5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Shifting issue...not sure what it can be....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 10:01 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Shifting issue...not sure what it can be....

background: currently at 11,500 miles, car just hit a year old.

so i'm driving and everything is smoothly. 1-2-3 shifts were good, up until i shift into fourth. for some reason, it felt rougher. not notchy, just overall rougher. like it the gear didn't "fit" to go in.
i downshift and my 3rd feels exactly the same, along with my 2nd gear. i come to a stop. move it through all gears. it gets smoother until it's back to normal. i take off again, this time 1-4 is perfect. then 5th gets rough, again, as i'm downshifting, all lower gears are rough. at this point i'm completely baffled. again i come to a stop. go through all gears, it seems to go back to normal. i pop into reverse, and immediately it feels rough, and coming out of reverse, all the gears are rough until i go back to first gear, where again, it goes back to normal.

i can't find the nut to remove the fill cap on the tranny to check the leve, so i cna't check it. but looking under the car, everything seems fine. i dont' believe it's leaking, cause if it were, i would notice puddles on my driveway or at least fluid on the tranny. but nope, the tranny is spotless, STILL shiny. still clean.
so now i'm confused. discussed it with a few friends, including danny (pcguru). i havne't checked the clutch fork yet, i'll check that in the morning. but other than that, what i'm looking for is if anyone's had this problem before. i got 11,500 on the car. i don't know how the HELL something is going wrong already. it feels seriously like something is just not engaging completely so it's forcing it's way in.

any help from anyone with similiar problems. i'm taking it to the dealership on monday so all i can do is pray. obviously warranty is covering this (it better) and i'm raising these coilover tomorow so they don't blame the drop, and no i haven't bottomed out if anyone was planning on asking that.

so, anyone....help...thanx guys.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Syncro's going bad on low mileage??
Old 06-07-2003, 08:36 AM
2-Wheelin it...

anyone????