5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Apexi Or K&n

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 07:28 AM
scopium

Apexi Or K&n

ok till now i thought that K&N was the best filter... but i just recently found out that Apexi is BETTER and needs no maintenance...
i went to frankencar.com and couldnt find anything .. the links dont work...
now wich brand would u guys put your money on..?
and were can i find the APEXI filter and adapters for 5th gen?

ebay?

Old 06-13-2003, 08:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd go with the Apexi.. The oly bad thing is that they can't be reoiled. Once it gets dirty just chuck it. In a way this can be good cuz then you don't have to worry about over oil the filter and messing up the MAF
Old 06-13-2003, 08:22 AM

As far as I know, FrankenCar is your only source for the Intake. Although it's been taking Steve a long time to ship the intakes out, it's worth it. I've had both the K&N and the Apexi and the Apexi is worth the extra money to me. Others may have different opinions.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:23 AM

Re: Apexi Or K&n

Originally posted by scopium
ok till now i thought that K&N was the best filter... but i just recently found out that Apexi is BETTER and needs no maintenance...
i went to frankencar.com and couldnt find anything .. the links dont work...
now wich brand would u guys put your money on..?
and were can i find the APEXI filter and adapters for 5th gen?

ebay?
I don't know the exact website but you are right, the Apexi is the better tested filter for both filtration and maintenance. It's not really a matter of it gets dirty and chuck it but rather shake it clean and maybe lightly use an aircompressor to spray some of the dirt off but my friend has had his for over 2 years w/out problems. The problem w/ K&N and others that have to be oiled is no matter how long you let it dry, it will always hit the MAF and you may experience hesitation problems.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
I'd go with the Apexi.. The oly bad thing is that they can't be reoiled. Once it gets dirty just chuck it. In a way this can be good cuz then you don't have to worry about over oil the filter and messing up the MAF
You don't have to chuck it. You can put a vacuum on the inside blowing out and then suck all the dirt off the outside and reuse it. Frankly I prefer to chuck it and get a new one like PCGuRu2k posted. I too like the fact that you don't have to clean and reoil. I'm lazy though
Old 06-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Oh the lemmings.

You guys sure jump on the bandwagon fast.

Apexi is the bomb yo!
Old 06-13-2003, 10:42 AM

Apexi is better, IMHO
Old 06-13-2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1
Oh the lemmings.

You guys sure jump on the bandwagon fast.

Apexi is the bomb yo!
It's not a matter of jumping on the bandwagon. Every review I've read shows the Apexi beating all other on dirt trapping/hp. I've seen others beating the Apexi in hp, but at the cost of not filtering very well. I've used K&N filters for years and was hesitant to switch. The Apexi's construction is much better and the sound coupled with the FrankenCar intake is better as well.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by Virus

It's not a matter of jumping on the bandwagon. Every review I've read shows the Apexi beating all other on dirt trapping/hp. I've seen others beating the Apexi in hp, but at the cost of not filtering very well. I've used K&N filters for years and was hesitant to switch. The Apexi's construction is much better and the sound coupled with the FrankenCar intake is better as well.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=224341
Old 06-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

It's all a matter of personal preference. There is NO SIGNIFICANT gain with the APEXI over the K&N. There is a difference in sound however. And just for the people who worry about the oil messing up the MAF there is no correlation for that. There are a lot of hypotheses, but no conclusive evidence. I have used both filters on my car and the only difference I immediately noticed was the sound. The APEXI has a deeper growl.

Now with the maintenance. The APEXI is maitenance free but only lasts for 30K miles. You can't blow a filter with compressed air unless you care to damage the fibers. The same goes for vacuuming, there is a chance to damage the fibers. If you damage the fibers then you will be doing more harm than good. I currently have the APEXI, the only reason I would stick with it is for the sound, but frankly that isn't enough so I will be switching back to K&N.

Another source to find the APEXI is at www.optauto.com Its under the intake section and universal filters. I don't know the adapter you need, but it is probably on there.