not allow for outside air to occassionally get through the vent system and help dry out stray moisture, etc that can cause that musty smell and mold in the system, unless of course you remembered to turn it off.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:49 AM

http://www.shaklee.com/product/AirSourceMobile

Buy this and keep recirculate on!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:52 AM
jjs

Actually, I would NOT want it to be automatic since it would not allow for outside air to occassionally get through the vent system and help dry out stray moisture, etc that can cause that musty smell and mold in the system, unless of course you remembered to turn it off.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by jjs
Not dissing you but some outside air still gets in, maybe 5%? I can still smell some exhaust of other cars, etc. even with the system recircing. This has been true for all the cars/trucks I have ever owned. I run recirc pretty much all the time and have never had the musty smell in this car. Though the humidity is going way up again and I may have some problems soon.

Oh yeah, t56gen3, my wife's mini-van has 2 buttons, one for recirc and one for fresh air. It will stay in recirc all the time unless you change it (or turn the system to defrost). My daughter's isuzu has a manual lever to select recirc and it will definitely stay in recirc unless you manually change it.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by raiste

Not dissing you but some outside air still gets in, maybe 5%? I can still smell some exhaust of other cars, etc. even with the system recircing. This has been true for all the cars/trucks I have ever owned. I run recirc pretty much all the time and have never had the musty smell in this car. Though the humidity is going way up again and I may have some problems soon.

Oh yeah, t56gen3, my wife's mini-van has 2 buttons, one for recirc and one for fresh air. It will stay in recirc all the time unless you change it (or turn the system to defrost). My daughter's isuzu has a manual lever to select recirc and it will definitely stay in recirc unless you manually change it.
Different manufacturers do different things. Of course the old-style cable-switched selectors are gonna be the same. Electronic systems will mostly reset every time. My Alero did the same thing. If you want it stay where you manually select it that bad then go get yourself an Isuzu. Good luck with reliability and getting warranty repairs. Is it really that big a deal to push a button when you get in your car??? You prolly push the radio button rather frequently changing CDs and volume and stations!
Old 06-11-2003, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by t56gen3

Different manufacturers do different things. Of course the old-style cable-switched selectors are gonna be the same. Electronic systems will mostly reset every time. My Alero did the same thing. If you want it stay where you manually select it that bad then go get yourself an Isuzu. Good luck with reliability and getting warranty repairs. Is it really that big a deal to push a button when you get in your car??? You prolly push the radio button rather frequently changing CDs and volume and stations!
My point was that I don't think there is any "federal mandate" that the "recirc" has to be off every time you start the car like you said. IF I don't want to push a stupid button EVERY time I start the car, then that's my opinion (and preference) and stated as such.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by raiste

My point was that I don't think there is any "federal mandate" that the "recirc" has to be off every time you start the car like you said. IF I don't want to push a stupid button EVERY time I start the car, then that's my opinion (and preference) and stated as such.
My point was that there are regulations regarding fresh air in vehicles---not specifically that it was required to flip back to Fresh Air every time. I think you should re-read my previous post.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

auto switches automatically...

... at least on a 2002-3.

In auto mode, with the "recirc" button NOT activated, the recirc door is set to full fresh, 20% fresh, or full recirculate by the a/c controller. It monitors the temperature of the air after the evaporator compared to the interior temperature and the temperature setpoint. If the temperature off the evaporatore rises too high, it is an indication that the combination of cooling load and available cooling capacity cannot maintain a comfortable temperature. This is pretty much guaranteed to happen, for instance, when you are stuck in traffic on a hot, muggy day.

Anyway the controller will activate the recirculate door in an attempt to reduce the cooling load and maintain a lower interior temperature. So the switching is not periodic. It is based on an air temperature criterion. (with some time delay lag built in.)

That's with the "recirc" button turned off. If you turn it on, the recirc door will go to full recirculate position always. If you select the "defroster" vents (full defroster, not the mixed floor/defrost mode) the recirc button is canceled if it was on, and the recirculate door goes to 100% fresh.

Not sure whether it is identical on a 2000 (the original poster's question) but probably it is something similar.

Note that this applies only to the auto temperature control model. On Maximas with regular a/c, the recirc door is controlled by the recirc button, except when you select the "max cool" position of the temperature slider. In that case the button is overidden and the recirc door is set to recirculate. And if you switch to "defrost," again the recirc door is set to full fresh.